What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Good luck selling games at that rate. $300k is the going rate in most cases.

Most Sydney clubs likely will draw lower in Perth. That is the game you would take over
Sydney clubs draw low crowds everywhere. Even in Sydney.

Given the state it’s in they can’t charge much rent for it

compared to the stadia Sydney clubs largely have it’s almost an embarrassment

that’s the difference when you have a state government recognises league as its primary football code

I mean just compare Optus to hbf park

Rugby League has been played in Sydney since 1908, yet it didn't build the SFS until the late 1980s. It took another 30 years to get Parramatta Stadium rebuilt into something decent. SFS doesn't reopen until this year. Brookvale, Leichhardt, Wollongong Showgrounds have a terrace on their eastern sidelines for hicks to squat their arse on grass. Shark Park is a joke.

Last edited:
The Queensland govt spent hundreds of millions on Suncorp they don’t care the new brisbane team isn’t playing all their games there

it’s like literally two games lmao

this argument is a stretch even for you
Lang Park was upgraded in 2003. That's 20 years before The Dolphins will play their first NRL game. It's been the main tennant for the Broncos, Reds and Roar over the bulk of the last 19 years.

Dolphin Oval was recently upgraded into a boutique ground. It's not a dilapidated cricket ground like NSO.

Wb1234

Referee
Lang Park was upgraded in 2003. That's 20 years before The Dolphins will play their first NRL game. It's been the main tennant for the Broncos, Reds and Roar over the bulk of the last 19 years.

Dolphin Oval was recently upgraded into a boutique ground. It's not a dilapidated cricket ground like NSO.
Lmao you’re defending dolphin oval

and Sunshine Coast stadium isn’t good either

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
He missed off the bit that said " And that's what News ltd told us they wanted" lol
We all scoffed at THE Bears NSW bid yet Dolphins have done the same and the NRL have gone with it!
I know I won't change your (or TGD's) mind and that's find, you don't have to change your mind. But I'm presenting the evidence as to why they were accepted against the criteria and all we keep hearing is that they weren't the best bid. From the bids that came in, they were the best and strongest so I don't know what you wanted the NRL to do.

As far as the News Ltd stuff you guys go on with, that is just a tin foil hat conspiracy that may have legs if the second or third best bid won the spot.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
yes that and their zero commitment to perth with their constant 'we could go anywhere' line. Not to mention their arrogance that they think its all about them lol
It seems also that the jersey design is not negotiable which might rule out any of the cool designs you and others have been posting here. Also, probably no gold strip (which would probably make it feel slightly more WA)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As I've said before I can live with 11 games in Perth and one v Manly at NSO. That's fair to the NS fans which will help memberships over there and doesn't massively impact Perth. Its also good business as will sell out and boost memberships.
Then the club should be talking with the other Sydney clubs about a membership that includes games against Eels, Souths, Dogs, Tigers and Roosters and/or Manly. Ideally all at SFS or Commbank. Again that would make commercial sense and give NS fans a 5 or 6 game membership with one game at NS Oval and 4 or 5 at decent stadiums that are close. If Perth can sell 5-10k memberships in Sydney with that sort of arrangement it makes good business sense to do so. On top of the 15-20k membership target in Perth you have a club from day 1 with a very healthy active membership base.
What are your thoughts if the NRL was to come out and admit The West Coast Bears as team 18 under all of the Bears' conditions (logo, jersey, 100% ownership etc.) except the licence is tied to the condition that all 12 games must be played in Perth.

I know this is extremely hypothetical but how would you feel about that arrangement as presumably a member of the club? It would still essentially be the North Sydney Bears but being forced to play 100% in Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What are your thoughts if the NRL was to come out and admit The West Coast Bears as team 18 under all of the Bears' conditions (logo, jersey, 100% ownership etc.) except the licence is tied to the condition that all 12 games must be played in Perth.

