What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wales announce 4 Nations squad

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Chris Beasley - Central Comets (Australia)
Andy Bracek - Crusaders
Lee Briers - Warrington Wolves
Neil Budworth - MacKay Cutters (Australia)
Ross Divorty - Featherstone Rovers
Gil Dudson - Crusaders
Ben Flower - Crusaders
Tyson Frizell - Cronulla Sharks (Australia)
Andrew Gay - South Wales Scorpions
Aled James - South Wales Scorpions
Jordan James - Crusaders
Danny Jones - Halifax
Craig Kopzcak - Bradford Bulls
Elliot Kear - Crusaders
Mark Lennon - Thirroul Butchers (Australia)
Peter Lupton - Crusaders
Christiaan Roets - South Wales Scorpions
Matt Seamark - Wynnum Manly Seagulls (Australia)
Gareth Thomas - Crusaders
Ian Watson - Swinton Lions
Ian Webster - Central Comets (Australia)
Lloyd White - Crusaders
Lee Williams - Crusaders
Rhys Williams - Warrington Wolves

COACHES
Iestyn Harris Head Coach
Barry Eaton Assistant Coach
Damian Gibson Assistant Coach
Dan Clements Assistant Coach
Richard Johnson Doctor
Ben Stirling Physio
Mark Rowley Team Manager
John Devereux Team Manager
Richard Hunwicks Strength and Conditioning Coach

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
I count 6. I may be wrong though.

I fear for some of the scorelines in this game 4N though. Realistically, 50 should be a minimum by all teams and if any team clicks on the given day they play Wales it could be totally embarrassing.

nadera78

Juniors
8 born and bred taffs - Dudson, Flower, A. James, Kear, White, Thomas, R. Williams, L. Williams.

Plus, although born in England, I think Jordan James would give you a smack if you questioned his nationality. Roets is probably more Welsh than saffer by now, too.

And guys like Mark Lennon have consistently flown around the world for the chance to play for Wales. Ian Watson always seems to grow six inches, a couple of stone, and a third lung when he pulls on the Welsh jersey.

The one thing you are absolutely guaranteed form the Welsh is 100% commitment and endeavour. They won't go hiding in this one, I'm certain of that.

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
8 born and bred taffs - Dudson, Flower, A. James, Kear, White, Thomas, R. Williams, L. Williams.

Plus, although born in England, I think Jordan James would give you a smack if you questioned his nationality. Roets is probably more Welsh than saffer by now, too.

And guys like Mark Lennon have consistently flown around the world for the chance to play for Wales. Ian Watson always seems to grow six inches, a couple of stone, and a third lung when he pulls on the Welsh jersey.

Christiaan Roets came through their domestic competition, and Ross Divorty is welsh born. Players with games in bracket bellow.

Chris Beasley - (6)
Andy Bracek - (3)
Lee Briers - (20)
Neil Budworth - (7)
Ross Divorty - (6)
Gil Dudson - (8)
Ben Flower - (8)
Tyson Frizell - (0)
Andrew Gay - (2)
Aled James - (11)
Jordan James - (20)
Danny Jones - (4)
Craig Kopzcak - (5)
Elliot Kear - (6)
Mark Lennon - (16)
Peter Lupton - (0)
Christiaan Roets - (6)
Matt Seamark - (0)
Gareth Thomas - (4)
Ian Watson - (27)
Ian Webster - (10)
Lloyd White - (6)
Lee Williams - (6)
Rhys Williams - (8)

Last edited:

crimpo

Juniors
Yup I thought Divorty was English born - but that's still 8 native-born and Christiaan Roets - a pretty good effort. They are facing a mountain in all three ties. They have four guys from Championship 2 and that's a heck of a step up. But they did EARN the right.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
You've got to start somewhere and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform. I also think that having Crusaders in C1 from 2012 could prove to be a blessing in disguise for Welsh RL. No longer should Crusaders be stacked full of absolute naff Australian players but hopefully young Welsh talent.

Evil Homer

Staff member
You've got to start somewhere and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform. I also think that having Crusaders in C1 from 2012 could prove to be a blessing in disguise for Welsh RL. No longer should Crusaders be stacked full of absolute naff Australian players but hopefully young Welsh talent.
It won't be full of Welshmen, and those that do play will be playing at about 1/50th the intensity.

Perth Tiger

Bench
What is the movement like between the C1 and the Super League. Is it likely that any decent welsh players from the Crusaders would be picked up by SL clubs or is it more a case that the SL clubs don't really bother looking outside their own systems for players?

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
It won't be full of Welshmen, and those that do play will be playing at about 1/50th the intensity.

I understand that there will be more than a few Englishmen in the squad, but surely there will be more Welshmen in the squad than what we have seen over the last few years. And you are stating the obvious that the intensity will be lower, but they aren't doomed to C1 forever. They may earn promotion in 12 months time. Who knows? I'm just trying to find positives, but if there genuinely aren't any than fair play to that.

adamkungl

Immortal

Yep, you would hope that in the next few years they will continue improving, despite the setback.

Coastbloke

Bench

I'm not trying to have a go, but Wales has been playing League for decades..

How much start is needed..

Same as when I saw France being mentioned as an emerging nation in a edition of Big League this year..

There's been plenty of time to build these two nations as powerhouse (or in France's case reinstated as a powerhouse) but unfortunately there's 2 gorillas in the room..The Australian and English club comps deliberately stifling international footy to protect their domestic comps..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Traditionally the Welsh team was made up of RU players switching codes, however this team is made up of players who have played the game at a young age (exception being Thomas).

15 years ago Wales had barely any local talent in their international team, today they have 8 or 9. Fast forward 15 years and I can see this being 20 players. RL needs to learn patience even if this Welsh team is beaten heavily we must look to the positives and see what potential the game has in the future and where it can be in 50 years.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Look at the experence in the side, hell its probably more than the kiwis!! But what i am meaning is that this side has not been thrown together but built over the past 3-4 years.

I would say a majority of them will be around in 2013?? Less thomas, and maybe Lennon, Bries and Watson??

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I'm not trying to have a go, but Wales has been playing League for decades..

How much start is needed..

Same as when I saw France being mentioned as an emerging nation in a edition of Big League this year..

There's been plenty of time to build these two nations as powerhouse (or in France's case reinstated as a powerhouse) but unfortunately there's 2 gorillas in the room..The Australian and English club comps deliberately stifling international footy to protect their domestic comps..

Fair point. And when I say 'start' I'm really referring to being able to compete with the big 3, or at the very least playing regular games against the big 3. I know Wales were very competitive in the days before professionalism.