What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wade McKinnon Signs with Hull FC

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Like what I've seen of Meaney too.

Don't think we need to go shopping with Brown, Tuquiri, Mullaney, Meaney here.

I still think fullback would be Benji's best spot while he's young and has pace then move back to 5/8 when he's more mature.

R2Coupe

Juniors
It is exciting times for the Tigers with a bit of movement in the roster. With all the changes, imagine a forward roster with

Blair
Farah
Galloway
Dwyer
Ellis
Heighington

Fifita
Woods
Murdoch-Masila
Groat
Begovich
Spence

macnaz

Staff member
Signed to end of 2012 I think. He has been our best player this year along with the emergence of Dwyer. Has been consistently excellent and made more line breaks than anyone I would guess by hunting around the rucks for an offload.

Sad to see McKinnon go. Lacks pace but I think he's the smartest fullback in the comp.

Possibilities
Tuquiri to fullback/Brown to wing
Brown deserves a shot
Locke
Mullaney?

Anything but Moltzen

" been consistently excellent " FMD if you believe anyone at Weststigers this year has been EXCELLENT well u must be easy f**king pleased and have a very low pass mark.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
The guy we already have who i believe most has the attributes of a great fullback...courage in defence..size..speed to burn..is Lawrence...why limit that amount of talent and try scoring ability to the left side?....For all you know we could have another Gary Jack there...he's young and wants to be a one club player...what else are we looking for in a fullback?

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
" been consistently excellent " FMD if you believe anyone at Weststigers this year has been EXCELLENT well u must be easy f**king pleased and have a very low pass mark.
I think the following players have all exceeded my expectations and, yes, been consistently excellent this year: McKinnon, Utai, Brown, Dwyer, Woods

macnaz

Staff member
The guy we already have who i believe most has the attributes of a great fullback...courage in defence..size..speed to burn..is Lawrence...why limit that amount of talent and try scoring ability to the left side?....For all you know we could have another Gary Jack there...he's young and wants to be a one club player...what else are we looking for in a fullback?

Yeah im not sure Das... just seems to be a great speedy finnisher to me, im not sure he really has a great step or the allusive properties or jump to add a great deal at fullback. He would defend brilliantly and also chime into the back line nicely as well. He wouldnt be worse than Moltzen tho .... also we lose a great centre

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Be interesting to see him defensively there especially considering it took him about four years to work out how to play defensively as a centre. Could be a devastating fullback, as could Marshall. It also means it leaves us incredibly weak in the centres if Lawry move to fullback.

macnaz

Staff member
I think the following players have all exceeded my expectations and, yes, been consistently excellent this year: McKinnon, Utai, Brown, Dwyer, Woods
HAHAHA ... same as Tim thinks, thats why we always under acheive, as long as people think we have produced excellance the players well always rest easy.

Das Hassler

Bench
Re Lawrence....i just think it would be easier to find another good left centre (from the players we have) than to finally find Hodgson's long term replacement...for sure it would take a little while but i'd love to see him given a chance if he wanted it...i really could see him (possibly) developing into a fullback in the mold of Jack or Graeme Eadie if he put his mind to it.... Anyway..just daydreaming

macnaz

Staff member
Re Lawrence....i just think it would be easier to find another good left centre (from the players we have) than to finally find Hodgson's long term replacement...for sure it would take a little while but i'd love to see him given a chance if he wanted it...i really could see him (possibly) developing into a fullback in the mold of Jack or Graeme Eadie if he put his mind to it.... Anyway..just daydreaming
lol Its a pretty cool dream tho,, id love a jimmy Jack in our side again :)

Jud

Juniors
I'd pay a lot of money to have a Garry Jack in our side again, especially the mid-late 80's version. He was the man, the speed he used to run the ball back was awesome.

Happy to see Mckinnon go, he has served a purpose but time to move on. Would like to see Brown get the first shot, don't think Moltzen is the answer.

Is Brasher still fit??

shasha

Juniors
possibly

1. Benji Marshall

6. Rob Lui
7. Time Molzten

I have seen tim sheens do crazier things

possibly

1. Benji Marshall

6. Rob Lui
7. Time Molzten

I have seen tim sheens do crazier things

I was thinking similar but:

1. Benji Marshall

6. Rob Lui/ Curtis Sironen
7. Jacob Miller / Rob Lui

I initially had the above happening in 2013 but maybe next year now that Wade is leaving.

westie

Bench
Glenn Jackson is in Sheens' pocket. He seems to be suggesting that Moltzen will be fullback... but also claims it's his favoured position, when we all know he sooks if he's not wearing 7. He doesn't mind making public Benji's brittleness when it comes to Moltzen being booted.

Personally I'd run with this.

1. New

Left W. Tuqiri
Left C. Lawrence
Right C. New
Right W. New - Possibly Utai. I like his play 2s.

6. Benji
7. Miller

Brown I'd keep as he can play anywhere in the backline at a FG level. Daniela if he's happy to play more backup. Obviously we've just signed Ayshford for more than half of his career so he'll be right centre though.

Our fullback doesn't need to be a magician - someone like McKinnon will be fine. Best deal for every one for him to move on. If he had pace he'd be NSW fullback, like he should have been around 2006 (was that the year?). As long as they're safe and can add some spark off the ball players, we'll be laughing.

We really need some strike on the right side. Sheens limits Benji to the left, and Farah only plays left so unless we can get a centre who can create something from nothing or Benji, Fulton, Ellis etc are unleashed like in rep footy (that would be a higher standard than in club footy Timmy... you may have noticed Benji wrap up another trophy for the Kiwis down the right) we need to make a signing. What we do with 5 year Ayshford is beyond me though.

---

Edit.

I've had a thought. Perhaps Miller could play a standard halfbacks role on the right. Flat attack with Ayshford using his size off late passes, perhaps with a fullback wrapping around like I supposed Tuqiri might a few years ago after his centre showings at Leicester. A few kicks in behind for Utai.

Last time we had a halfback doing that, he got dropped for setting up more trys than Benji and raising our winning percentage so maybe that might not be a good idea.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a rumour doing the rounds a while ago that we were chasing Kevin Locke. I brushed it at the time considering the players we have but considering recent events this doesn't seem as much of a stretch. By the way I have no facts to base this on, just remember reading it somewhere earlier this year.

that would be a good pick up. He can kick goals and would be better than any fullback option we have.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking similar but:

1. Benji Marshall

6. Rob Lui/ Curtis Sironen
7. Jacob Miller / Rob Lui

I initially had the above happening in 2013 but maybe next year now that Wade is leaving.
Benji would have been a good fullback when he first came to grade, don't think it's worth the risk now, especially when it means having two inconsistent young guys in the halves. We've seen how well that works at Parramatta and the Sharks