What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walker making impression on Titans coach

Redback71

First Grade
not sure if anyone has seen this yet

Walker making impression on Titans coach

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 5:20 PM
Impressed by Chris Walker's work ethic at training, Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says he's leaning towards signing the controversial winger to the NRL club.
The Titans picked Walker off the scrapheap and offered him an NRL lifeline in November but a final decision on whether to sign the 26-year-old won't be made until after the club's three trials.
So far the former Queensland Origin player, released by Melbourne last year, hasn't put a foot wrong.
"Chris has done everything asked of him," said Cartwright, who worked with Walker at the Roosters where he was assistant coach under Ricky Stuart.
"He's training really well and from my time at the Roosters with him I know fitness and football is not a problem with Chris.
"We'll assess Chris at the end of the trials but he's not going anywhere.
"He's only got to keep doing what he's doing and there'll be a (first grade) spot for him somewhere."
Walker knows this could be his final chance to play NRL following stints with Brisbane, Souths, Sydney Roosters and the Storm before his move to the Gold Coast.
He gained a bad boy reputation during his time in Sydney but Cartwright believes the former Queensland Origin player is reformed.
"He's come here with a clean slate and he's done nothing wrong," the coach told reporters at an open training session.
"His training ethic is first-class and he's a positive member of the squad.
"If he maintains that through the trials I see no reason why he wouldn't be pushing for a first grade spot."
Cartwright said he had spoken to his squad about the importance of developing the right attitude as competition for spots heats up.
"I had a talk to them yesterday and a lot of times you have to pick the side on attitude," he added.
"We've got 31 in the squad here and I can't fault any one of them.
"If they're all level on attitude then it will come down to how they perform in the trials.
"It's a warm fuzzy feeling at the moment but they're all competing for 17 spots.
"That's a good thing to have in your club. I couldn't be happier at the moment."
The Titans play their first trial match on February 17 against Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.
They will have two more games in which to gel as a team - against Parramatta and Penrith - before taking on St George Illawarra in their NRL premiership debut at Suncorp Stadium on March 18.

Source: AAP

http://nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/3810/Default.aspx

Sharkie™

Juniors
He will definately get a contract now with Carney walking out on the club, Peterson with the knee concerns and Matt Rogers being made of chalk.

Dragooner

Bench
At first I thought that Walker wouldn't get a contract but now that Carney walked out and Turner isn't going there he's nearly assured a contract!

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
If Walker cuts out the crap, and really puts his head down and works hard, he could be a very good pickup for the titans.

lotti

Bench
good luck to him, I'm just glad he's not playing for Melbourne anymore so I can bad-mouth him without having to bad-mouth a Storm player at the same time.

Roosters_187

Juniors
I was thinking about walker and wanted to see if any1 would agree with playing him at fullback. For one it would hide his defensive flaws, and in attack he could play in the sam mould as minichiello nd work off prince and he could use his best asset being his pace. I cant really remember but i think he was decent enough under the high ball to be in the number 1. This means mathers missies out on being fullback but it gives him time to adjust to the nrl. Any thoughts

ktcoop

Juniors
Walkers OK under the high ball ... and from all reports he seems to have his act together. Now that Kate is seeing someone else he's not going to be wanting to be back in Sydney with her so that should help with the off field issues!
I hope he gets a contract having been a Walker fan!

lotti said:
good luck to him, I'm just glad he's not playing for Melbourne anymore so I can bad-mouth him without having to bad-mouth a Storm player at the same time.

Chris Walker...things are looking up for Gold Coast :lol: :lol: :lol:

TITAN1

Juniors
kia ora storm said:
Chris Walker...things are looking up for Gold Coast :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes,we have a player who appreciates the opportunity hes been given,unlike the snot nosed whiney bitch melbourne had to cough up TWO players and a wad of cash for us to release..good work,dumbass!;-)