What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warner out of New Zealand ODI series

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Vice-captain rested from Chappell-Hadlee to prepare for India Test series as Aaron Finch and Shaun Marsh recalled for three-match NZ tour

Aaron Finch has been recalled to Australia's one-day international squad, with vice-captain David Warner rested from the Qantas Tour of New Zealand.

Australia's Test players in the ODI squad will depart for the India tour direct from New Zealand, and selectors have moved to give Warner a break from white-ball cricket beforehand.

Usman Khawaja has also been prioritised for Test cricket, and will head to Dubai early, with Shaun Marsh recalled to the one-day side.

Interim National Selector Trevor Hohns said Warner would link up with his Test playing colleagues at the team's Dubai training camp.

"David has had a very big summer and will benefit from a break in cricket, both mentally and physically," Hohns said.

"He will travel to Dubai in the second group of departures to coincide with those players arriving from the one-day series in New Zealand.

"This gives Aaron an opportunity to return to the side. His form in the Big Bash League has been very good and he has earnt his recall."

Australia ODI squad: Steve Smith (c), Pat Cummins, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Billy Stanlake, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...-hadlee-finch-warner-khawaja-marsh/2017-01-23

Bit of arrogance here for mine, its ODIs not 5 day games.

Incorrect

Coach
To be honest, I think we could all do with a rest from ODI cricket... I think I might sit this one out too....

Meth

Staff member
Do us a favour and rest Smith and Hazelwood too.

In return, we will rest Jesse Ryder

JJ

Immortal
Edit - should have been three, strike bowler for strike bowler, Lachie take a seat

Front-Rower

First Grade
LOL and Warner was moaning a few weeks back about not being able to play in the T20's against Sri Lanka

Bazal

Post Whore
I've got no issues with this. After all, can't have young schoolboy cricketers burning out at an early age....

Incorrect

Coach
I wonder how it works with players match payments if they are made to sit out games.... The way I understand it, players are placed on a retainer for x amount with Cricket Australia, and then receive match payments also... Let's say Warner gets match payments of $4000 per ODI.... if he is made to sit out the series against NZ, despite the fact that he is fit and capable of playing, he surely gets compensated the loss of income???

Iafeta

Referee
Compensation is not being scarred from the experience of taking on a demon bowling attack. Short term pain long term gain.

Surprised Doolan didn't get the call up TBH

Latest posts