What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wade mckinnon signed

Skinner

Coach
I think it's a good signing, Wade has had star written all over him since his
junior days.

I'm still pissed at the way Webby was treated, but given time, Wade could be
a worthy replacement.

ozbash

Referee
Talented Parramatta fullback Wade McKinnon was today confirmed as the Vodafone Warriors’ major signing for the 2007 National Rugby League season.
The 25-year-old former South Sydney custodian has signed a three-year contract and will move to Auckland at the end of the 2006 season.
“I’ve obviously got some business to finish with Parramatta first but I’m excited about moving to Auckland to play under (head coach) Ivan Cleary and to play alongside guys like Steve Price and Ruben Wiki,” said McKinnon from Sydney.
“The big attraction for me to sign was the way the Warriors play. I like to run off blokes and I think their style is going to help my game.
“The Warriors have huge potential. That’s been seen by the way they’ve been playing lately. They’ve got so many talented players and lots more coming through.
“They are opponents at the moment but it’s going to be a great team to be a part of.”
Vodafone Warriors head coach Ivan Cleary was thrilled the club had been able to secure one of the NRL’s best-performed fullbacks to replace the departing Brent Webb.
“Brent’s been doing a great job for us and it’s disappointing to lose him but we’re extremely lucky to secure a player of Wade’s quality,” said Cleary.
“He brings some outstanding credentials to the club and it won’t take long for our fans to discover how valuable he’s going to be for us from next season.”
McKinnon stands out among the NRL’s fullbacks in a variety of categories. After the latest round of matches:
• He averages 16 runs a game, more than any of his fullback rivals.
• His kick return statistics are clearly the best of all fullbacks, averaging 72 metres a game.
• He makes more tackle breaks than any other fullback with an average of 7.2 a game, his best being 12 when the Eels beat Wests Tigers.
• He’s the NRL’s second best line-breaking fullback behind Melbourne’s Greg Inglis with an average 1.3 line breaks a game.
• And only Inglis is ahead of McKinnon for average metres gained per game, McKinnon with 155, Inglis 160. He made 237 metres against Penrith in one match and 233 in another against the Bulldogs.
Sydney-born McKinnon was a Parramatta junior but left the club to start his NRL career with South Sydney in 2002.
“Brett Hodgson was at Parramatta in those days and he was on fire so I went to Souths to get a start in first grade,” said McKinnon.
He played 26 times for the Rabbitohs over two seasons before returning to the Eels for the 2004 season after Hodgson left to join Wests Tigers.
The Eels’ win over Canberra on Saturday night was his 70th career match, his 44th for Parramatta. While McKinnon says he doesn’t know any of his new team-mates especially well he’s not short on advice about making himself at home in Auckland.
“I’ve been to Ericsson Stadium a few times but other than that I don’t know much about the city,” he said.
“This is the first time I will have lived outside Sydney and quite a few of the blokes at Parramatta have been giving me some tips about Auckland. Guys who have lived there before like P J Marsh have told me how much they enjoyed their time there. And some of the Kiwi boys have helped me, too.”
McKinnon’s signing continues the club’s retention and recruitment programme which has seen a number of players re-signed or given contract extensions – Ruben Wiki, Tony Martin, Simon Mannering, Manu Vatuvei, Grant Rovelli, Evarn Tuimavave and Epalahame Lauaki – while Aidan Kirk (Sydney Roosters) and Russell and Paora Packer (Central Falcons) have so far joined McKinnon as new recruits.

WADE McKINNON

Born: February 12, 1981
Birthplace: Sydney
Position: Fullback
Height: 183cm
Weight: 90kg
Junior Club: St Clair (Sydney)
NRL Clubs: South Sydney (2002-03), Parramatta (2004-06)
NRL Debut: South Sydney v Sydney Roosters, Aussie Stadium, March 15, 2002
NRL Career: South Sydney – 26 games (9 tries), Parramatta – 44 games (13 tries)
NRL Points: 88 (22 tries)

• All statistics up to and including Parramatta v Canberra on July 1.

AliN

Live Update Team
yeah mixed reactions really but no doubting he's a good fullback

very talented fullback, if he stayed at souths, he would be in contention for peacheys fullback spot for sure

is that their major signing ????, i wouldnt call it too major, not to discredit mckinnon, but shouldnt a major signing be an international or origin rep,

Iafeta

Referee
He's a top player. Those stats are incredible.

I remember watching him a couple of times as a junior over here, my word he had some ability and its started to show in the top grade in the past couple of years. He'll do a good job I think.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Rabbitohs2005 said:
very talented fullback, if he stayed at souths, he would be in contention for peacheys fullback spot for sure

is that their major signing ????, i wouldnt call it too major, not to discredit mckinnon, but shouldnt a major signing be an international or origin rep,

Quiet you. Just because your club is going on an "I smell a rort" salary cap splurge, doesn't mean you can belittle the rest of us. I hope you haven't spent all your cap for next year, you still need a decent half if you want to be competitive.

Xenu

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:

You can spend all the money you like pal. Thats one expensive wooden spoon your buying in 07

Xenu

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:
mate,souths will have to do something horribly wrong to take the spoon

I think 99% of your backline is 'horribly wrong'. If I was you it would be off season Volcano training camp for Walker, Merritt, Polglase and Champion to name just a few.

Xenu

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:

Like having a halfback rotation of beau champion, mick moran and joe williams? Whhoooooppppsss too late.

MKEB...

Staff member
Rabbitohs2005 said:

Meaning you havent done anything wrong this year? And our still getting the spoon?

Damn, I cant work that one out... maybe every other club (every other club) is doing things really really really extraordinarily right.

LeagueNut

First Grade
This will make the Parra/Warriors game at Ericsson next Saturday night a bit more interesting! :)