What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wales to have 12 clubs next year

HelperMonkey

Juniors
Rugby League legend Prendeville to take bite at RL Conference
Gary Baker on 15/12/2005

Llanelli-based Rugby League legend Paul Prendiville is behind one of the two new teams expected to be involved in next year's Welsh Conference.

Prendiville, who was a prestigous winger for Hull and Wales and played at Wembley in the 10-5 Challenge Cup Final defeat to arch rivals Hull Kingston Rovers in 1980, is helping to put together a club called West Wales Sharks that will enter the Conference next summer.

The Sharks, to be based at New Dock Stars RFC, will be joined by Aberavon Fighting Irish, Swansea Valley Miners and reigning Welsh champions Bridgend Blue Bulls in a re-structured competition that will see the Conference split into east and west leagues.

Also, a side based around the Swansea city area is being proposed in a ten-team competition that will see Cardiff Demons, the Valley Cougars, of Pontypridd, plus former British Shield runners-up Torfaen Tigers, from Pontypool, Newport Titans and another new side based at Blackwood all figuring in the east region.

And a new tournament in memory of former Aberavon Fighting Irish 16-year-old Scott McCrory, who tragically collapsed and died in May 2004 , is to be inaugurated next year.

New Welsh Rugby League executive chairman Mark Rowley said: "The Conference will be going to two groups of five and hopefully then we will be expanding further.Behind that as well, we have the junior structure of under-13s, 15s and 17s which most clubs will be supporting.

"We are in talks for a team in Swansea that will make the west region up to five and ten in the Conference overall."

And, with the Celtic Crusaders beginning their debut season in the semi-professional National League Two in April, Rowley, the former Wales Union and League international, believes the 13-a-side code is growing more than ever.

He added: ""We are looking to develop the youngsters alongside the more experienced players. It will be going to two groups of five and hopefully then we will be expanding further.

"Behind that as well, we have the junior structure of under-13s, 15s and 17s which most clubs will be sup porting. Ultimately it will be working towards a Crusaders' Academy next season in September at under-18 level and they will play all Super League teams then at least once at home."

The end-of-season knock-out stages will see a cup and shield tournament as in previous years. Rowley, who is involved with the Valley Cougars, added: ""It will be top of East v second in West and top of West v second in East for the cup. For the Shield, it will be third against fourth in both leagues.

"This is another step forward for us. It will mean that we will go into the British Cup that Bridgend Blue Bulls won last year and also the National Shield that Cardiff Demons won two years ago. We didn't enter the Shield this year because the time overlap with the Rugby Union season wasn't good enough.

"The season next year will run from June to August. This will be of benefit to us as there is no overlap.

"Also we are going to run a Scott McCrory Nines in me mory of the boy that died at Aberavon and we are hoping to run that in Blackwood on the May Day Bank Holiday weekend just to get the interest in that area. Blackwood have agreed to host it and every year after that, we will move it around the different clubs.

"Every team will be entering it so that they can use it as a warm-up and a selection process if they want to. We are hoping that the clubs will be able to enter two teams each."

But the biggest change of the lot is that the Welsh Rugby League is going to be unshackled from the Rugby Football League in Leeds and be able to look after their own affairs.

The RFL will, of course, continue to be the governing body but they will allow the Welsh RFL to make their own decisions in their competition.

Rowley added: ""I hope to be signing the agreement to be autonimous on Monday and we will have an office in Bridgend. All international matches will be played at Bridgend and we will make the Brewery Field the home of Welsh Rugby League then although we may move one or two age grade games around the clubs."

So that brings the total number of Welsh clubs to 12 with:
Wales West:
Aberavon Fighting Irish
Bridgend Bulls
Swansea Valley Miners
Swansea (New side)
West Wales Sharks

Wales East:
Blackwood
Cardiff Demons
Torfaen Tigers
Newport Titans
Valley Cougars

RLC North West Division:
North Wales Coasters

National League 2:
Celtic Crusaders

Big-Hitter

Juniors
Would be nice to see Scotland get their act together on the domestic front (to be fair, in terms of rep footie, they're exemplary) and get their conference off the ground properly.

I wonder whether Giovanni at 40-20 is going to throw his weight behind the welsh clubs in the way he has with the Irish. It would be good to be able to purchase a full range of Welsh merchandise online.

bowes

Juniors
One question I've got is whether the Welsh leagues will stay at RLC Premier level or drop down to RLC Regional level with the new set-up.

Probably doesn't mean a lot to most Aussies, but it does to me, particularly as my team (Coventry) should be joining the RLC Premier next season after resigning from NL3

carlnz

Bench
Ultimately it will be working towards a Crusaders' Academy next season in September at under-18 level and they will play all Super League teams then at least once at home.

This is great news for not only Wales but International Rugby League. Not only about the new clubs but the amount of Juniors they will be playing next year.

I have no doubts that by the 2008 World Cup Wales will be very competitive, and to think when they finaly have a team in thre Super League they should by then have at least 14-16 Domestic Teams with Juniors which will create depth for them.

We have finaly got France up to a good standard, now its time to put time and effort into getting Wales and PNG up to International Standard.

IMO its great to have more clubs, but the only way a Nation will ever improve on the International front is by having heaps of Juniors playing other nations like Aus and the Kiwis.....eg U16 World Cup

colonel_123

Juniors
It certainly bodes well for International League.

By 2009 or 10 there'll be at least one and possibly two professional French sides, plus if all goes to plan a fully professional Welsh side.

Add to that, the extra French and Welsh who will undoubtebly be playing for the other Super League and National League 1 sides and the French National comp.

