What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wade Graham future

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
For me the leg issue was Wadeo knowing that he was f**ked but was trying to make out it was a leg issue to avoid another HIA and subsequent time out of the game. Just looked a little f**ked up because he was actually concussed but trying not to look concussed.

R-15-3

Juniors
Haven’t seen 1 comment that he should play on. That right there tells you the story.
Does he have a say in if we can medical retire him?? Can we get a doc to say no more and force it on him with duty of care??? Surly the NRL couldn’t stop us choosing that path??
He gives off that fell that no matter what he wants to play on.

Frenzy.

Immortal
For me the leg issue was Wadeo knowing that he was f**ked but was trying to make out it was a leg issue to avoid another HIA and subsequent time out of the game. Just looked a little f**ked up because he was actually concussed but trying not to look concussed.

He would not have had the faculty to fake something. The leg "snap" (hyperextension) is classic head injury dystonia. His brain wasn't working at that time.

SharkShocked

Bench
He would not have had the faculty to fake something. The leg "snap" (hyperextension) is classic head injury dystonia. His brain wasn't working at that time.
Exactly what I said at the time I think in the game day thread. His brain was so cooked in that moment that he looked like he was reaching so badly to find the ground and he had nfi where it was.

Was a really bad look.

I see his comments are that he wants to have an extended break and then go through process etc. The biggest issue will be the confidence loss, must be wreaking havoc in him at the moment.

bluefox68

Staff member
Exactly what I said at the time I think in the game day thread. His brain was so cooked in that moment that he looked like he was reaching so badly to find the ground and he had nfi where it was.

Was a really bad look.

I see his comments are that he wants to have an extended break and then go through process etc. The biggest issue will be the confidence loss, must be wreaking havoc in him at the moment.
Boyd Cordner...

Boyd Cordner...
Exactly what I'm/we're all thinking. Must be a right bugger of a way to retire, being forced out like this. But with a young family and all your life still ahead of you... Whatever wade, Boyd, etc decide, we gotta wish 'em all the best.

The bigger question is, where does this leave the future of rugby league? I love the game with a passion & played it all the way thru my teens 'til the opposition started getting big enough to really hurt me (and I found partying!) But, as a dad, no way would I be encouraging my two young fellas to play the game.

AJB1102

First Grade
Exactly what I'm/we're all thinking. Must be a right bugger of a way to retire, being forced out like this. But with a young family and all your life still ahead of you... Whatever wade, Boyd, etc decide, we gotta wish 'em all the best.

The bigger question is, where does this leave the future of rugby league? I love the game with a passion & played it all the way thru my teens 'til the opposition started getting big enough to really hurt me (and I found partying!) But, as a dad, no way would I be encouraging my two young fellas to play the game.
Pro isn't for everyone. Likelihood is even if you encouraged them they wouldn't make it. As long as the money is there people will go for it.

Chimp

Juniors
I actually think a sensible solution would be for Wade to head off to France now (provided he still wants to play).
The game in Super League is far less intense - the defensive line is up nowhere near as fast, the players on a whole are not as big, fast or athletic (they’re still athletes, but unlike NRL where over 50% are Polynesian/Islander heritage with those natural freaks in terms of size and speed). The collisions just aren’t as big, and Wade would have more time to get his tackle technique right. It’s a safer environment for Wade to play, and more his standard nowadays too.

R-15-3

Juniors

100% agree. I’m 6,4 and never bothered me before but having a son now who’s going to be bigger than me so physically will be ok but really having thoughts of what even basic head nocks will do to a child’s health let alone if he goes on to play for a long time.

Pro isn't for everyone.
Not even thinking about 'pro'. Problem is the number of young amateur footy players being sent to hospital with head injuries. Alarming. And not just rugby league. AFL. Union. Even football is under the spotlight with repeated heading of the ball leading to long-term brain damage.

bluefox68

Staff member

Tiger Shark

Bench
I think the Boyd and Wade situations are different ..for now.

Boyd is suffering the effects of the head knocks and isn't recovering.

Wade is getting head knocks but appears for the most part to be recovering well from these, but his issue is that he's causing these himself. So it's smart he's taking the time off now to rest, fix his technique and decide what he wants to do so he doesn't become exactly like Boyd.

I wonder if it's a bad look to leave the NRL and go play in France with the impression it's a weaker comp and not as likely to get concussed. Though I'm sure everyone is thinking it.

No one is going to think less of him if he takes the year off and goes and plays in France next year, or when ever that comp starts.

We save 750k on the cap - McInnes and hopefully Finucane can be captains ?

Craigshark

First Grade
The worrying part is, after the last knock in the roosters game, he came out after saying he’d be fixing his technique blah blah.. then he goes and does the exact same thing.

Bob Scott

Juniors
I have to be honest and say i think Wade is but a shadow of his old self , his decision making is off and slow , he's not hitting the line as hard as he used to and i haven't really noticed his kicking game this season . I'm sure most of this is down to his repeated concussions , it's almost as if he's playing in treacle sometimes . The tackle the other night was all about bad technique and pretty much similar to his other concussions , it was sickening to watch him when he tried to get up , pure instict with absolutely no control over his body for a couple of seconds .
I think we have seen the last of Wade , his concussions have been bad ones as were Cordner and Friends , for the betterment of his health and his family he should look at retiring .
France shouldn't be an option , they get concussions there as well , and it might not be a bad knock that causes irrepairable damage , no game is worth that risk .

Last edited:

R-15-3

Juniors
We Greg Inglis him, retire now pay out 18 months and if he wants to play on in Europe in the future he gets to double dip.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think the Boyd and Wade situations are different ..for now.

Boyd is suffering the effects of the head knocks and isn't recovering.

Wade is getting head knocks but appears for the most part to be recovering well from these, but his issue is that he's causing these himself. So it's smart he's taking the time off now to rest, fix his technique and decide what he wants to do so he doesn't become exactly like Boyd.

I wonder if it's a bad look to leave the NRL and go play in France with the impression it's a weaker comp and not as likely to get concussed. Though I'm sure everyone is thinking it.

No one is going to think less of him if he takes the year off and goes and plays in France next year, or when ever that comp starts.

We save 750k on the cap - McInnes and hopefully Finucane can be captains ?

They have the same rules around head injuries in Superleague. I watch nearly every game and the HIAs don't seem to be as many as the NRL but the management is just as, or more robust.

RFL (Super League) management of head injuries

Section E.

This part was Wade's last one to a tee.

A key concept in sideline assessment is the rapid screening for a suspected SRC, rather than the definitive diagnosis of head injury. Players manifesting clear on-field signs of SRC (eg, loss of consciousness, tonic posturing, balance disturbance) should immediately be removed from sporting participation. Players with a suspected SRC following a significant head impact or with symptoms can proceed to sideline screening using appropriate assessment tools—for example, SCAT5. Both groups can then proceed to a more thorough diagnostic evaluation, which should be performed in a distraction-free environment (eg, locker room, medical room) rather than on the sideline.