What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

The Great Dane

First Grade
we wanted another broncos, we’ve got another manly.
It's worse than that.

We could have had the Australian/RL equivalent to Man Utd/Man City, Celtic/Rangers, Yankees/Mets, etc, instead we'll have a major metro club and a niche suburban club, and the decision will force further expansion in Brisbane when it shouldn't have been a necessity.

It's a decision that will impact the sport for decades, in a similar manner to how admitting Cronulla in a deliberate effort to weaken St. George by splitting their market in half has effected the sport for generations.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Anyway back to those wa bears…..
Why? There's nothing of substance to discuss.

The only likely way that it happens is if the WA gov undermines local bids by giving the Bears backing to independently run an NRL side out of Perth, which admittedly is something that V'landys and the NRL may be inclined to push for considering their track record, but there isn't much substance to it until that happens and info on the proposal is publicly released.

My worry is that the local RL establishment in WA will be dumb enough to justify supporting it because "it's better than nothing", which isn't the case.

Wb1234

Referee
Who gives a f**k about the opinion of the Chairperson of the club in question? Well, I'd take his over yours any day of the week because he's actually involved.

Re: Swans lack of growth don't quote AFL's rubbery membership numbers at me and don't lie about all their metrics showing consistent growth. Their average crowds and TV ratings have shown stagnation after a sudden jump in the 90's around the time of the SL war. Attendances particularly show this quite starkly:

In the early 90's prior to 1995 they'd quite often hover around the 10k mark then...

1995: 17k average
1996: 27k average
1997: 39k average
During the 2000's: 33k average
Duing the 2010's: 33k average

Sure the mid 90's success probably boosted them a little bit but no club goes from 10k to 39k average in 3 years. They didn't even win a premiership in that time. It was a rebellion by Sydney sports fans against RL. They Swans have won premierships since... why not a boost up over 40k since success has such a huge effect? Reason: because it wasn't just the success of the mid 90's it was the SL war. They got a boost to their popularity and their average crowd for a single season is still their 1997 season to this day despite being a finals contender most years.

Don't get caught up in being right and let it blind you to what's actually happening.
Well said

their tv ratings are down over half from the high
Indeed afl has less ratings in Sydney now from the swans and gws combined than the swans used to get

seven used to show their games on their main channels directly against Friday night football

and their finances are patchy at best for a team that needs to make the finals to not lose fans like the lions did

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well said

their tv ratings are down over half from the high
Indeed afl has less ratings in Sydney now from the swans and gws combined than the swans used to get

seven used to show their games on their main channels directly against Friday night football

and their finances are patchy at best for a team that needs to make the finals to not lose fans like the lions did
Oh look another afl post by wb lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who the hell are VenuesWest and what do they have to do with Rugby League in the state of WA?
They’re responsible for stadium management in perth. A govt arm. They are trying to get more rental of stadiums hence meeting to try and bring magic round here and also the idea of an nrl club to better utilise hbf park. I also suspect the wa govt has an eye on making perth more attractive to east coast people to come over to work here By having an nrl club here.

Colk

First Grade
They’re responsible for stadium management in perth. A govt arm. They are trying to get more rental of stadiums hence meeting to try and bring magic round here and also the idea of an nrl club to better utilise hbf park. I also suspect the wa govt has an eye on making perth more attractive to east coast people to come over to work here By having an nrl club here.

That would be the big benefit for them you would think. There isn’t much incentive from a sports perspective to visit WA if you are from NSW and QLD. It’s a shame because it is a great part of the country

Wb1234

Referee
You’ve also got to factor in that they have earnt over $250mill a year more than the nrl for a decade. When youve got that much money you can afford follies like suns and giants, especially when it’s an investment in a long term strategy plan. I’m pretty sure if the nrl had an extra $250mill a year they might be making different decisions around expansion and investment in growth of the game.
Here’s you talking about afl

it seems like you are the only person who is allowed to detail threads talking about afl …which you always do

