What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
You're missing my point.

News cynically pondered to the frustrations of the non-NSW RL community.

It matters not whether they meant to fulfill their whole hype, the point is that they exploited GENUINE grievances to get that disgruntled section of the game on their payroll.

In an ideal world, the organizers of the rebel comp would have backed their clubs more, and not sold some of them out through sheer self-interest.

The point is, enough people felt so deeply frustrated with the lack of a coherent vision & strategy from the ARL that they were prepared to ally with a snake like Murdoch.... now does THAT demonstrate how frustrated they were?
People got sold snake oil

if Murdoch had left alone all those clubs like Perth would still be there

even Wayne bennett said if he knew how super league turned out they wouldn’t have done it

the arlc today is just putting back clubs they admitted in 95 that’s how far back it set the game

Wb1234

Referee
It's embarrassing that every NRL club in Sydney is dwarfed by the Swans.

• Operating revenue increasing year-on-year by 39% to $42.5 million
  • 50,144 Swans members
  • Sponsorship and hospitality revenue of $15.2m [up from $10.8m in 2020]

The only way we'll get a Sydney club to beat the Swans on all of these metrics is by getting rid of 3 or 4 clubs so whoever is left can grow over the next 30 years. It took the Swans decades to get to this point. The same will hold true for NRL.
Afl is doing well in Sydney

grotd solution … get rid of rugby leagues club.

this is 4d chess right here

even Wayne bennett said if he knew how super league turned out they wouldn’t have done it

the arlc today is just putting back clubs they admitted in 95 that’s how far back it set the game

The stipulations enforced on the four expansion clubs by the ARL bankrupted them. Reds were buggered in 1995 and needed News Ltd's money to see out the season. If they didn't sign with News Ltd then they would have folded mid-season. Cowboys and Warriors were in a perilous position as well and signed with News Ltd to guarantee their survival. Crushers were in trouble before the 1995 season began and had no chance of surviving. To suggest all for clubs would have survived if Super League never occurred is just plain f**king delusional. Arthurson and Quayle were a couple of hicks who didn't have a clue. Their idiocy, incompetence and bias set the game back 25 to 35 years. The only people who admire them are biased fans from Sydney who want a return to the NSWRFL.

Afl is doing well in Sydney

grotd solution … get rid of rugby leagues club.

this is 4d chess right here

Swans are doing well because they were given a chance to grow without having to compete with eight to ten other clubs for sponsors, fans, media coverage and players. GWS are struggling because the market for fumbleball in Sydney can only support one club. When the NSWRL expanded it more or less forced its clubs out of a small pond and put them in a lake with much bigger fish. More large fish made their way into the lake in 1995, 1998, and 2023 after a few freak floods occurred and allowed them to enter this closed ecosystem. The smaller fish from Sydney are falling further down the food chain.

flippikat

Bench

We don't know if Perth would still be there. The travel & accommodation costs were a huge burden. Likewise all the other '95 expansion teams.

Adelaide may never have even happened (I don't recall the ARL ever having a plan for that).

Melbourne was probably likely, but I doubting would have seen the near-immediate success the Storm had (premiership in their 2nd season? Unheard of for an expansion team!)

As it panned out, the Storm benefitted from picking the bones of axed clubs squads.. Unless the ARL cut their Melbourne club some concessions for their first few years, they'd likely struggle for their first few years.. maybe even a decade.

Wb1234

Referee
We don't know if Perth would still be there. The travel & accommodation costs were a huge burden. Likewise all the other '95 expansion teams.

Adelaide may never have even happened (I don't recall the ARL ever having a plan for that).

Melbourne was probably likely, but I doubting would have seen the near-immediate success the Storm had (premiership in their 2nd season? Unheard of for an expansion team!)

As it panned out, the Storm benefitted from picking the bones of axed clubs squads.. Unless the ARL cut their Melbourne club some concessions for their first few years, they'd likely struggle for their first few years.. maybe even a decade.
Keep scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments lol

Wb1234

Referee
The stipulations enforced on the four expansion clubs by the ARL bankrupted them. Reds were buggered in 1995 and needed News Ltd's money to see out the season. If they didn't sign with News Ltd then they would have folded mid-season. Cowboys and Warriors were in a perilous position as well and signed with News Ltd to guarantee their survival. Crushers were in trouble before the 1995 season began and had no chance of surviving. To suggest all for clubs would have survived if Super League never occurred is just plain f**king delusional. Arthurson and Quayle were a couple of hicks who didn't have a clue. Their idiocy, incompetence and bias set the game back 25 to 35 years. The only people who admire them are biased fans from Sydney who want a return to the NSWRFL.

