What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors chasing Wigan half.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors have reportedly widened their search for a Shaun Johnson replacement to the northern hemisphere.

As the club looks to secure a long-term replacement for the shock off-season departure of Johnson, Nine.com.au are reporting the Auckland-based club lead a pack of six NRL franchises chasing the signature of Wigan halfback George Williams.

Nine.com.au have reported Williams, who is widely regarded as one of the best players running around in Super League, has a desire to test himself in the NRL.

The 24-year-old is under contract with Wigan until the end of the 2020 season but Nine.com.au has reported he may be free to leave Wigan if an NRL club is willing to pay a hefty transfer fee.

Williams, who has already played 10 tests for England, has previously been linked to NRL clubs since making his making his debut as an 18-year-old for Wigan in 2013.

Nine.com.au reported the Canberra Raiders, who are also in the market for a playmaker, made inquiries about Williams recently but were put off by the transfer fee.

A bulky playmaker, Williams is a solid defender with crafty short kicking skills and a strong running game.

The Warriors have previously had a handful of big money signings from Wigan that did not live up to the hype.

The most notable being former Wigan fullback Sam Tomkins.
He terminated his lucrative contract with the Warriors one year early and returned home to rejoin Wigan after a largely underwhelming stint in Auckland.

Wigan duo Andy Platt and Dennis Betts were signed to join the Warriors in their inaugural season and both underperformed compared to their large pay packets.

Fellow Wigan signings Dean Bell and Frano Botica were more of a success.
The Warriors did manage to negotiate an early release from Wigan early last season for centre Anthony Gelling.

He played just a handful of games before return to England to play for the Widnes Vikings in 2019.

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/110870268/warriors-reportedly-chasing-wigans-george-williams-to-replace-shaun-johnson

Matua

Bench
You'd think the Warriors would avoid Wigan players (who aren't Kiwis) like the plague.

At least they're actually looking (assuming the report is correct) for a half and not just pretending all is A-OK..

WellsNZ

Juniors
Would rather they focus on developing our young fellahs, tbh

I'd be more inclined to agree with this if the one established half wasn't already pretty old himself and the young guys weren't so completely unproven.

Ideal scenario, he comes in, actually performs, means the young guys aren't thrown right into the fire so quickly, then when the sun sets on Green he's the experienced half next to one of the younger guys.

JJ

Immortal
Intwresting! Don't know much about him but good they're looking to sort an obvious problem

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Putting the lazy media rhetoric aside about oooh Tomkins didn't work out, why would the Warriors go to that well again...

Glad they're considering all avenues. Don't know much about this guy but if he is a piss poor defender, that sounds alarm bells. You'd expect Keighran would at least be a good defender as a former/recent centre.

Iafeta

Referee
I don’t believe they are chasing him. Once bitten twice shy on Super League backs. Plus the old Wigan connection with Dean Bell is now long gone.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Preferred Canberra.

So you will get to see what you are missing out on.

All on the rookies now.

He was not kiwi anyway, not one of the lads.

Preferred Canberra.

So you will get to see what you are missing out on.

All on the rookies now.

He was not kiwi anyway, not one of the lads.

We dodged a bullet thank god. We are doing fine we have no reason to rush on anything. I also see most of the Wigan fans are happy to see the back of him. Tomkins pt 2? No ESL back really has set the NRL on fire in years.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We shouldve chased Christchurches Burnside High student Mikaele Ravalawa who I think is debuting this week for the Dragons out on the wing.

We shouldve chased Christchurches Burnside High student Mikaele Ravalawa who I think is debuting this week for the Dragons out on the wing.

Zero our stocks are fine in the backs in case you havent noticed we have a bloody strong top 29 atm. Another front rower or seasoned half is all we need to be the business. I feel confident atm but Green going down is my biggest concern.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Zero our stocks are fine in the backs in case you havent noticed we have a bloody strong top 29 atm. Another front rower or seasoned half is all we need to be the business. I feel confident atm but Green going down is my biggest concern.
Read the first post of this thread. The REASON of this thread. Is about...
A. The Warriors having HEAPS of backs
or
B. The Warriors chasing looking for a back (half).

Guess which one of those is this thread about. Lol I just found one of your posts on this thread which has you asking about a player.

Why didnt you post your post above to the original post? Mate...

Better yet tell the WARRIORS lol. They're the ones looking. The same guys that picked out Keighran (what do you think of him? Good?) are the same ones looking.

Read the first post of this thread. The REASON of this thread. Is about...
A. The Warriors having HEAPS of backs
or
B. The Warriors chasing looking for a back (half).

Guess which one of those is this thread about. Lol I just found one of your posts on this thread which has you asking about a player.

Why didnt you post your post above to the original post? Mate...

Better yet tell the WARRIORS lol. They're the ones looking. The same guys that picked out Keighran (what do you think of him? Good?) are the same ones looking.

I was just pointing out your comment that the Warriors should of signed this or that guy when we dont need to at this point of time. We have been building and recruiting fine since O Sullivan and Smith got here. Every position has 2 to 3 guys waiting in the wings to take it from them. I just would like to see another option in our halves albeit a seasoned one that can steer the ship like Green or a freak like Dylan Brown. A big prop too would be handy due to our lean mobile options.

We are going good I think we need to stop saying stuff like Warriors should of done this or that when they have the balance right in most areas.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I was just pointing out your comment that the Warriors should of signed this or that guy when we dont need to at this point of time. We have been building and recruiting fine since O Sullivan and Smith got here. Every position has 2 to 3 guys waiting in the wings to take it from them. I just would like to see another option in our halves albeit a seasoned one that can steer the ship like Gree or a freak like Dylan Brown. A big prop too would be handy due to our lean mobile options.

We are going good I think we need to stop saying stuff like Warriors should of done this or that when they have the balance right in most areas.
Fair enough. Our scout O'Sullivan must be good based on what everyone here says about him. I don't know any other scout to compare him to.

I would like to see us get guys from right here in NZ before we look overseas. We might not have much depth in the country halves so I understand us looking elsewhere. That Nanai-Seturo that we were chasing and we lost out to union is going crap over at the Chiefs so far.

Latest posts