What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARL Results/Fixtures 2009

b0rt

Juniors
Could anyone tell me if Joel Rawlins is still playing for WA Reds
dropped out with a knee reco last year and has just come back from his second one to play for south perth on the weekend. also works for the WARL as a development officer. so atm, no he doesnt.
Did Goodwin who starred at the weekend come out of the WARL? Someone told me his dad, Ted Goodwin, is involved at Nth Beach and Bryce played jnrs at North Beach. Is this right?
try south perth, think both bryson and bronx played there, dunno how much ted was involved. older bro luke came across too due to the original Western Reds

Last edited:

joondalup_giant

Staff member
ted goodwin did some junior coachin and refereeing while he was over here. I remember him bein a great bloke with plenty of story's!

black and gold

Juniors
The fact is the comments are very true and I can give a 100 examples to support this but do not need to. 1 easy one is the State side 13 out 20 from one club what a lot of rubbish. South Perth have 2 Directors of the WARL at the club and the certainly get what ever they want and have done for years .This is a common fact of life in WA.
im looing foward to your other 98 reasons. now, the state side was picked on form from the end of last year and the start of this year.there are some players that are in good form now, but missed out when the team was selected because it has to be picked early in the season. there is no bias towards south perth players been picked at all.a lot of late selections for the state side has to do with the availability of the reds fringe players.late inclusions to the state side included tim cook[central]zac keating[north beach] and joel freeman[central] due to good form.
who are the directors you are talking about, i know there is only one from south perth orginally.who would have you picked in your state side, because what i witnessed, the south perth players played well for their state.

WA Power

Juniors
The State side each year is picked after 2 Pre-season games which lead into the Perth City V Perth Kiwis game from that a squad is picked. I am not sure this is the best option at all and after the performance at Casey Fields this year it should be reviewed. One Director is also a selector and his son was picked in the second row, I watched him play the last 3 weekends and is certainly not the best second rower we have in WA, in fact once the players return from injury will be back to reggies. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

South Perth are a good club and my only concern is they seem amount of favours they get from the WARL.

I was at the game on Saturday against Centrals and was amazed how the runner late in the second half was allowed to stay on the field for long periods of time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely that is down to the refs at the game not the WARL? Or do you think the board of the WARL informed the refs that Sth Perth should be allowed to have a runner on the field for long periods?

Now if a ref makes a report on it and it gets ignored you have a point, if other clubs have been punished for the same thing (I'd also query why the ref didn't deal with it during the game).

WA Power

Juniors
You have misunderstood my previous post as my comment about the runners was not directed at the directors but an observation I saw on Saturday at the game. Centrals have lodged a complaint with the WARL about this matter.

albert

Juniors
You have misunderstood my previous post as my comment about the runners was not directed at the directors but an observation I saw on Saturday at the game. Centrals have lodged a complaint with the WARL about this matter.
I was there also and stated in another post what I had saw.

black and gold

Juniors
The State side each year is picked after 2 Pre-season games which lead into the Perth City V Perth Kiwis game from that a squad is picked. I am not sure this is the best option at all and after the performance at Casey Fields this year it should be reviewed. One Director is also a selector and his son was picked in the second row, I watched him play the last 3 weekends and is certainly not the best second rower we have in WA, in fact once the players return from injury will be back to reggies. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

South Perth are a good club and my only concern is they seem amount of favours they get from the WARL.

I was at the game on Saturday against Centrals and was amazed how the runner late in the second half was allowed to stay on the field for long periods of time.
what are these favours you speak of.reno was put in the state side for his high tackle rate and his ability to run dummy runs and his talk on the football feild. i agree he is not the best second rower in the comp, but he was picked mainly for his defence, he does at lest 40 tackles a game and selectors agreed that the other second rowers selected were more mobile, attacking players and a defencive foward was needed in the squad of 20.the only way w.a selectors can have a decent look at players before the start of the carnival is to start the season earlier in the year. they dont do this because of the heat. i think they should start the pre season 4 weeks earlier and play the games at night.i dont kow if you were at the carnival this year but the boys played very good football in the first two games and came up a very strong side in victoria.they had a physical dommanince that many of our young blokes had not experienced before and were the better side on the day, but in saying that we could play them tomorrow on a dry track and knock them off. most of their side were ex kiwis involved with the storm in the toyota cup and the nsw cup but we know what to expect next year as the victorian rugby league has done alot of good work.

WA Power

Juniors
I have watched South Perth play the last 4 games and Reno would be lucky to make 10 tackles per game and in one game he never even touched the ball.

I was at Casey Field and saw first hand the WA side; the whole selection process needs a review.

Anyway good discussion, I am back to NSW tonight for 3 weeks and will be back in August but will watch closely the WA comp

Last edited:

Smithtown

Coach
Massive win for the Roosters takes them into 5th spot.

Fremantle 26 North Beach 20
Joondalup 46 Kalgoorlie 14
South Perth 52 Willagee 18
Centrals 34 Rockingham 22

Centrals 14, South Perth 13, Joondalup 13, Rockingham 8, Fremantle 7, North Beach 6, Kalgoorlie 3, Willagee 0 - I think

Big gap from 3rd to 4th and Fremantle on the charge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been a long time since we had 6 teams all being competitive and taking points off each other. Could we possibly get a GF that doesn't feature Sth's or nth's?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
What a great comp we have this year Fremantle are going to come home very strong with players back from injury and the likes of Tahu, Coppedge & edwards dropping back into there squad.

Every game from here on out should be a cracker after this weekends masters tournament.

Very exciting times for the Tooheys Cup

Nuke

Staff member
Yep, it's great to see.
This isn't an attack on either South Perth or North Beach, but it's fantastic to see them falling off slowly (or not-so-slowly in North Beach's case) and having other teams up there.

I would love to see a Grand Final without South Perth and North Beach, let alone a GF not played between them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems the players with Reds experience dropping back to teh clubs is certainly helping bring the standard of soem clubs up. Looking forward to the play offs.

WADoggiesFan

Juniors
Results from 8/8/09 @ George Burnett

Sth Perth V. Joondalup

WTL - Joon 10 def Sth Perth 6
Res - Sth Perth 52 def Joon 18
1st - Sth Perth 24 def Joon 18

Good result for Sth Perth, especially in Reserve Grade, pushing them to the top of the ladder 2 points clear of Joondalup with 2 rounds to go.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
Womens scoreline was actually 10-4
Ressies scoreline was 50-16
Firsts was 26-20

You were close in all of them, WADoggiesFan!
Pardon my pedanticism (if that's even a word!).

albert

Juniors
I here that Kalgoorlie has pulled out of the comp for the rest of the year.Sad news but I guess in the end all the travelling and work commitments probably got to the lads from the Goldfields.Will they back up next year? If not I would like to thank them for there efforts over the last couple of seasons it is a huge effort.