What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wade done for 2021 but not forever

Frenzy.

Immortal

Cronulla captain promises to return from concussion setbacks​

His season is done, but not his career.​

SCOTT PRYDE
EDITOR
AUGUST 22, 2021
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...es-to-return-from-concussion-setbacks-108842/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...om-concussion-setbacks-108842/&via=zerotackle
https://api.whatsapp.com/send?text=...es-to-return-from-concussion-setbacks-108842/

GettyImages-976127842-696x464.jpg

Cronulla Sharks' captain and one of the NRL's most underrated figures Wade Grahamhas promised he will return from concussion next year.

Concussion has been a big talking point in the NRL this year, with Sydney Roosters' captain Boyd Cordner hanging up the boots earlier in the season after repeated head knocks.

While Graham has put this season on ice and won't attempt to play until next year, he has told The Daily Telegraph he has no intentions of stepping away from the game before he feels ready to do so.
GettyImages-962876018.jpg

“Whilever I still feel like I can play, I’m not going to give it away — and that’s how I feel right now,’’ Graham said.

“I’m not looking to be a daredevil or anything, but I feel like I’m comfortable enough to still play and there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be playing.

“I’m comfortable making that decision."

It's understood Graham has been seeing medical staff in Sydney, having not travelled to Queensland with the Sharks when the competition was relocated a month ago.

Graham has played just 11 games this season, but has picked up three concussions in that time, saying he needed to step away from the game for the remainder of the year to cut the risk of a fourth concussion in 12 months.

“I had three concussions (over four months). The last one was pretty bad," Graham said.

“I was wobbling on my feet. I knew at that stage, I couldn’t continue on the path I was.

“I decided to get away from all contact and just rest.

“I couldn’t have four concussions in a year, so by stepping away, it completely took that risk off the table."

The Sharks leader has been sorely missed during his time away from the game, with Cronulla missing more tackles than any other team throughout the course of the 2021 NRL season.

They are hanging grimly onto a chance of making the NRL finals, however, will need to win both of their last two games against the Brisbane Broncos and likely minor premiers the Melbourne Storm following putting 50 points on the Wests Tigersyesterday in a must-win contest.

The Sharks are also down on troops, with Andrew Fifita unlikely to feature again this season following a serious throat injury in last week's game against the Newcastle Knights.

snout

First Grade
Hhhmm. OK.
Hope to see him back to very best but in this game - of you go in anything less than giving your all you can end up like Woods.
A liability.
That even goes for full contact training.
This will hang over his head for the rest of his career - worrying about the next head shit and the public scrutiny.

Everyone,myself included, remembers Wade
Graham putting the hurt on some key opposition players at just right times.I also remember some games ( one recent after coming back from sternum injury) where his attack was just sublime.He is a player who can paint a picture on a football field , and should be given the chance to get back to that form.No worries from me if he can't get back due to head stuff , family life and health is always first consideration.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
As much as I love the bloke he probably needs to look at life after footy.

The amount of concussions he's had he's a ticking time bomb before something more serious occurs like permanent brain damage.

Marchad

Juniors
As much as I love the bloke he probably needs to look at life after footy.

The amount of concussions he's had he's a ticking time bomb before something more serious occurs like permanent brain damage.
Going by the look in his eyes he already has permanent brain damage.

Inferno

Coach
he hasn't had a great run with injury of late.

Can't help but feel this is the beginning of the end for Wado in the NRL. He's only 31 but started playing when he was just 17 or 18 didn't he?

Craigshark

First Grade
he hasn't had a great run with injury of late.

Can't help but feel this is the beginning of the end for Wado in the NRL. He's only 31 but started playing when he was just 17 or 18 didn't he?

unfortunately it feels like the beginning of the end begun when he did his acl back against the roosters in 2018. Hasn’t been the same since.

Who we reckon takes that spot now, wilton who's steady and you know what you're getting or talakai who can offer something different but is hot and cold?

chewsta

First Grade
I'll throw in a smokey and say we may see a few games here and there from colqhon or whatever his name is in the back row. The young 17 from the weekend. He looks real good. Not sure how old he is but he looks physically ready for the NRL.