What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA- did we miss the boat ?

kdalymc

Bench
The Force got the booter and we did nothing. Now the Eagles have just won the AFL and we will probably continue to sit back and let that single code take over the state.
Needed to move when RU bailed in my opinion, is it too late for over there or can we take our time and come in hard ?

jim_57

Staff member
I doubt West Coast winning is going to make much difference to any potential NRL team there. Perth is already AFL mad I doubt this will change much.

There'd still be enough oppurtunity for an NRL team even if West Coast and Fremantle won the next 10 "flaaaaaags" between them.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The Force got the booter and we did nothing. Now the Eagles have just won the AFL and we will probably continue to sit back and let that single code take over the state.
Needed to move when RU bailed in my opinion, is it too late for over there or can we take our time and come in hard ?
The question you need to ask is if Perth isn’t ready what more do they need to do and what more could they do??

General Stripes

Juniors
Didn't miss the boat, when we finally have expansion it will be a QLD club(needs more representation in the national comp) and Perth(3rd biggest Junior base as well as TV timeslots).

Question is when though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The boat sailed in 2011.the game was buzzing here then and we should have expanded in 2013 for the new tv deal. At worse an announcement in 2015 when nib was selling out and the game was on a high here for entry in 2018 would have been prime. Now most RL fans are sick of being led down the garden path and have pretty much given up on the hope of getting a club.

Billythekid

First Grade
I still think a team in Perth will be a success but we did miss the optimal timing.

If we don’t announce a team after the huge success of SOO in Perth though you have to wonder what the NRL is thinking. Between the big double header, international footy and SOO now is the time to strike. We should be expanding next TV deal and we don’t want to announce it too late.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Next TV deal is likely to be negotiated 2021. We should be announcing expansion 2019 to be ready to sell the extra content in 2021 when the negotiations are underway. Sadly the NRL won't, they'll wait until 2021 and see what TV wants to do rather than dictating what they have to do. That will likely mean TV not wanting to spend more money and still no expansion. Its been the cycle of the last two deals so no reason to think this time will be any different.

Marlins

Juniors
I’m under the impression, the only way the NRL will expand, is if Nein/or other Tv company push hard for it. Todd & Pete’s goal seems to be, make &save as much money as possible. And to start having some assets, the Nrl owns. They don’t seem like the pair that’ll take a punt on expansion, unless it’s going to backed up by big Tv Monies.

Quicksilver

Bench
The boat sailed in 2011.the game was buzzing here then and we should have expanded in 2013 for the new tv deal. At worse an announcement in 2015 when nib was selling out and the game was on a high here for entry in 2018 would have been prime. Now most RL fans are sick of being led down the garden path and have pretty much given up on the hope of getting a club.

Sounds like it's not really worth doing then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds like it's not really worth doing then.

If the NRL actually had a strategic plan that we could share and see that there was a clear and concise plan for expansion in X amount of years then the WA RL community would be more engaged and enthused. But after 8 years of maybes and hope so's we are all jaded and pretty certain the NRL still lacks the leadership and vision to grow the game any time soon, or not so soon.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well you ain't owed a team.

It's up to the Perth supporters and corporates to get a team up. Not the NRL.

Make a case that they can't refuse.

How is that even possible in a closed system like the NRL!?
There is no pathway for a club to the NRL so it's impossible for a team trying to get in to prove they deserve a license and get it based on merit. To get into the NRL you have to appeal to arbitrary criteria that can change at a moments notice at the random moment in time that the NRL decides it'd like to expand for whatever reason, and even then the NRL can and have changed their mind without notice as to whether or not they want to expand at all leaving bids high and dry.

What more do the Pirates have to do to make a case the NRL can't refuse!?
I mean through a mixture of their own work and circumstance they've already offered the NRL at least two opportunities to expand into Perth that any sane business would've at least investigated (the first one in 2012-13 during the mining boom of the time, the second last year when the Force were falling over), but they have just been knocked back out of hand.

