What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
You keep repeating the fallacy that the Cowboys support is only drawn from the city of Townsville.

It's not, never has been and never was. To remove the 2nd biggest city from their catchment would be a disaster.

Luckily for all involved, it will never happen.
You don’t know that

the reality is the federal govt want to fund an nrl team in png and one of the best locations for it is cairns since it’s so close to png

Colk

First Grade
You keep repeating the fallacy that the Cowboys support is only drawn from the city of Townsville.

It's not, never has been and never was. To remove the 2nd biggest city from their catchment would be a disaster.

I wouldn’t be so sure. I remember thinking that there is no way that PNG would get a side but where there’s smoke there’s fire as the old adage goes.

Colk

First Grade
I still won’t believe it until it actually happens

That’s the perfect way to look at things. Don’t believe anything until it actually pans out. The strategy that the NRL has regarding expansion it seems is seeing who comes to them with money and a plan so with that in mind anything could happen.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s the perfect way to look at things. Don’t believe anything until it actually pans out. The strategy that the NRL has regarding expansion it seems is seeing who comes to them with money and a plan so with that in mind anything could happen.
Yeh don’t rule out Perth or nz2

albanese needs a really big cheque to make it happen

Wb1234

Referee
I think if they go to 20 teams as planned, they are big chances. So are a variety of options like another Brisbane side or even Adelaide
Clubs will push back on 20 until they see the tv dollars going up a lot but I believe they will ultimately support 20

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yeh don’t rule out Perth or nz2

albanese needs a really big cheque to make it happen
Basically any and all benefit is what the government gives them 🤷‍♂️ literally. It has to big bigger than the potential of all other markets. Like NZ2 could pull another 30 million just in nz tv revenue...
So the government would need a lot of guarantees and cash..which time has shown is Basically unlimited so long as it'll get votes....
Going to be a hard sell.. when half the country follows AFL..
Actually now I think about it, it's 0 chance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well your mate thinks it’s stupid to suggest it

now I wanna see his response that YOU agreed with me
My response is some current sydney clubs struggle to sell much more than that based ft in Sydney. But yeh a club in a totally different city would match clubs based full time in sydney,
bears were never that well supported when they existed. And we keep being told their areas are now union and afl fans. Where’s these 10k people coming from?

Gobsmacked

Bench
My response is some current sydney clubs struggle to sell much more than that based ft in Sydney. But yeh a club in a totally different city would match clubs based full time in sydney,
bears were never that well supported when they existed. And we keep being told their areas are now union and afl fans. Where’s these 10k people coming from?
Hahaha we could ask the same of Perth! Those in glass houses buddy.

jim_57

Staff member

I’d be pretty confident when push came to shove any PNG bid would choose Sydney or Brisbane as a base if they are FIFO. Cairns is closer to PNG but means travel every week if the majority of games are in PNG. Also Cairns is a fair haul to most away games as well.

The only ones who seem to be pushing the Cairns/PNG link are @MugaB and the Cairns Mayor unless I’ve missed something more official. Plus a couple of throwaway lines from Journos.

10 games should be the minimum for games in PNG. Sure they could play a couple in Cairns if they were based there but they could also play a couple of strategic home games in Brisbane or Sydney to break up the travel even more.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Queensland Rugby League boss Peter Hatcher in today`s The Australian :

“Our competition (Queensland Cup) is a good pathway to the NRL and I have no doubt the talent is there for an 18th team,” the QRL chair said.

“We can’t leave Perth out to dry.

“We have taken two Origin games to Perth and there’s a reason we have done that. They have the population, infrastructure and a great stadium (Optus), so there is a market in Perth.

“I think Queensland can sustain a fifth team and I’d be putting them in the western corridor from Logan through to the southwest beyond Toowoomba. It would cover that area. That corridor has to be catered for.

“I would have these teams come in for the next broadcast deal.

“Ipswich were the main threat to the Dolphins bid (in the last expansion race in 2021) and that western region is a massive growth corridor for Brisbane.

No mention of P.N.G., no mention of FireHawks. Say what you like about Hatcher but they do run a pretty good State League up there and introduced the Hunters well before N.S.W. introduced the Silktails and are presently trying to get a Pacific Treize side in.