What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
I thought the NRL already compensated teams who move a home game here or there to regional areas or CCS. Otherwise I wouldn't see any benefit for teams taking their games to regional centres like Mudgee, Dubbo, Mackay, CC, etc.
The nrl doesn’t it’s clubs selling those games off to areas that pay for them

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only way the Bears get in is through Perth or NZ 2. Deep down they would know this
It was good to hear Moore say they knew this was the last roll of the dice to ever get back in. I think they know it, how much they are willing to compromise, and how strong a position a consortium in WA or NZ is to demand suitable terms is the interesting bit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
would majority of Perth home games be in daylight due to the time difference and TV coverage ?
depends when the ninth game is schedule for. Theoretically it could be a Saturday 9pm AEST which is 6/7pm WA time (though not sure what they do when Perth isnt at home?) or more likely Sunday 6pm which is 3pm/4pm Perth time which would be perfect.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes no sense to me to be playing a game in an oval ground with little cover, ancient facilities and a 16k capacity when there's a state of the art 45k stadium just a few kms away. Tradition doesnt pay the bills! NSO for trial games and even some NRLW games when we have WA Bears ladies team but if we have to give up home games at least play them somewhere that can earn us a quid!

Maybe we should charge the Bears LC for home games, $750k for every game they want to play in Sydney lol

Wb1234

Referee
It was good to hear Moore say they knew this was the last roll of the dice to ever get back in. I think they know it, how much they are willing to compromise, and how strong a position a consortium in WA or NZ is to demand suitable terms is the interesting bit.
With the mess the warrriors are in we will be lucky to have one nrl team in nz rather than 2

Colk

First Grade
With the mess the warrriors are in we will be lucky to have one nrl team in nz rather than 2

Don’t worry the Warriors won’t be going anywhere. I am convinced that there will be a second team eventually but they may have to invest a bit more in the pathways and help out the Warriors before they do it

Wb1234

Referee
Don’t worry the Warriors won’t be going anywhere. I am convinced that there will be a second team eventually but they may have to invest a bit more in the pathways and help out the Warriors before they do it
Yep the nrl needs to be giving them more support

Centy Coast

Juniors
Here is an Western Reds jersey from 2007 which they wore in the Independent State Championships.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-191236.png
    Screenshot_20220526-191236.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
There just can’t be more many matches at NSO otherwise this just won’t work. I’m sceptical as it is but if they push for more than say 1 or 2 home premiership games then the Bears are delusional
If not North Sydney Oval then certainly Central Coast Stadium

Centy Coast

Juniors
PVL needs to step in and say all 12 games are to be in Perth with the board being 100% owned by a Perth consortium. Bears get to retain 100% control of their NSW Cup team and juniors. If Bears don't like it then they're free to go it alone in the NSW Cup.
Not going to happen, PVL has already stated that he wasn't keen on an stand alone WA team but he seems keen on this Bears/WA partnership.

Colk

First Grade
If not North Sydney Oval then certainly Central Coast Stadium

Either or. There can’t be any home games for a WA side, other than maybe Manly. If they can negotiate a few of their away games to be played there, so be it; however, taking away games from Perth when they are supposed to be representing WA is ridiculous

Colk

First Grade
Not going to happen, PVL has already stated that he wasn't keen on an stand alone WA team but he seems keen on this Bears/WA partnership.

He has also said clearly that there isn’t room for another Sydney team.

So a partnership sure but to split home games between Sydney and Perth when they are supposed to be a West Australian side is beyond the pale.

To me this idea seems confused. For example Billy Moore referenced the Swans the other night as an example of how it would work but then went on a tangent about playing games at NSO. I don’t think the Swans play home games in Melbourne, so I don’t what they want

Wb1234

Referee
He has also said clearly that there isn’t room for another Sydney team.

So a partnership sure but to split home games between Sydney and Perth when they are supposed to be a West Australian side is beyond the pale.

To me this idea seems confused. For example Billy Moore referenced the Swans the other night as an example of how it would work but then went on a tangent about playing games at NSO. I don’t think the Swans play home games in Melbourne, so I don’t what they want
He’s a Queenslander expecting a logic argument might be a bit much

Let me see if I've got this correct...

PVL wants to revive a Sydney club that's languished in obscurity in the NSW Cup for 23 years, but only if it relocates to Perth. The club wants to play four of its twelve games (one-third) at a dilapidated cricket ground in Sydney.

That means we could end up with a club that is as irrelevant as Glebe and Newtown to an entire generation of people in Sydney playing two-thirds of its matches in a state that has bugger all locals who've ever heard of them.

Did I mention that Western Australians are more parochial than Queenslanders and don't identify with people from the east coast?

Only in rugby league could something as crazy as this proposal be taken seriously.

Colk

First Grade

PVL wants to revive a Sydney club that's languished in obscurity in the NSW Cup for 23 years, but only if it relocates to Perth. The club wants to play four of its twelve games (one-third) at a dilapidated cricket ground in Sydney.

That means we could end up with a club that is as irrelevant as Glebe and Newtown to an entire generation of people in Sydney playing two-thirds of its matches in a state that has bugger all locals who've ever heard of them.

Did I mention that Western Australians are more parochial than Queenslanders and don't identify with people from the east coast?

Only in rugby league could something as crazy as this proposal be taken seriously.

Exactly. They can’t be playing ‘home’ games in Sydney.

Wb1234

Referee

Bears aren’t stupid. This is their only chance to get back in the nrl. No previous nrl boss has entertained the idea of them returning

MugaB

Coach
PVL needs to step in and say all 12 games are to be in Perth with the board being 100% owned by a Perth consortium. Bears get to retain 100% control of their NSW Cup team and juniors. If Bears don't like it then they're free to go it alone in the NSW Cup.
Howbout you STFU, you need to leave ALL expansion threads, and go tend to your health/dogs, and stop talking smack, being a QLDer doesn't mean you're an automatic expert on Expansion, in fact its the opposite, it means you can only see expansion only by your view of the whole from QLD, all other codes have suffered from de-centralization of their inagural comp BARRR you guess it AFL, who've kept Victoria 10 club heavy and expanded, without issues, NRL should do the same, and we have the same setup, with 10 in NSW, all we need to do now is expand over the next decades, to get into WA/SA/NZ2/PNG/QLD5 for a possible 20-22 team comp, your constant bickering about the sydney heartland clubs are not only annoying but so delusional, due to the brands of these clubs are strong and embedded into the NRL, so much so, that even the bears, who lasted two seasons are revered enough by the powers that be, to get a shot of a license... in summation.... grow up

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Howbout you STFU, you need to leave ALL expansion threads, and go tend to your health/dogs, and stop talking smack
I don’t mind that Queensland anti Sydney thing. After all it’s what made origin what it is

we did rape and pillage the brl for decades

Latest posts