What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
What was last rating for Friday night footy?
What was the last crowd in perth for a rugby league game?

the answer to your question is no one knows. Until fox and kayo show city split it is impossible to Say How many people are watching nrl on tv in perth. I haven’t watched gem or ch9 for nrl since fox got all games.

when there is no choice 100k plus watch rugby league on ch9 In perth.

Pippen94

First Grade
What was the last crowd in perth for a rugby league game?

the answer to your question is no one knows. Until fox and kayo show city split it is impossible to Say How many people are watching nrl on tv in perth. I haven’t watched gem or ch9 for nrl since fox got all games.

when there is no choice 100k plus watch rugby league on ch9 In perth.

Yeah, wookie shot that shit down. Said it numbers u claim were impossible

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, wookie shot that shit down. Said it numbers u claim were impossible
So why do over 100k tune in for RL games when on ch9 alone?
How do we fill optus for origin, why have we sold out hbf park on numerous occasions. Why do we have over 30k people participating in versions of rugby league In WA? There’s 50k active RL fans in the West at least. Getting half of them to follow a perth nrl club actively Should be very doable.
It’s almost like you have better insight into the RL community here than me lol.

The_Wookie

Bench
So why do over 100k tune in for RL games when on ch9 alone?

Other than Origin and the Grand Final when do you think this happened?

Metro audiences max out at 16k, but average 8,000 - regionals add about another 5k to that - assuming the a smilar ratio to the rest of the country for league tv, you can add another 15k to the total - youd be lucky to be hitting 30k per match on ALL viewing mediums.

How do we fill optus for origin,

Theatre sports goers. See also socceroos matches, wallabies matches etc etc.

why have we sold out hbf park on numerous occasions.

three times - 2013, 2014, 2015. The last game in 2017 at HBF Park drew 6000 people. A doubleheader in 2018 at Optus Stadium drew 38,000.

The Great Dane

First Grade
OK insider jack
You don't have to be much of an insider to get any of that information.

Every significant member of the Bears, from board members down, who is interview or questioned on the subject says the same thing; the brand is one of their non-negotiables, and they won't sell it or be forced to make any changes to it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Other than Origin and the Grand Final when do you think this happened?

Metro audiences max out at 16k, but average 8,000 - regionals add about another 5k to that - assuming the a smilar ratio to the rest of the country for league tv, you can add another 15k to the total - youd be lucky to be hitting 30k per match on ALL viewing mediums.

Theatre sports goers. See also socceroos matches, wallabies matches etc etc.

three times - 2013, 2014, 2015. The last game in 2017 at HBF Park drew 6000 people. A doubleheader in 2018 at Optus Stadium drew 38,000.
The only clear number for total viewers in WA is when there is a game on just one channel option and on main fta channel. Now of course it’s skewed by these being big events but still it’s literally the only true picture of audience in WA for a RL game, all be it showcase one’s.

something maybe you can answer me is with such a small sample size how can they possibly know with any sort of accuracy smaller viewing numbers? There’s around 500 OzTAM boxes in perth, that’s one box for every 4000 people. So if an nrl game in perth gets 8000 allegedy that means just two people with a box are watching it. The skewing of numbers with such a small variance is massive. 4 rl fans get a box and we are up to 16,000 viewers. 10 nrl fans happen to be chosen for a box in perth and we have 40,000 viewers. It seems a bit unreliable to me?

we also sold out a test match at hbf park.

2017 lowest crowd was a combination of a terrible storm on the day, an unattractive club and disillusionment with years of false hope on expansion. The second game drew over 11k which was still down on previous years. It was good to see a bounce back in 2018 assisted with the novelty of a new stadium which saw nearly 39k turn out to optus And 21k turning out to 9’s in 2019. Then two sold out 60k crowds.
We were supposed to be getting 2 games a year for 2020-2023 but covid put paid to that. Be interesting to see how the double header goes next year.

I stand by my claim there are around 50k active RL fans in perth.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
something maybe you can answer me is with such a small sample size how can they possibly know with any sort of accuracy smaller viewing numbers? There’s around 500 OzTAM boxes in perth, that’s one box for every 4000 people. So if an nrl game in perth gets 8000 allegedy that means just two people with a box are watching it. The skewing of numbers with such a small variance is massive. 4 rl fans get a box and we are up to 16,000 viewers. 10 nrl fans happen to be chosen for a box in perth and we have 40,000 viewers. It seems a bit unreliable to me?