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here’s you talking about afl

it seems like you are the only person who is allowed to detail threads talking about afl …which you always do
At least it has a relevance to the topic at hand lol. You know this is an expansion thread? Theres a fight club section if you want to have a rant about afl lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
That would be the big benefit for them you would think. There isn’t much incentive from a sports perspective to visit WA if you are from NSW and QLD. It’s a shame because it is a great part of the country
We are desperate for workers here, it’s crazy the jobs available. Getting people to move over here is a big priority and having the opportunity to watch nrl might help east coasters decide to come. At the least it might make them visit, see how lovely it is here and want to stay!

mongoose

Coach
Yeah we keep seeing that "build a life in WA" ad on kayo lol
Perth is nice, it's very quiet though, even compared to Brissie.
Hopefully the NRL comes to their senses and seizes the opportunity soon....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've answered that question for you multiple times, and each time you have ignored the answer and proceeded to claim that I dodged the question.

So considering that, why would I bother answering the question again when you'll undoubtably just ignore it again. I'd just be wasting more of my time.

If we allow for good administration by the NRL and a bit of malleability in the bids, then pretty much all of the serious ones were better with the possible exception of the solo Ipswich bid.

If we include bids from outside of Brisbane then the Dolphins wouldn't even be in the top three.

The Dolphins only got up because News stuck their noses in and the NRL seems to be run for the sole purpose of selling nostalgia to old men at the expense of the future. It's why I wouldn't rule out the Bears winning the 18th license at this point, they'd be right up the V'landys administration's ally.
If it is clear that the NRL is adding an additional team and that they want that team in Brisbane and an interested party fails to put in a bid, they they don't deserve a spot in the NRL.

If you are talking about the Firehawks, please give us a rundown of why the bid was so much more impressive against each of the the criteria set out by the NRL compared the the Dolphins' bid.

Wb1234

Referee
At least it has a relevance to the topic at hand lol. You know this is an expansion thread? Theres a fight club section if you want to have a rant about afl lol
Everyone is just used to you always talking about afl so they mainly ignore it

if there’s anyone guilty of derailing threads about afl it’s you

I’m just responding to other peoples comments

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Daily Telegraph spotted Bears chairman Daniel Dickson and club legend and board member Billy Moore discussing the club’s future over coffee on Friday morning in the Perth CBD.Dickson and Moore will attend State of Origin II at Optus Stadium on Sunday night before meeting with members of the WA Parliament on Monday evening.While a marriage between the Bears and Perth is far from complete, Dickson and Moore’s decision to travel west further indicates growing interest between the two parties.Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.“We are exploring the best position for the Bears in the hope of returning to the NRL as the 18th team and Perth have suggested very strong interest for a partnership,” Dickson said.“We will be meeting people from VenuesWest, which is the WA Government consortium, and they are putting together the proposal for a Perth bid. We have been discussing the possibility of this for several months now.“While in Perth, we have a dinner on Monday night with various ministers who are supporting the potential admission of a Perth-based team.”We have been talking to these people three to four times a week so we’re pretty serious in considering them.”Perth is one avenue the Bears are exploring along with a rural bid which entails playing some games at North Sydney Oval and others in the country, possibly Coffs Harbour.The Bears appear to be early favourites for the 18th franchise license should the NRL announce expansion plans.The NRL commission could potentially award the Bears the additional franchise but then direct the club to play out of a certain city.“There are a lot of places wanting the Bears heritage, brand and history,” Dickson said. “That’s not a secret.“But for us, it’s very important to be a successful partner with the NRL so we are exploring all options to ensure the best position for the Bears’ members and fans.“The Bears also have a desire to consider regional NSW. That’s not off the cards and is something we will be in consultation with the NRL over.”Perth’s chances will be enhanced through a 60,000 sellout crowd for Origin II at Optus Stadium.Christchurch has been mooted as another possible 18th franchise location along with a third team in Brisbane.The Bears have gathered remarkable support since the club announced last year it would again pursue re-entry into the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Bears bid sparks hope of new WA NRL team​

As State of Origin returns to Perth, there is growing hope that for the first time since the Super League war Western Australia could finally get its own NRL team.
Origin II is nearing a sellout at Optus Stadium with the North Sydney Bears using the opportunity to meet with the WA government about plans to relocate one of the game's foundation clubs to Perth.
The NRL will expand to 17 teams next year following the decision to admit the Redcliffe-based Dolphins, with the potential to go to 18 sides mooted for as early as 2025.

