What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
investment in nrlwa to turn the trickle into a pour plus partnerships with PNG and Tigers. Jnr development sorted.

club 18 wont be decided by who got the most news articles in the telegraph and smh. I'm sure the perth consortiums are busy at work ready for the opportunity to bid once NRL decides where it wants club 18 based.

Dolphins have literally signed 26 out of 27 players so far from other clubs plus the best young talent from other regions they can get to bolster their jnrs. Its hypocrisy to say perth signing players is a problem when that's exactly what the dolphins are doing. Every club runs elite development systems, Perth will be no different. Sourcing those good jnrs from WA, PNG and Brisbane is all we need to do.

MugaB

Coach
investment in nrlwa to turn the trickle into a pour plus partnerships with PNG and Tigers. Jnr development sorted.

club 18 wont be decided by who got the most news articles in the telegraph and smh. I'm sure the perth consortiums are busy at work ready for the opportunity to bid once NRL decides where it wants club 18 based.

Dolphins have literally signed 26 out of 27 players so far from other clubs plus the best young talent from other regions they can get to bolster their jnrs. Its hypocrisy to say perth signing players is a problem when that's exactly what the dolphins are doing. Every club runs elite development systems, Perth will be no different. Sourcing those good jnrs from WA, PNG and Brisbane is all we need to do.
FMD leave Png alone already

Canard

Immortal
I'm under 40 and love the BRL. I wouldn't rule out a BRL team becoming Brisbane's third NRL club within the next 15 years and one buying into the Titans if they fall into financial strife again, but Perth and NZ 2 need to come first.

That's not even remotely the same as the return of the BRL though.

It's one club, and even that is a crazy long shot.

Canard

Immortal
Its a massive untapped resource for jnr talent, exactly what perth needs. It makes perfect sense for a partnership. Apparently Dolphins are sorted in this area so no point png continuing a partnership with them.

It's not offering anything for you to invent a connection with PNG.

Sell it on the merits of Perth and WA

flippikat

Bench

If we see a 4th SE Qld team added to the NRL from the existing Qld Cup teams, AND another of those clubs buy-out an ailing Titans club, then we're getting close to the "what if the NSWRL and BRL merged in 1988 (strongest teams in each comp going to the new top tier), then added teams from there?" scenario, though - about 40 years late, but still....

Especially if the club that buys the Titans rebrands the team to something that aligns more with their Qld Cup identity.

Last edited:

The BRL was unsustainable. Nine teams in Brisbane was too much in 1987 and would be just as bad today. I think the Brisbane metro area can only support a maximum of three professional RL clubs.

Canard

Immortal
Two

dolphins are the first
No shit sherlock.
If we see a 4th SE Qld team added to the NRL from the existing Qld Cup teams, AND another of those clubs buy-out an ailing Titans club, then we're getting close to the "what if the NSWRL and BRL merged in 1988 (strongest teams in each comp going to the new top tier), then added teams from there?" scenario, though - about 40 years late, but still....

Especially if the club that buys the Titans rebrands the team to something that aligns more with their Qld Cup identity.
I think QLD is at its limit now, 3 clubs in the SE and 1 in the north is a good spread

I cant see the Titans being "taken" over by a Brisbane club, and I don't see the strategic value of doing this.

Its other markets that are needed now (WA, SA or NZ)

MugaB

Coach
No shit sherlock.

I think QLD is at its limit now, 3 clubs in the SE and 1 in the north is a good spread

I cant see the Titans being "taken" over by a Brisbane club, and I don't see the strategic value of doing this.

Its other markets that are needed now (WA, SA or NZ)
Or countries.......

.......png

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I've still yet to see any research that shows that talent production is a numbers game rather than a quality of pathways game. So lets say there are 100k kids playing Rl now, and out of that 100k kids we get 50 a year make the NRL first grade. Hypothetically If we doubled the number of kids playing to 200k would that mean we would A) get 100 kids a year ready for NRL first grade or B) still only get 50 kids making first grade but they would be better quality or C) neither?

The argument over talent in first grade always seems to focus on participation numbers but I'm not so sure. I think quality of coaching, training, nutrition, psychology, talent spotting pathway to 1st grade in your city etc etc could be equally, if not more, important for jnr systems. Some evidence that backs up my theory:

1. Panthers have always had a massive jnr participation region but only in recent years have they got serious about offering a very high quality pathway experience. This is now showing in the quality of first grader they are bringing through has improved significantly.

2. In the lead up to a country hosting the Olympics they spend a lot of money on sports preparation, participation numbers in those sports dont go up yet performance does as the host countries often get record medal hauls.

3. Despite a few thousand jnrs in Victoria the money spent on grassroots there is a pittance and has failed to produce any significant talent despite having a successful 1st grade team for 25 years.

4. PNG has a massive playing pool, yet has produced very few NRL players

5. NFL has expanded number of teams significantly but there has not been any significant increase in college players during that period, yet the NFL quality has not been diluted.

So is it numbers or systems thats the problem? Personally I think its more systems.
Part of this has to do with the NRL clubs too though. Their selectors go out and search for this talent; not only in their own back yard but in other's as well. Recruiters can't be everywhere at every game every year so theres every possibility that some talent has slipped through the cracks for a multitude of reasons (Kid was sick/injured when recruiters were around their way, Might have been away that week, Recruiters weren't at their field that weekend, etc). With more clubs there are more recruiters out looking for players to discover new talent; but they can only pay so many.... So I'm sure there are a raft of guys that might have been good enough but were never looked at.

The other thing is that NRL has a host of players move over to the English game every year; I'd almost say enough NRL level talent to fill a team every year. Another club opens up spots for some of those guys to be retained or to come back if good enough. If an expansion club had been green lit 2-3 years ago for inclusion this year or next year then we may still have players like Mitchell Pearce, Josh Reynolds, etc still in the NRL at the new club because the expansion clubs might have factored them into the equation of their recruitment. It boggles me that some of the experts rant about the players already in the NRL that expansion clubs need to get... Why cannibalise the NRL when there are guys they could grab from overseas.

flippikat

Bench
This coming from a roosters fan, whos club cant produce a reserve grade team.... oh wait its the north sydney bears... then puts shit on them
I suspect it's more a case of the Roosters co-opting the Bears as a handy heritage brand to use.

Nothing stopping the Roosters fielding a reserve team in NSW Cup under their own banner, but for some reason (Some kind of kinship? Wanting to rope-in some North Shore support? Sympathy?!?) they choose not to.

They could easy have gone the route of Souths and said "You know what, we're gonna back OUR brand in reserve grade & take control of that level", but they don't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I suspect it's more a case of the Roosters co-opting the Bears as a handy heritage brand to use.

Nothing stopping the Roosters fielding a reserve team in NSW Cup under their own banner, but for some reason (Some kind of kinship? Wanting to rope-in some North Shore support? Sympathy?!?) they choose not to.

They could easy have gone the route of Souths and said "You know what, we're gonna back OUR brand in reserve grade & take control of that level", but they don't.
Why pay for a reserve grade side when norths LC are happy to?

Latest posts