What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Warriors aiming to "buy" away games for 2022

The_Frog

First Grade

roofromoz

First Grade
I love it. Would be good to see Penrith re-activate it's deal with Christchurch - there was just the one match in 2016 but I think it was initially a 3(?) year agreement that was wound up in 2017.

Personally I feel they should be trading their home games this year for away games, with their away games next year played in NZ.

I’d also like Magic round to be at Eden Park or Wellington next year too

Agree re Magic Round, this bobbed up in the expansion thread. I’ve been to Eden Park twice for the Nines and I’d urge magic round be taken there..

Not if the club discloses it at the time of renewal - with the Panthers it's usually sold as 11 home games (with the 12th at Bathurst).

Cheers Roo. I’ve not been a member for ages but know plenty who are, and crack it when a game goes to Mudgee, Parkes or similar.. That at least makes it up front before renewal.

This Year?

Immortal
If the NRL and the clubs are legit they should be working with the Warriors after their sacrifice. The Warriors CEO has even gone to this length to make it more financially viable for the other clubs to make this happen.

I love the idea of Magic round going there. Maybe they could name it "thank you Warriors round" and make it a festival of footy.

If the price per game is adjusted then no issue really

Yeah true..

Although if “too many” home games are transferred to other regions I can see why people get annoyed.

Particularly Dragons fans. Doesn’t take much to annoy dragons fans but I can appreciate their annoyance when multiple home games are taken away...

Their home games are split between two regions as it is, a big distance from each other.. then when one or two further games can be taken away to the likes of Homebush, the SCG (for Anzac Day), then a regional area or two...

If you’re in the Illawarra you may be seeing potentially only 5 home games in your area a year from the full season allocation of 13..

I haven’t been a dragons member for ages and I know friends of mine who haven’t renewed memberships because of this.

BadnMean

Juniors
If the NRL and the clubs are legit they should be working with the Warriors after their sacrifice. The Warriors CEO has even gone to this length to make it more financially viable for the other clubs to make this happen.

I love the idea of Magic round going there. Maybe they could name it "thank you Warriors round" and make it a festival of footy.

Be totally unfair to Brisbane to have their away game moved away from it's traditional home of Suncorp Friday night. They'd only get home games at Suncorp then.

This Year?

Immortal
Be totally unfair to Brisbane to have their away game moved away from it's traditional home of Suncorp Friday night. They'd only get home games at Suncorp then.
Suncorp against the Broncos is pretty much a home game for the Warriors anyway. Maybe the Broncos could use it as an opportunity to buck the trend and increase their NZ supporter base. I'd be very interested to see the NZ based of support of each club. They have been starved of live footy.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah true..

Although if “too many” home games are transferred to other regions I can see why people get annoyed.

Particularly Dragons fans. Doesn’t take much to annoy dragons fans but I can appreciate their annoyance when multiple home games are taken away...

Their home games are split between two regions as it is, a big distance from each other.. then when one or two further games can be taken away to the likes of Homebush, the SCG (for Anzac Day), then a regional area or two...

If you’re in the Illawarra you may be seeing potentially only 5 home games in your area a year from the full season allocation of 13..

I haven’t been a dragons member for ages and I know friends of mine who haven’t renewed memberships because of this.

People get annoyed but if done right can be a good thing for the club

some11

Referee
Manly have taken a home game to brisbane for the last decade.

It's nothing new and I doubt they will trade that particular game with NZ, any game they play away will get more than they do at brookvale.

nick87

Coach
They shouldnt have to pay a damn cent for this.
No club or group of players have sacrificed more for the NRL over this pandemic than the Warriors

Assuming everything is back to BAU in 2022, they shouldnt have to leave the country for the regular season. They should play every damn game at home. It would bascially be 12 clubs sacrificing a single home game on the schedule to say thank you for their sacrifice.
It wouldnt settle the debt the NRL owes the Warriors and their players, but it's the least the code can do.

Figure out an agreement that "home" teams playing in NZ get 25% of the gate revenue, and away we go. Help NZRL get back on the front foot, say thank you to that club, and celebrate the code and culture of NZ every week

Give them magic weekend, let them host the test... just lay it all on the line. It is the least we can do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They shouldnt have to pay a damn cent for this.
No club or group of players have sacrificed more for the NRL over this pandemic than the Warriors

Assuming everything is back to BAU in 2022, they shouldnt have to leave the country for the regular season. They should play every damn game at home. It would bascially be 12 clubs sacrificing a single home game on the schedule to say thank you for their sacrifice.
It wouldnt settle the debt the NRL owes the Warriors and their players, but it's the least the code can do.

Figure out an agreement that "home" teams playing in NZ get 25% of the gate revenue, and away we go. Help NZRL get back on the front foot, say thank you to that club, and celebrate the code and culture of NZ every week

agreed! Also if clubs can get some coin for playing games in other nz cities even better. 20 Friday 6pm games in nz should be the target, but they aren’t a Sydney club so don’t suppose vlandys gives a sht.