What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne v Waugh

mozza91

Coach
God he’s a wanker. He needs to stop talking before he loses all of the respect he built up being a brilliant cricketer.

Tommy Smith

Referee
And Steve Waugh just embarrassed Warnie again on the ABC.

He was quizzed about Warne's remarks in his book and responded by saying that he has no comment.

And when pressed further he said that he has more important things to worry about such as his charity ride, rather than going over things that happened 20 years ago.

Burnnnn.

What a legend.

TheParraboy

Staff member
God he’s a wanker. He needs to stop talking before he loses all of the respect he built up being a brilliant cricketer.

Because of his pathetic agendas and cry for attention I have looked down on his career

Was lucky he played against terrible poms side where he took most of his wickets. SA, WI, NZ were not used to leg spin. Failed in India. Had McGrath at the other end creating pressure.

I’m convinced McGill would have done just as well, maybe even better. He outperformed Warne in times they played together

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Jeez, whatever breed of wanker Warne is you can't deny that the bloke was the best spin bowler to play the game.

What made him unique was his control and his ability to keep it tight at one end due to batsmen having no idea how much it was going to drift and turn. Mcgill didn't have that and always bowled at least one 4 ball an over, when mcgill was 'outperforming' warne, warne had a busted shoulder and spinning finger.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And Steve Waugh just embarrassed Warnie again on the ABC.

He was quizzed about Warne's remarks in his book and responded by saying that he has no comment.

And when pressed further he said that he has more important things to worry about such as his charity ride, rather than going over things that happened 20 years ago.

Burnnnn.

What a legend.
Drop the :microphone: Tugga.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Because of his pathetic agendas and cry for attention I have looked down on his career

Was lucky he played against terrible poms side where he took most of his wickets. SA, WI, NZ were not used to leg spin. Failed in India. Had McGrath at the other end creating pressure.

I’m convinced McGill would have done just as well, maybe even better. He outperformed Warne in times they played together
Nah.

I can still remember the 2005 Ashes. Not that you'd boil down such an amazing career down to one series...

But it was Shane Warne vs a great England team.

And Shane Warne almost won. In fact if he didn't drop KP on the last morning of the 5th Test he would have won.

The bloke is a massive douche; and yet somehow his genius with a ball was even more immense than his douchebaggery.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Jeez, whatever breed of wanker Warne is you can't deny that the bloke was the best spin bowler to play the game.

What made him unique was his control and his ability to keep it tight at one end due to batsmen having no idea how much it was going to drift and turn. Mcgill didn't have that and always bowled at least one 4 ball an over, when mcgill was 'outperforming' warne, warne had a busted shoulder and spinning finger.
The 4-ball comment is spot on. Always Gangreen knows his cricket.

It is so hard to produce laser like accuracy, over after over, when bowling leg spin. MacGill was a great wicket taker but he couldn't maintain the accuracy. And no shame in that, it's bloody difficult.

But Warney could nag away at you with McGrath like accuracy; landing them where he wants for an entire spell.

It really was suffocating when the egomaniac bowled in tandem with the elephant hunter.

The difference in accuracy is reflected in the stats...

Warne averaged 25 vs MacGills 29. And yet MacGill had a slightly better S/R - 54 to 57. The big difference was the econ. Warne 2.65 to MacGill's 3.22.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I agree, I remember back then I was quiet critical of the team playing Warne over McGilla because he really was bowling better at the time.

What pissed me off even more, was when MGilla got dropped and they played on spin friendly SACA or SCG they would always pick an offie, like Tim May to partner him while McGill was cleaning up in shield cricket. The idiot selectors said it was all about picking someone who would be a good foil for Warne and some one who bowled differently at the other end.

Its a f**king stupid argument when you consider McGilla was a strike bowler but Tim May was simply a foil, I just wonder how much influence Warne had on this decision.

For mine its a illogical as saying you cant pick Dizzy or Binga in the same team ad McGrath because they are both right arm quicks. McGilla would have taken a lot more wickets than May ever did.

I also remember Richie Benaud saying that it silly comparing Warne with McGilla as they are different types of bowlers, which they were. He was also critical of McGilla being left out.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Definitely had control, and in his craft was awesome no question there. After all was voted one of Wisden top 5 cricketers last century

Just saying lucky to play in the era he did against crap opposition where he excelled and McGill not getting more of a run (see twizs post).

Timbo

Staff member
I have always been convinced that picking trundlers like May, Robertson, Miller, Hauritz, etc. as a 'foil' for Warne was largely driven by him not wanting to be outbowled by MacGill at the other end.

MacGill would've taken 500+ wickets and be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time if it wasn't for Mr Plastic. I would take MacGilla first any day of the week.

Also, we're the country that produced Grimmett and O'Reilly - them both being leggies and playing in tandem didn't seem to hamper their becoming all-time legends of the game.

Eelectrica

Referee
Be a team playing and don't stand in Warne's spotlight.

He was a great bowler who helped win us plenty of games. Just wish he could leave the baggage behind.

WaznTheGreat

Referee

Bruh that 2005 England team had some of there best/most successful cricketers they have ever had and Warne took like 40 wickets in that series

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Warne is one of the biggest Douche’s in the universe, but Macgill isn’t fit to do up Warnes bootlaces.

Warne was the best defensive bowler I have ever seen, you could use him as an attacking weapon, you could use him as a stock bowler or you use him to dry up an end. Which was totally unheard for a leg spin bowler.

Latest posts