I know this is extremely hypothetical but how would you feel about that arrangement as presumably a member of the club? It would still essentially be the North Sydney Bears but being forced to play 100% in Perth.
Me personally, and many others going by comments on WA RL pages, I wouldn't get behind them with my full commitment. I'd go to a few games a year that I pick and chose depending on opposition but that's about it, at least for the first few years.
Why you may ask.
Well if it is owned by the NS Bears I can guarantee at some point it will go tits up. There will be a constant white anting to move back to NS more and more, it will be talked about by the sydney media as a NS club playing in Perth and when it eventually happens it will kill the game here for decades. I want no part of that. The NRL can give whatever assurances it likes but when push came to shove they need an 18 club to fulfill TV deal and as we saw with Manly they wont get involved.
If it is WA Bears owned by WA people then I will be first in line to buy a full membership even if we only had 9 games here and played in the traditional red and black of Bears. Ownership of the club is the critical part for me and should be the non negotiable for the NRL and the WA Govt. I've said from the day this first came out that it can not be seen as NS Bears playing in Perth. That will kill fan and corporate support for the club here from day one, WA is incredibly parochial, even more so now. It wont support a Sydney club playing here under false pretenses.

Colk

First Grade
Me personally, and many others going by comments on WA RL pages, I wouldn't get behind them with my full commitment. I'd go to a few games a year that I pick and chose depending on opposition but that's about it, at least for the first few years.
Why you may ask.
Well if it is owned by the NS Bears I can guarantee at some point it will go tits up. There will be a constant white anting to move back to NS more and more, it will be talked about by the sydney media as a NS club playing in Perth and when it eventually happens it will kill the game here for decades. I want no part of that. The NRL can give whatever assurances it likes but when push came to shove they need an 18 club to fulfill TV deal and as we saw with Manly they wont get involved.
If it is WA Bears owned by WA people then I will be first in line to buy a full membership even if we only had 9 games here and played in the traditional red and black of Bears. Ownership of the club is the critical part for me and should be the non negotiable for the NRL and the WA Govt. I've said from the day this first came out that it can not be seen as NS Bears playing in Perth. That will kill fan and corporate support for the club here from day one, WA is incredibly parochial, even more so now. It wont support a Sydney club playing here under false pretenses.

If you had the ownership with the NS Bears that would always the risk. The only way a relocation works in other codes/sports is when the ownership changes hands and the league backs it as such.

The ARLC has to guarantee that this is a Perth side or if it went to NZ or Adelaide or wherever else, that it would remain at that location and not as a way to angle back to NSW/North Sydney. V’Landys has mentioned that they can’t be another Sydney side but if push come to shove would they back that up

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you had the ownership with the NS Bears that would always the risk. The only way a relocation works in other codes/sports is when the ownership changes hands and the league backs it as such.

The ARLC has to guarantee that this is a Perth side or if it went to NZ or Adelaide or wherever else, that it would remain at that location and not as a way to angle back to NSW/North Sydney. V’Landys has mentioned that they can’t be another Sydney side but if push come to shove would they back that up
Exactly, also it’s not like we don’t have some other options for perth. Allowing NS to own a perth club would be stupid in the extreme. Allowing NS to be partner in a perth owned club, now that’s got some interesting benefits.

Wb1234

Referee
Why you may ask.
I love how selfish rugby league fans are

you had zero care when manly did this to norths

rugby league is built on selfishness if the bears did it it’s perfectly normal behaviour

but it’s easily solved by putting a condition on the license that only 2 games a year will be played in Sydney

if the team isn’t getting any fans in Perth it will be because there isn’t a market for the sport there not because the bears own it

Reactions: siv

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why you may ask.
Good points.