Its certainly indicative, but its essentially a highly technical survey - but one that drives the rest of the industry. You can apply this school of thought to AFL fans in QLD and NSW, or NRL fans anywhere outside of QLD and NSW.

650 boxes in perth, another 180 in WA regionals - about 10% of all FTA boxes. This means its likely that there are 200 or so STV boxes as well.

Its call representative sampling.

As Oztam notes itself - In terms of sample size relative to the population represented, OzTAM’s panel has historically been among the world’s largest. In 2017 OzTAM's metropolitan and national STV increased by 50 per cent (from the previous 3,500 and 1,413 homes, respectively), recognising Australia's population growth and the fact people now spread their viewing over many more television channels. Alongside Regional TAM's own expanded panel, Australia remains one of the world's largest per capita metered markets.

Its certainly indicative, but its essentially a highly technical survey - but one that drives the rest of the industry. You can apply this school of thought to AFL fans in QLD and NSW, or NRL fans anywhere outside of QLD and NSW.

650 boxes in perth, another 180 in WA regionals - about 10% of all FTA boxes. This means its likely that there are 200 or so STV boxes as well.

As Oztam notes itself - In terms of sample size relative to the population represented, OzTAM’s panel has historically been among the world’s largest. In 2017 OzTAM's metropolitan and national STV increased by 50 per cent (from the previous 3,500 and 1,413 homes, respectively), recognising Australia's population growth and the fact people now spread their viewing over many more television channels. Alongside Regional TAM's own expanded panel, Australia remains one of the world's largest per capita metered markets.
Spin it however you want, but the fact remains it is a poor gauge of the country's television viewing habits. We won't know what people watch until a better system is devised.

Pippen94

First Grade
The only clear number for total viewers in WA is when there is a game on just one channel option and on main fta channel. Now of course it’s skewed by these being big events but still it’s literally the only true picture of audience in WA for a RL game, all be it showcase one’s.

we also sold out a test match at hbf park.

2017 lowest crowd was a combination of a terrible storm on the day, an unattractive club and disillusionment with years of false hope on expansion. The second game drew over 11k which was still down on previous years. It was good to see a bounce back in 2018 assisted with the novelty of a new stadium which saw nearly 39k turn out to optus And 21k turning out to 9’s in 2019. Then two sold out 60k crowds.
We were supposed to be getting 2 games a year for 2020-2023 but covid put paid to that. Be interesting to see how the double header goes next year.

I stand by my claim there are around 50k active RL fans in perth.

Ignores hard numbers & sticks with figure pulled from own backside. Quality poster

Perth Red

Post Whore

It still stands with such a small sample group that when it comes to extrapolating it up to a 2million population a tiny sample bias can make a major “totals” difference. Like I said if 10 nrl households had happened to get a box it’d be showing 40,000 viewers.

Pippen94

First Grade
Jog on little boy everything in my post is fact.

It's there for everybody to see. Wookie just fact checked you showing average audience for NRL in Perth was 8k. Perth Stadium crowds also apply to soccer, rugby & Taylor swift. Last attendance for single regular NRL match was 6k.

You just ignore all this & stick 50k number which ur own invention. Ur an idiot

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's there for everybody to see. Wookie just fact checked you showing average audience for NRL in Perth was 8k. Perth Stadium crowds also apply to soccer, rugby & Taylor swift. Last attendance for single regular NRL match was 6k.

You just ignore all this & stick 50k number which ur own invention. Ur an idiot
No get your facts right, the avg fta audiences is around 10k. No one knows what the total viewing audience is. That is the fact of it. The ONLY time all RL fans in perth HAVE to watch a game on fta it gets 100k-120k. All be it skewed by the event of these games. Those are the facts.

yeh one match, in horroble weather, featuring manly,
nice cherry picking. Factually the last nrl games in perth in 2019 drew an avg 19.5k people to each. Oh but let’s pretend that didn’t happen shall we?
You think the 21k plus for all those other games 2012-2017 just upped and left perth? Idiot.

but yeh I’m sure you know more about the RL scene in perth than I do!
30k plus participants
60k origins
39k double header
four 21k sell outs
21k for nines
15k RLWC pool match
100-120k fta tv audiences for event games
Facts, facts, facts.

jog on idiot.

The_Wookie

Bench
No get your facts right, the avg fta audiences is around 10k.

No its 8k as I wrote above.

No one knows what the total viewing audience is. That is the fact of it.

Thats a fact - but only if you ignore current industry standards used to determine such things by every code and broadcaster.