Swans are doing well because they were given a chance to grow without having to compete with eight to ten other clubs for sponsors, fans, media coverage and players. GWS are struggling because the market for fumbleball in Sydney can only support one club. When the NSWRL expanded it more or less forced its clubs out of a small pond and put them in a lake with much bigger fish. More large fish made their way into the lake in 1995, 1998, and 2023 after a few freak floods occurred and allowed them to enter this closed ecosystem. The smaller fish from Sydney are falling further down the food chain.
Yep the arl admitted them with a secret plan they would fail a few years after

now it’s five d chess thinking

even the idiots at news ltd admitted Quayle was one of the best administrators around

The Great Dane

First Grade
LOL, you weren’t alive during the 90s were you.

The Crushers wouldn’t have made it to 2000, they were broke and asking the league for loans before they’d even kicked a ball in anger.

The Reds might have lasted a little longer, but they were circling the drain as well. Unless they got very lucky, i.e. they found an angel investor, they weren’t long for this world either.

The Warriors did get lucky, and they wouldn’t have made it to the point where they could lucky if it wasn’t for the SL money.

Let’s not go to deep into the other clubs, but for the most part they were all varying levels of f**ked with the exception of the Broncos, whom were actively being stifled by the league at every turn.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep the arl admitted them with a secret plan they would fail a few years after

now it’s five d chess thinking

even the idiots at news ltd admitted Quayle was one of the best administrators around
They definitely admitted the Giants knowing that they’d almost certainly fail. So it isn’t impossible that they did the same with other clubs as well I guess.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why are we talking about the Super League war? It was what it was but it is not really an excuse to continue to play it safe; or the general misdirection and mismanagement of the game over the past 20 years.

Hopefully that changes or if changing and the game finally reaches its potential
Yeh been used as an excuse for too long. The nrl has had $4BILLLION in revenue in last ten years. All we’ve got show for it is titans and a sustainable melbourne.

Wb1234

Referee
Your flippant reply (without addressing any of the points I raised) speaks volumes for your regard of the game outside NSW.
If it wasn’t for the nswrl expansion there would be no nrl

as much as this might upset people the nrl will always reflect this

we’ve had two bosses from Queensland who talked a lot about expansion then wet their pants when the clubs said no.

Marlins

Juniors
It’s looking more and more likely the Bears will return to the NRL, but not with Perth. I really can’t see Perth getting behind the Bears, the Bears still want to be North Sydney based. The 18th license will probably go to NSB but like the Redcliffe Dolphins they will drop the geographical name. The Bears will take a few games to country NSW and the rest will be split between CC & NSO. Maybe one day we’ll see a Perth based team again but it won’t be with The Bears, and they won’t be the 18th team.

It’s looking more and more likely the Bears will return to the NRL, but not with Perth. I really can’t see Perth getting behind the Bears, the Bears still want to be North Sydney based. The 18th license will probably go to NSB but like the Redcliffe Dolphins they will drop the geographical name. The Bears will take a few games to country NSW and the rest will be split between CC & NSO. Maybe one day we’ll see a Perth based team again but it won’t be with The Bears, and they won’t be the 18th team.
If this happens I might give up on the NRL and just go support Wynnum Manly. The only thing that keeps me watching the NRL is my love for the Cowboys. If North Queensland dropped down to Queensland Cup I would abandon NRL in a heartbeat.

flippikat

Bench
That would be the most insular, backwards-thinking, regressive move in NSWRL/ARL/NRL history - and on the history so far, that's saying a lot.

I despair at our administrators & the entire RL community if that happens.

Marlins

Juniors
The Bears ain’t as bad as option as some of you make out. Are they the best option? Probably not. Still, more teams the better, and the bears should have a team. I’m a person who believes promotion and relegation would work. I’m rooting for the dolphins and whoever gets the nod as the 18th team just so it might encourage the NRL to grow the game.

The Bears ain’t as bad as option as some of you make out. Are they the best option? Probably not. Still, more teams the better, and the bears should have a team. I’m a person who believes promotion and relegation would work. I’m rooting for the dolphins and whoever gets the nod as the 18th team just so it might encourage the NRL to grow the game.
The game needs less shit tiny Sydney clubs. Not more. Cronulla bring in just $2.77M million from sponsorship despite playing finals footy for years. Cowboys brought in more than $7M from its sponsors last year despite being cellar dwellings since the 2017 GF.

When a regional team earns almost three times as much as a Sydney-based team it proves the market cannot support nine teams in Sydney. Adding a tenth would be lunacy.