I see a few positives about the Bears' involvement but ultimately for Perth it may be best to just ignore them and go it alone. As you point out, they can put a very compelling case forward without the Bears. I assume they couldn't because the Bears would intervene with legal action (see Gold Coast Dolphins) but it would be a real slap in the face if a WA bid went it alone as the West Coast Bears wearing the red and black - lol

Perth Red

Post Whore

rugby league is built on selfishness if the bears did it it’s perfectly normal behaviour

but it’s easily solved by putting a condition on the license that only 2 games a year will be played in Sydney

if the team isn’t getting any fans in Perth it will be because there isn’t a market for the sport there not because the bears own it
how do you know I had zero care? lol
I thought Bears got badly shafted twice. It wasn't fair and is one of the reasons Id hate to see WA get shafted a second time as well. Personally I thought the NRl was stupid and should have tied the license to Gosford, then let Manly and bears fight it out who took it when the merger failed but insisted it stayed in Gosford. Again I can see exactly the same scenario happening in Perth with a club owned by NS.

Nope it will be because the Rl fans here can see its a sham and will treat it as such. We want OUR OWN team to support, not hard to understand even for someone as simple as you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good points.

I see a few positives about the Bears' involvement but ultimately for Perth it may be best to just ignore them and go it alone. As you point out, they can put a very compelling case forward without the Bears. I assume they couldn't because the Bears would intervene with legal action (see Gold Coast Dolphins) but it would be a real slap in the face if a WA bid went it alone as the West Coast Bears wearing the red and black - lol
There'd be no point to that, if we go it alone it will be as the Pirates, Reds or god forbid Quokkas lol
Like I've said Id rather wait another ten years for a proper Perth club than get a sham Sydney club that failed after a few years and moved back to NSW.

Wb1234

Referee
I thought Bears got badly shafted twice. It wasn't fair and is one of the reasons Id hate to see WA get shafted a second time as well. Personally I thought the NRl was stupid and should have tied the license to Gosford, then let Manly and bears fight it out who took it when the merger failed but insisted it stayed in Gosford. Again I can see exactly the same scenario happening in Perth with a club owned by NS.

Nope it will be because the Rl fans here can see its a sham and will treat it as such. We want OUR OWN team to support, not hard to understand even for someone as simple as you.
That’s an interesting reply

it sounded like you had zero empathy for the bears. Or if anything were happy they got cut out

I suspect some of the anti bears people here are happy they got cut out out of pure spite

the arrogance of manly fans I wouldn’t complain if they got booted for the bears to return on their own just so they can see what it feels like

the arlc was weak back then they would never have stood up to manly.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Please...its only because the broadcasters have said he could, our previous leaders were being run out of town by Murdoch media as they didnt do as they were told.
He was even allowed to go to England for a horse race the other week with barely a ripple in the media....sooooo committed to RL.
You do realise that he runs the horse racing as well 😂😂😂

Centy Coast

Juniors
That’s an interesting reply

it sounded like you had zero empathy for the bears. Or if anything were happy they got cut out

I suspect some of the anti bears people here are happy they got cut out out of pure spite

the arrogance of manly fans I wouldn’t complain if they got booted for the bears to return on their own just so they can see what it feels like

the arlc was weak back then they would never have stood up to manly.
The ARLC were highly influenced by both Ken Arthurson and Bob Fulton, who were then leading figures within the ARL, as soon as it was announced that the Northern Eagles license would go to Manly if the merger failed to work both Arko and Fulton would have been doing everything in their power to get their beloved Sea Eagles back.
And honestly who can blame them.
That decision was just plain dumb and the NRL should've taken control over that license.

reanimate

Bench

Gosford and the Central Coast pale in importance compared to getting the North Shore and Northern Beaches right. The licence should have been tied to the two regions being combined into one permanently. That way Manly and the Bears would have been forced to work together in a positive fashion, or if one managed to white ant and kill off the other, at least there’d only be one controlling interest in the new combined region going forward.

It would have avoided the idiotic status quo, where the merger failed, the two separate territories still exist, with one in first grade and one clinging to life and serving little purpose other than to waste everyone’s time on re-entry bid after re-entry bid that has one eye on an overcrowded Sydney market.

Using your argument, the fact that North Sydney Bears fans haven't embraced the Manly Sea Eagles over the last 20 years means there isn't an appetite for rugby league on the North Shore.

Latest posts