What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Vee

First Grade
What are the facilities like in Cairns? Do they have a suitable ground?
Ordinary. No. Good surface with a full athletics track around it, 2500 grandstand on one side, no corporate facilities to speak of, small and ordinary dressing rooms, no other stands, poor lighting (upgrade scheduled). Very limited corporate support, we're a tourist town shattered by covid and struggling to recover.

Regular talk about a new stadium but no agreement on design, funding and location, appears wishful thinking more than a plan to me.

Other than that, all good for the Dots on a Map Brigade pushing it on here.

Oh yeah, and it's Cowboys country as well.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Hahaha in 2020 covid shut down the Central Coast senior rugby league competition so my two boys played AFL, I didn’t know the rules, I had no idea what was happening just every time they tackled somebody the crowd would yell out, I thought we would get penalised as the played they tackled was laying in a heap on the ground, yet we had possession and a free kick.
I ended up liking our time in AFL because their players were soft as, you could knock players not in possession off the ball things which took a bit of getting used to was the scrambling for the ball, how the AFL ball would carry further when kicked and how if you had speed you could really utilise is, atleast in league you could pick the ball up and run and you were off in AFL you have to bounce the stupid ball.
Different games, different skills, it’s what you are brought up with, we are a rugby league family but my boys have played league, union, AFL, and even had a run at soccer but as little kids.
I probably feel more towards soccer how you do towards AFL.
Didn’t all the knock ons drive you nuts?

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Bears held their AGM recently, and at the meeting they informed members that they've engaged a consultancy firm called the CT Group to prepare their bid for the 18th license. The CT Group were the organisation that the Dolphins and Macarthur Bulls hired to prepare their bids for the NRL and A-league respectively.

They also reiterated that the Bear's are 'not locked into any locational partner at this stage and are working closely with the NRL to be guided on the appropriate direction' (to quote them). In other words they've made no commitment to bid for an NRL license out of any particular market and are waiting for the NRL to inform them of their preferred location for the 18th club before looking to base the bid out of that market.

They also announced that they had 1733 members for the 2023 season at the time of the meeting, and that's a 33% increase on the same time last year.

Wb1234

Referee
The Bears held their AGM recently, and at the meeting they informed members that they've engaged a consultancy firm called the CT Group to prepare their bid for the 18th license. The CT Group were the organisation that the Dolphins and Macarthur Bulls hired to prepare their bids for the NRL and A-league respectively.

They also reiterated that the Bear's are 'not locked into any locational partner at this stage and are working closely with the NRL to be guided on the appropriate direction' (to quote them). In other words they've made no commitment to bid for an NRL license out of any particular market and are waiting for the NRL to inform them of their preferred location for the 18th club before looking to base the bid out of that market.

They also announced that they had 1733 members for the 2023 season at the time of the meeting, and that's a 33% increase on the same time last year.
Arlc wants the bears

location is still up in the air

bears in the nrl will get 10k easy members

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The way the Bears talk about bidding has subtly changed since Politis proposed to expand to 20 clubs over the next decade. The way they talk makes it sound like they fully intend to move the bid to the NRL's next most preferred location and bid for the 19th and 20th licenses should they miss out on the 18th, and the NRL choose to expand to 20.

In other words, let's say that, e.g., Perth is the NRL's preferred market for the 18th license, and that the Bears do present a "Perth Bears" bid but it fails. They'll look to launch another bid from the NRL's preferred location for the 19th license should the NRL look to expand again, and another for the 20th should they miss out on the 19th.

The possibility of 20 teams within a decade is very new, and there hasn't been a whole lot of communication from the Bears since then, so I could be reading stuff that isn't really there into what the Bears have been saying. But to me they genuinely seem to have been suggesting that they'll take any opportunity to get back into the NRL, and that they'll do it in the most cynical way possible.

Wb1234

Referee
The way the Bears talk about bidding has subtly changed since Politis proposed to expand to 20 clubs over the next decade. The way they talk makes it sound like they fully intend to move the bid to the NRL's next most preferred location and bid for the 19th and 20th licenses should they miss out on the 18th, and the NRL choose to expand to 20.

In other words, let's say that, e.g., Perth is the NRL's preferred market for the 18th license, and that the Bears do present a "Perth Bears" bid but it fails. They'll look to launch another bid from the NRL's preferred location for the 19th license should the NRL look to expand again, and another for the 20th should they miss out on the 19th.

The possibility of 20 teams within a decade is very new, and there hasn't been a whole lot of communication from the Bears since then, so I could be reading stuff that isn't really there into what the Bears have been saying. But to me they genuinely seem to have been suggesting that they'll take any opportunity to get back into the NRL, and that they'll do it in the most cynical way possible.
Why cynical

more flexible

Perth Red

Post Whore

Of course they will, they don’t give a sht where they start off, only where they end up.