What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

LimeRick

Juniors
I’m not the one trolling though.

I don't see how I'm trolling. You said including Auckland, the AFL and NRL had teams in the same number of capitals, which they don't, but I pointed out they do have the same in primary cities.

I was just helping you structure your argument.

MugaB

Coach
With dolphins confirming they are going with a fire engine red white and gold kit hopefully we will go with deep scarlet red, black and yellow for a perth team if we get in, presuming it’s not the red and black of a bears club. A scarlet red like Atlanta falcons would be good.
69fc4ea0-4ea8-4f23-bd2d-cc104818d6a8_text.gif
I am a huge fan of the "NORTH SYDNEY BEARS"

Wb1234

Referee
I don't see how I'm trolling. You said including Auckland, the AFL and NRL had teams in the same number of capitals, which they don't, but I pointed out they do have the same in primary cities.

I was just helping you structure your argument.
Not you lol your point was fine

T-Boon

Coach
If an Perth team is admitted who would they share an rivalry against ?. Obviously if they are with the Bears the rivalry would be against Manly but from an Perth perspective who would be their main rival ?, Melbourne ?.
I say Melbourne because the Storm obviously gained from the Reds demise when they first entered the NRL.
rivalries arent a very big part of RL except in myth

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
If an Perth team is admitted who would they share an rivalry against ?. Obviously if they are with the Bears the rivalry would be against Manly but from an Perth perspective who would be their main rival ?, Melbourne ?.
I say Melbourne because the Storm obviously gained from the Reds demise when they first entered the NRL.
Not all rivalries need to be location based and rivalries don't need to be there from the outset. Some rivalries are developed over time through close contests, spite on the field or redemption in GF rematches.

Yes, a lot of rivalries are location based; but I would more say for most they are derbies rather than rivalries (Eg. Dragons/Sharks, Parra/Penrith). Roosters/Rabbitohs is the obvious location rivalry since RL started... and some would argue that this is a feud rather than just a rivalry.

Look at Storm/Sea Eagles to see an example or a more modern rivalry that is not location based (Battle of Brookie anybody?), and thier back-to-back GF appearances with very different results. Some of the close games between the Roosters/Storm as well as being two of the most successful clubs in NRL-era history has created a bit of a natural rivalry.

I suppose my point is that they don't need to have a rivalry straight off the bat.

siv

First Grade
It would be Adelaide

As rivalry would be based on cricket or AFL ties

siv

First Grade
Not all rivalries need to be location based and rivalries don't need to be there from the outset. Some rivalries are developed over time through close contests, spite on the field or redemption in GF rematches.

Yes, a lot of rivalries are location based; but I would more say for most they are derbies rather than rivalries (Eg. Dragons/Sharks, Parra/Penrith). Roosters/Rabbitohs is the obvious location rivalry since RL started... and some would argue that this is a feud rather than just a rivalry.

Look at Storm/Sea Eagles to see an example or a more modern rivalry that is not location based (Battle of Brookie anybody?), and thier back-to-back GF appearances with very different results. Some of the close games between the Roosters/Storm as well as being two of the most successful clubs in NRL-era history has created a bit of a natural rivalry.

I suppose my point is that they don't need to have a rivalry straight off the bat.
Others come from grand finals

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
It would be Adelaide

As rivalry would be based on cricket or AFL ties
Why does it have to be based on another sport? Just because the two states play AFL or cricket doesn’t mean they have to have a rivalry… in fact that’s more of a reason to galvanise them together against the eastern states and RL heartlands.

Maybe they have a rivalry against every NSW side as Perth would be the RL outsiders… or if they do merge with the Bears bid then maybe they have a rivalry against every NSW team because NSW didn’t want the bears in the comp? Either way, creating artificial rivalries is pointless and doesn’t add anything to the game. Natural rivalries as they develop and progress, and create their own history is far more entertaining.

siv

First Grade
Why does it have to be based on another sport? Just because the two states play AFL or cricket doesn’t mean they have to have a rivalry… in fact that’s more of a reason to galvanise them together against the eastern states and RL heartlands.

Maybe they have a rivalry against every NSW side as Perth would be the RL outsiders… or if they do merge with the Bears bid then maybe they have a rivalry against every NSW team because NSW didn’t want the bears in the comp? Either way, creating artificial rivalries is pointless and doesn’t add anything to the game. Natural rivalries as they develop and progress, and create their own history is far more entertaining.
I am saying it has to be

But thats how it will start

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Adelaide would be an no brainer but I am talking about existing NRL teams
I think it would come down to the players they pinch when they’re establishing themselves. If a Perth team recruited a majority of their players from one particular team (like Bennett trying to fill the Dolphins with Melbourne players) then that could create a bit of a grudge match… but I don’t think they honestly need to start with a rivalry…. The rivalry is already there with every other club being in the Eastern states and a Perth team representing the west.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
As Perth maybe Storm and Broncos

As the Bears, Manly, Newcastle, Tigers, Dogs, Dragons, Easts and Souths
Tell me why a Perth team would naturally have a rivalry with Melbourne or Brisbane? Is it just because they are the capital cities of states other than NSW? You’re just picking out arbitrary names and locations with little reason.

MugaB

Coach
Might depend on who gets the licence, will it be the west coast bears or west coast pirates, if its bears it will definitely be manly, if its pirates, might be the warriors..... just coz why the fk not

Perth Red

Post Whore
The games that would fill hbf park, which may lead to rivalaries, would be agaisnt souths, broncos, storm and warriors. St’s, cowboys and bulldogs would be second tier games and the rest third tier.

Reflector

Juniors

Meanwhile the AFL tries to create rivalries out of the box (Q Clash/ Battle Of The Bridge) and (like the club songs they astroturf in) it feels fake and cringe

T-Boon

Coach
There are still a few e.g. Rabbitohs v Roosters, Storm v Manly, Panthers v Eels, Eels v Manly, Eels v Bulldogs, Broncos v Cowboys and Sharks v Dragons.
except maybe parra v penrith none of those games get bigger crowds than the norm, I doubt the players care about the rivalry.
To the fans the rivalry maybe gets them to the TV 2 minutes earlier.

Latest posts