I'd bet that you don't hold certain clubs that currently have a license and fail to make any case what so ever as to why they deserve to hold onto it to the same standards either...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well you ain't owed a team.

It's up to the Perth supporters and corporates to get a team up. Not the NRL.

Make a case that they can't refuse.

You mean like sellling out nib stadium three times or getting38k to a double header? When the nrl for 8 years continually tells you there will be no expansion as the current clubs are sht at running themselves what do you expect the fans to do exactly?

Quicksilver

Bench
If your case was that good you'd already have a team. The NRL isn't going to reject a money making proposition. All they care about is dosh. They just don't want you to end up on the teat, like most expansion dreams.

A once a year sell out or whatever is nothing compared to people turning up week in, week out. Enthusiasm goes stale. Drudgery kicks in.

Go back and work on it.

greenBV4

Bench
If your case was that good you'd already have a team. The NRL isn't going to reject a money making proposition. All they care about is dosh. They just don't want you to end up on the teat, like most expansion dreams.

A once a year sell out or whatever is nothing compared to people turning up week in, week out. Enthusiasm goes stale. Drudgery kicks in.

Go back and work on it.

How can Perth prove that they can get crowds week in week out if they don't have a team to do so? It shouldn't be solely up to Perth RL fans to prove to the NRL that they deserve a team, the NRL should be trying to convince the people of Perth that they want a team.

Out of every expansion market, Perth makes the most sense, along with Brisbane 2 (and it'd be better to introduce 2 teams to keep an even number). I don't think its a matter of if Perth will be the next expansion team, It is more a matter of if the NRL will ever even expand..

Vee

First Grade
If that dick Grant had promised $12M/club/year instead of $13M to save his job, the NRL would have had $16M/year to assist expansion.

Quicksilver

Bench
Sounds like the pie in the sky stuff we got from the Gold Coast and they are a stronger League area than WA.

It worked for a bit then it was a struggle.

You'd want to big diggin a lot out of the ground over there to keep the thing afloat.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sounds like the pie in the sky stuff we got from the Gold Coast and they are a stronger League area than WA.

It worked for a bit then it was a struggle.

You'd want to big diggin a lot out of the ground over there to keep the thing afloat.

Firstly pretty much all of "the pie in the sky stuff we got from the GC" was all pretty reasonable considering their situation at the time, until the GFC hit and completely stuffed them over.

Secondly you obviously know nothing about the NRL's recent history as it pertains to expansion, and your suggestion that "If your case was that good you'd already have a team" proves it.
Currently there literally isn't a way for an expansion team to prove their case to the NRL, so they could have the greatest case for a team of all time, and they'd still be turned down without the NRL ever actually looking into that case!

And again I'd bet that you don't hold the current clubs to the same standards that you are currently holding the expansion clubs to either...

Quicksilver

Bench
Don't tell me what I do and don't know.

Yeah, economic downturns happen. Who would have thought? It's the height of financial irresponsibility to expect the good times to go on forever.

To think otherwise is pie in the sky stuff. But, that's what you dreamers do, I guess.

Who would have thought that the mining boom would end? Lucky we didn't put a team out there if it was going to be built on mining money. That is a show of good management, I'd say. The biggest hole in the west could have been the NRL money pit for this unwarranted expansion project.

Where are all the juniors they are producing? How many of them come over? They don't really have much going for them in Rugby League terms at the moment. Hardly anyone there cares. If they did love Rugby League they'd already have so much more in place. The shocking truth is that they don't.

How about they do some work for themselves rather than hoping the NRL (ie Sydney) help them? Maybe try turning some heads. The NRL don't open the biding because they know there isn't an economically sensible expansion out there at the moment.

The sad truth is, they aren't ready for the big league.

But keep on reaching for the stars champion.Maybe in 5 years or so they will be ready.