What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

I get where you are coming from, however, if you are going to have the Bears as this WA team, you need to have the games where the support is going to be which will be NSW and WA
Do you think there's any truth behind this news story?

I'm leaning towards it being a News Ltd beat up to sell papers. It won't be long until it's forgotten about and the discussion shifts to Origin.

Well to be fair if the people of wa want more reason to seceede all they have to do is read grotd posts then they will want to get as far away as possible. Heck they may even build a wall between them and Queensland

heck I think we nswmen need to build a wall too up in the tweed to be safe
Everyone supports Queensland in the Origin and boos the shit out of the cockroaches when they run onto the MCG, Perth Stadium and Adelaide Oval. There's a good reason for that.

gallagher

Juniors

I'm leaning towards it being a News Ltd beat up to sell papers. It won't be long until it's forgotten about and the discussion shifts to Origin.

Everyone supports Queensland in the Origin and boos the shit out of the cockroaches when they run onto the MCG, Perth Stadium and Adelaide Oval. There's a good reason for that.
f**k your deluded. I was at optus for origin and the qlders were booed just as much as nsw.

Wb1234

Referee
People over here generally hate Vic due to AFL. Bit indifferent to NSW or QLD or any state as there really isn't a sport rivalry. Vic hate NSW for lots of reasons.
Yeh that makes sense

wa is the afl version of Queensland in league

tbf the afl exploit the wa afl clubs horribly to pay for their expansion clubs in nsw and qld

that would only make them hate them more I guess

maybe they would support league as a way to spite Victoria ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s interesting

when I went to origin in Melbourne it was the blues copping the booing. I would’ve thought wa was the same
There’s a lot of people from nsw living here. Can’t blame them, doesn’t rain much and you can get around the city in less than half a lifetime lol.

gallagher

Juniors
Yeh that makes sense

wa is the afl version of Queensland in league

tbf the afl exploit the wa afl clubs horribly to pay for their expansion clubs in nsw and qld

that would only make them hate them more I guess

maybe they would support league as a way to spite Victoria ?
Both the WA clubs make do much money that the fans don't care about that stuff. They really hate Eddie 🤣

Wb1234

Referee
There’s a lot of people from nsw living here. Can’t blame them, doesn’t rain much and you can get around the city in less than half a lifetime lol.
Most are moving to qld if they move. Wa is too far away and isolated. Qld has everything wa has but isn’t in the middle of nowhere

Colk

First Grade

I generally think it is a beat up. There are two interesting insights to be seen from this though.

1. News Ltd might be more keen on a Perth side than most people think. Most people have assumed that is not the case, however, the way they have reported about this scenario is a lot more positive than anything reported on a second New Zealand side.

2. V’Landys, due to the Bears link, seems way more effusive about a Perth side than at any other time. Like you said, I think this is somewhat due to the Origin but I generally do think that he likes to use ‘tradition’ as leverage for expansion. The Dolphins were a good example of this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
End of day I see no push back from the current rl fanbase here. That’s Important if this gets up. The 40-50k RL fans here we have right now need to be on board from day 1 for which ever club gets entry. I get the sense that after 10 years of being dicked around we’d just be happy to have a club we could go and cheer on, regardless of what’s on the logo.

Wb1234

Referee
Both the WA clubs make do much money that the fans don't care about that stuff. They really hate Eddie 🤣
Yeh I get that but he’s the afl equivalent of Phil Gould

he’s
I generally think it is a beat up. There are two interesting insights to be seen from this though.

1. News Ltd might be more keen on a Perth side than most people think. Most people have assumed that is not the case, however, the way they have reported about this scenario is a lot more positive than anything reported on a second New Zealand side.

2. V’Landys, due to the Bears link, seems way more effusive about a Perth side than at any other time. Like you said, I think this is somewhat due to the Origin but I generally do think that he likes to use ‘tradition’ as leverage for expansion. The Dolphins were a good example of this.
its not a beat up

vlandys won’t want to alienate the wa govt just to sell a few more tickets with origin

he already ticked them off once before with the rusted on afl states comments which he seems i be backing away from it

I also suspect they have gone cold on nz2 due to the warriors

he’s literally told them exactly what he wants to give them a license

with a rugby league fan as premier they would be mad not to take advtanage of that for a Perth team

Wb1234

Referee
End of day I see no push back from the current rl fanbase here. That’s Important if this gets up. The 40-50k RL fans here we have right now need to be on board from day 1 for which ever club gets entry. I get the sense that after 10 years of being dicked around we’d just be happy to have a club we could go and cheer on, regardless of what’s on the logo.
Perth can claim to be a foundation club

you can google that if you don’t know what that means lol

gallagher

Juniors
I'd might feel different if it was a current club but no one I've talked to has been against this proposal.

Perth Red

Post Whore

They’ve also been pretty clear about the 3 key criteria for team 18
1. financial sustainability. Bears bring $100mill in assets and potential to contribute a significant annual sum. That’s not to say a private consortium couldnt do same but we don’t know that yet.
2. new audience. Bears claim, which I know is probably nonsense but so was dolphins claims, that they have 200k fans waiting to watch them again. Throw in a brand new market in WA with the potential to attract 50k plus new tv viewers and that’s a big tick.
3. jnr pathways. Bears have an established and fully funded pathway System. Throw in a massivelt boosted WA jnr system and again big tick.

that’s all three of the nrls key criteria ticked and risks reduced.

now I’ve heard all this before many times over the last decade plus so I’ll believe it when I see us kick a ball in anger, but makes for interesting times when most of the media focus was on nz2.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd might feel different if it was a current club but no one I've talked to has been against this proposal.
Yeh same, few who would still rather see a proper wa owned pirates or reds instead but not many seem totally opposed. For me it comes down to how it’s set up but if it is a genuine WA club then I could def get behind it.