That will mean that five nations, Australia, New Zealand, England, France and Wales will be able to field fully professional National sides.

It's slow and steady progress that bodes well for the future of the sport at an International level.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Big-Hitter said:
Would be nice to see Scotland get their act together on the domestic front (to be fair, in terms of rep footie, they're exemplary) and get their conference off the ground properly.

Scotland currently has 2 less senior teams and a lot more juniors than Wales. They are hardly dragging their feet.

bowes

Juniors
There was only 6 senior sides in Scotland last year.
Admittedly there was one team on a sabbatical and 2 that combined for a year. but that's still a potential of 8.
Also all the teams except Fife struggle to raise sides most weeks.
Juniors in Wales are up a lot, but there's loads in Glasgow.

BlindMan

Juniors
great to my country wales on the up in rugby league, i just hope rugby union doesnt try to smother the superior rugby game that is league here. Im from the north, and the only team seems to be the north wales coasters, but i cant find any info from this team, even by following th elink from the the welsh rugby league website, their page doesnt exist.

thanks

BlindMan

bowes

Juniors
North Wales Coasters will play in the Cheshire Division next season, but don't know where they play.

RU clubs (perhaps not the WRU, although they're neutral as far as I know) seem quite supportive of RL as a rule, so you won't get problems like that.

BlindMan

Juniors
bowes said:
North Wales Coasters will play in the Cheshire Division next season, but don't know where they play.
hmm yeh i think they used to play in my home town colwyn bay, but the colwyn bay rugby webmaster said they have only a rugby league team in juniors, damn i was trying to find out because i wanted to watch and also try out for them, but i think im a few years to hold for the u'16 team he he.:(

bowes said:
RU clubs (perhaps not the WRU, although they're neutral as far as I know) seem quite supportive of RL as a rule, so you won't get problems like that.
really? few, cheers dude:)

YANTO

Juniors
BlindMan said:
great to my country wales on the up in rugby league, i just hope rugby union doesnt try to smother the superior rugby game that is league here. Im from the north, and the only team seems to be the north wales coasters, but i cant find any info from this team, even by following th elink from the the welsh rugby league website, their page doesnt exist.

thanks

BlindMan

Blindman,
I set up the Coasters in 1990 in Llandudno with the help of Bernard Duffy from Rhyl and Gerard Keenan from Colwyn Bay.
First ever game was against Bradford Supporters at Llandudno RUFC that got good coverage from BBC Wales and S4C.
The Coasters then played at St Aseph and then Abergele sports center.
For a few years we had our own ground at Boddlwythen Hospital before the club folded.
As far as I know they are now playing out of Colwyn Bay RUFC.
I believe Gerrard is still involved.
I have pm'ed you his contact details.

BlindMan

Juniors
YANTO said:
Blindman,
I set up the Coasters in 1990 in Llandudno with the help of Bernard Duffy from Rhyl and Gerard Keenan from Colwyn Bay.
First ever game was against Bradford Supporters at Llandudno RUFC that got good coverage from BBC Wales and S4C.
The Coasters then played at St Aseph and then Abergele sports center.
For a few years we had our own ground at Boddlwythen Hospital before the club folded.
As far as I know they are now playing out of Colwyn Bay RUFC.
I believe Gerrard is still involved.
I have pm'ed you his contact details.

oh wow, thats awsome mate, i'll try the email address you gave me,
id love to be able to watch some proper rugby, not union locally. and would love to play.

even though theirs nothing about them on the information on colwy bay ru website, they guy at the top of this forum said they are in this new welsh conference, so looks good for a team for the North Welsh, (not that im saying anything wrong with all the teams being from south wales, - i want celtic crusaders to do well for the good of welsh rugby league). anyway in the mean time il be staying with my trips to wigan warriors every so often.

thanks again

BlindMan

Juniors
bowes said:
That's the impression I've got, there might be individual people anti-RL, but nothing systematic.

yeh in that case then, the only problem rugby league will have in wales is getting the fans, either converting rugby union fans or targeting completely new ones

ali

Bench
BlindMan said:
even though theirs nothing about them on the information on colwy bay ru website, they guy at the top of this forum said they are in this new welsh conference, so looks good for a team for the North Welsh, (not that im saying anything wrong with all the teams being from south wales, - i want celtic crusaders to do well for the good of welsh rugby league). anyway in the mean time il be staying with my trips to wigan warriors every so often.

thanks again

Definately not in the Welsh conference as it's too far to travel. They are usually in an English conference as there's less travel involved.

YANTO

Juniors
ali said:
Definately not in the Welsh conference as it's too far to travel. They are usually in an English conference as there's less travel involved.
The new Cheshire Division I believe.
The North West Division has a new format and is too strong for a few teams who are looking to drop down into more regionalised leagues.
The Coasters used to play winter rugby in the North West Counties League and I tell you when we travelled to Accrington and Bamber bridge I was nearer Cumbria than Llandudno.
It would be an impossible task playing in the welsh conference due to, as you rightly state ,the distances involved for an amateur club.

bowes

Juniors
Two problem with the old set up: too many strong teams for one division and too big a theoretical area: Cumbria to North Wales. Last season the 2nd one wasn't a problem as there were no clubs north of Blackpool plus there were only 10 teams so there was no other option.

However the first problem was serious with lots of thrashings and walkovers. I think 1 or 2 teams are moving up and the rest are being divided into 2 regional divisions with some new development teams, diluting the standard so there's less thrashings (but inevitably still some while there's not enough teams for lots of divisions).

Divisional line-ups should be out soon so we'll see then.

Latest posts