The ONLY time all RL fans in perth HAVE to watch a game on fta it gets 100k-120k. All be it skewed by the event of these games. Those are the facts.

Those are only relevant facts if you believe Origin and Grand Final audiences are likely to be replicated during the season, despite the fact that they very much arent in the rest of the country.

yeh one match, in horroble weather, featuring manly,
nice cherry picking. Factually the last nrl games in perth in 2019 drew an avg 19.5k people to each. Oh but let’s pretend that didn’t happen shall we?
You think the 21k plus for all those other games 2012-2017 just upped and left perth? Idiot.

Havent a big crowd for an annual game is a fair way from having that as regular turnout.

but yeh I’m sure you know more about the RL scene in perth than I do!
30k plus participants

Community rugby league in WA currently numbers 4,100 registered players.

60k origins
39k double header
four 21k sell outs
21k for nines
15k RLWC pool match
100-120k fta tv audiences for event games
Facts, facts, facts.

jog on idiot.

Almost everything above here counts for theatre attendees/viewers, people there just as much for the event as "love of the game".

How much faith can we place in the OzTam TV ratings when they're just a survey of 12k people across Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney?

Australia has 26m people. There's no way 12k viewers from five metropolitan areas can tell us what 26m people are watching.

I think a better gauge is to look at how many people are viewing content online. The networks are moving towards streaming their services online as it allows them to understand the viewing habits of the public. This is particularly concerning to us as Kayo/Nine Now know which programs are streamed the most. The fact Foxtel paid us so little and gave AwFuL so much would suggest the data from Kayo doesn't line up with OzTam. There's no way they would pay overs for AwFuL when they're owned by one of the greediest and most ruthless businessman on Earth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No its 8k as I wrote above.

Thats a fact - but only if you ignore current industry standards used to determine such things by every code and broadcaster.

Those are only relevant facts if you believe Origin and Grand Final audiences are likely to be replicated during the season, despite the fact that they very much arent in the rest of the country.

Havent a big crowd for an annual game is a fair way from having that as regular turnout.

Community rugby league in WA currently numbers 4,100 registered players.

Almost everything above here counts for theatre attendees/viewers, people there just as much for the event as "love of the game".
I can’t be arsed to go through every round but I know it fluctuates between 4k and 15k quite a lot.

yes it is a fact. And with such low sample size and low extrapolitaion the reliability and validity of the methodology is dodgy as. Can you explain to me how they get 4000 viewers? With one box per 3000 people were 1.3 people watching the game??

I’m saying that if 120k are tuning in on fta for rl event games it’s an indication that theres a sht load more than 6k fans here lol

Which is totally irrelevant and I’m not sure why you e mentioned it? I’m not saying how many will turn up every week, theres a shed load of variable factors in that, but it is indication of size of active rl fanbase here.

community rugby league in all its formats was over 30k participants last year

thats your opinion, not fact. I’d suggest, as I was at the games and saw how much merch was on show from SL and NRL, that it was largely RL fans attending Them.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
How much faith can we place in the OzTam TV ratings when they're just a survey of 12k people across Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney?

Australia has 26m people. There's no way 12k viewers from five metropolitan areas can tell us what 26m people are watching.

I think a better gauge is to look at how many people are viewing content online. The networks are moving towards streaming their services online as it allows them to understand the viewing habits of the public. This is particularly concerning to us as Kayo/Nine Now know which programs are streamed the most. The fact Foxtel paid us so little and gave AwFuL so much would suggest the data from Kayo doesn't line up with OzTam. There's no way they would pay overs for AwFuL when they're owned by one of the greediest and most ruthless businessman on Earth.
You cant, it’s mostly bs. Like I said in perth one box represents 4000 ish people. If by luck 10 boxes had ended up in nrl households without fox then the ratings for nrl in perth would match afl ratings in sydney. Probably only streaming has real figures. fta is largely guessed at based on a very small sample size. Nearly as bad as the Roy Morgan fanbase polls!

You cant, it’s mostly bs. Like I said in perth one box represents 4000 ish people. If by luck 10 boxes had ended up in nrl households without fox then the ratings for nrl in perth would match afl ratings in sydney. Probably only streaming has real figures. fta is largely guessed at based on a very small sample size. Nearly as bad as the Roy Morgan fanbase polls!
Ch9 don't seem to care too much for RL. They give us $115m pa for three games a week then four games during the last five rounds, yet wanted to give AwFuL $500m pa for everything.