A second New Zealand team looms as another serious option but a Perth side has the benefit of being able to open up a new TV timeslot for the NRL as well as drawing in corporate support.
"For kids, it can be quite a powerful thing if they have the luxury of looking at their stars and watching them play and train every week," NRL WA general manager John Sackson told AAP.
"It is quite an inspirational tool.
"Without an NRL side it can be quite challenging for talented West Australian boys and girls, who have to leave the state to get to the top of the game."

Rugby league hasn't had a presence at the elite level in the West since the demise of the Perth Reds in 1997 and remains the only major code without a team in WA.
Despite that, Sackson says there are still 4000 participants, with Parramatta's Waqa Blake and Cronulla's Royce Hunt both recent products of WA.
"With the NRLW expanding it would be great to see more female athletes make it at the elite level," Sackson said.
The Bears, who haven't been a top-flight side since 1999, would play most of their home games in Perth with a few at their spiritual home of North Sydney Oval.
It is helped that as a result of Perth hosting games at the FIFA Women's World Cup next year, the city's primary rectangular stadium HBF Park is due for a $35 million facelift.
"You probably need a rectangular stadium because with the Reds playing at the WACA, fans you were hoping would fall in love with the game were a long way from the action" said NSW Blues football manager Peter Parr, who previously worked for the Reds.

"Attracting players wouldn't be an issue. Every time I've come here the players have always enjoyed the town.
"You would have to have the right infrastructure here before you started and I'm not privy to any of the proposals but I do know that if you did it properly you could have a successful franchise here."

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Perth is one avenue the Bears are exploring along with a rural bid which entails playing some games at North Sydney Oval and others in the country, possibly Coffs Harbour.
Honest to f**king God, they`re having a laugh aren`t they, I`ll eat my hat and walk naked backwards to Sydney if that one ever comes off.

ground zero

Juniors
North Sydney Bears will screw Perth over , just like Manly screwed over the Northern Eagles. Don,t trust the bears. Perth Pirates, Reds etc. Fully owned by Western Australians.

Canard

Immortal

Bears bid sparks hope of new WA NRL team​

As State of Origin returns to Perth, there is growing hope that for the first time since the Super League war Western Australia could finally get its own NRL team.
Origin II is nearing a sellout at Optus Stadium with the North Sydney Bears using the opportunity to meet with the WA government about plans to relocate one of the game's foundation clubs to Perth.
The NRL will expand to 17 teams next year following the decision to admit the Redcliffe-based Dolphins, with the potential to go to 18 sides mooted for as early as 2025.

A second New Zealand team looms as another serious option but a Perth side has the benefit of being able to open up a new TV timeslot for the NRL as well as drawing in corporate support.
"For kids, it can be quite a powerful thing if they have the luxury of looking at their stars and watching them play and train every week," NRL WA general manager John Sackson told AAP.
"It is quite an inspirational tool.
"Without an NRL side it can be quite challenging for talented West Australian boys and girls, who have to leave the state to get to the top of the game."

Rugby league hasn't had a presence at the elite level in the West since the demise of the Perth Reds in 1997 and remains the only major code without a team in WA.
Despite that, Sackson says there are still 4000 participants, with Parramatta's Waqa Blake and Cronulla's Royce Hunt both recent products of WA.
"With the NRLW expanding it would be great to see more female athletes make it at the elite level," Sackson said.
The Bears, who haven't been a top-flight side since 1999, would play most of their home games in Perth with a few at their spiritual home of North Sydney Oval.
It is helped that as a result of Perth hosting games at the FIFA Women's World Cup next year, the city's primary rectangular stadium HBF Park is due for a $35 million facelift.
"You probably need a rectangular stadium because with the Reds playing at the WACA, fans you were hoping would fall in love with the game were a long way from the action" said NSW Blues football manager Peter Parr, who previously worked for the Reds.

"Attracting players wouldn't be an issue. Every time I've come here the players have always enjoyed the town.
"You would have to have the right infrastructure here before you started and I'm not privy to any of the proposals but I do know that if you did it properly you could have a successful franchise here."

The Bears were at Melbourne for the 2018 Origin also(I've got the photos to prove it, if you want reciepts), seems Origin out of town is there annual junket paid for by the Clubs small financial membership.

Reactions: Vee

Latest posts