What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors EOS awards.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are out of the NRL's top eight playoff hunt, with one round to go. That means it's time to leap in with some awards and brick bats.

Player of the Year​

Not a lot of candidates, in fact, there's only one for my money - prop Addin Fonua-Blake.

He's up with the best in the NRL, the only Warrior you could say that about in 2021. Fonua-Blake is among the best recruits in the club's rocky history, and his elevation to captaincy mid-season is a sign the Warriors will move mountains to keep this man mountain. The redoubtable Tohu Harris was as good as ever before injury struck.

Toughest Question​

Is coach Nathan Brown the man for the job?

On one hand, and despite another season of horrible results, the Warriors showed a lot of spirit. On the other hand, their energy was often misplaced.

But there have been so many owners, chief executives, captains, players and coaches (a staggering 13 in 27 seasons, including seven in the last 10) that these never-ending changes have to come to an end. Brown, in concert with recruiter Peter O'Sullivan, needs to be given a lengthy chance.

Biggest Mystery​

David Fusitua, one of the highest-paid players at the club, simply disappeared somewhere along the line, and even the subject seemed to be off limits. What is this - rugby union?

Super signing(s)​

Reece Walsh is the best signing the Warriors have ever made. Luring him away from Brisbane was a masterstroke. If he stays and reaches his potential, the brilliant teenager can change the course of Warriors history. Matt Lodge was a very good get.

d up as the year went on. Opponents were on to him. It seems as though he will be the target of constant transfer rumours, a distraction for both Walsh and the team. The pressure is on coach Brown to unlock the genius.

Surprise hit​

Forward Josh Curran. He won't die wondering. Curran has a great attitude, runs tough lines - just the sort of hard nut the Warriors need. There had been promising glimpses of Curran but he well and truly exceeded expectations in 2021.

Biggest embarrassment​

Discarded Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i's stunning form for Parramatta.

So you let Papali'i go, and got the likes of Jack Murchie and Kane Evans in? Huh?

The Warriors should have known what the homegrown Papali'i was capable of and brought it out of him.

Sadly, it's an iconic Warriors story, representing a quarter century of mismanagement.

Most memorable performance (1)​

Take your pick from some of Reece Walsh's early games. His long range try against the Cowboys, fending off an amazing chase from young forward Heilum Luki, was a season highlight.

Most memorable performance (2)​

Kane Evans is hard to miss, as the NRL's tallest forward.

He already had people scratching their heads after writing an expletive on a wrist band early in the season. But Evans was only warming up.

Against the Sharks, he was put on report three times and sin-binned twice. His offences included some old-style punching, after getting riled up by serial Sharks dickhead Will Chambers.

Memorable doesn't always mean good.

Biggest shock (1)​

I can't believe they re-signed Shaun Johnson, especially after all the palaver the club went through moving him on.

Then again, Manchester United have re-signed the 36-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo, which sounds like a crazy adrenaline rush.

On his day, Johnson was brilliant to watch and a match winner. But he had too many off days, off moments, and became THE problem.

It was time to build a new club.

Not only was he as inconsistent as ever at the Sharks, but injuries look like becoming an increasing problem.

Yes, he'll give the Warriors some much-needed identity, and maybe profile.

But it's a stupid signing.

Biggest shock (2)​

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck quitting camp during the season to kick-start his rugby career. I know there were legitimate reasons put forward, but it was his stellar reputation of a great professional who stuck it out at a wobbly club, and the country's All Blacks obsession, which spared RTS any scrutiny over this.

Or to put it another way - would Simon Mannering have scarpered like that?

A captain doesn't leave the ship - it was very disappointing.

But apart from that, RTS was one of the great Warriors.

If some sort of 'All-Time Greatest' vote was held right now, I think he'd make the top three with Stacey Jones and Mannering.

Jones would be my No 1, and Mannering second. For now, RTS drops right down my list because of that mid-season departure. Hopefully time will heal the wound.

Biggest Non-Shock​

Sydney league heavyweight Phil Gould joined the Warriors last year, promising a life dedicated to turning the Auckland club into giants. Okay, there were reasons why he quit early this year, joining rival club Canterbury. But I knew Gould wouldn't last at the Warriors, and he didn't.

Best performance
Seriously, nothing really stands out as ground-breaking. It was another year of ifs, buts and maybes.

Worst loss​

Getting pipped in the last seconds against the Sea Eagles, who were still battlers awaiting Tom Trbojevic's return at that point. A victory in that early season game would have given the Warriors a jump on the other mid-table contenders.

Most overrated​

Ben Murdoch-Masila has his moments, but not enough of them. A more energetic Big Ben would be very interesting though.

Lamb to the slaughter​

Naive wing Ed Kosi got dumped in the deep end.

Surprise slider​

Jack Murchie. I thought the forward was set to make an impact. He didn't.

Jury Out​

Too many players to mention.

Most touching moment​

Ken Maumalo's tearful farewell mid-season, as he headed to the Tigers. The big wing had slipped from his best standards, but at his best he was a beast and a homegrown Warriors through and through. His disappointing form at the Tigers justified the decision though.

Saddest decision​

Allowing Peta Hiku to go. He's the sort of creative footballer I love to watch, with a unique touch, and a local product as well. Players like (my own personal favourite) Jazz Tevaga and Hiku give the Warriors an identity. It's very sad to see Hiku go, again.

Special mention​

Keeping the club afloat across the ditch during pandemic times must be a minefield. The club has done a fantastic job, and while ultimately it has been a disappointing season, there is serious promise in that 2022 squad.

Statistic of the Year​

The Warriors will end the year with just one victory over a top eight club. That's the real story of 2021 (and many seasons previously). Whether they had scraped into the top eight or not, the Warriors are nowhere near good enough. Hurling a load of promising signings together does not a club make. Over to you Nathan Brown.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/fo...-challenging-year/RKIDYTSQM4IX4IPZII3HXEW6HY/

JJ

Immortal
I'd forgotten about BMM - have I missed something, is he injured, or is he just not really a very good/consistent NRL player - he seemed to be changing that narrative early, but fell away

Generally I am in agreement with Rattue... now I am worried

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't agree that Walsh is our best signing ever. Not by a long shot. Most talented? Potentially? Most impact on games? No. Most long-term value? Very likely not. So I'm not sure what metric Rattue is working on. Getting lost in the hype, I imagine. Or playing to a crowd.

JJ

Immortal
I don't agree that Walsh is our best signing ever. Not by a long shot. Most talented? Potentially? Most impact on games? No. Most long-term value? Very likely not. So I'm not sure what metric Rattue is working on. Getting lost in the hype, I imagine. Or playing to a crowd.
yeah, I said generally - that is well over the top hyperbole... he's potentially a great signing, but everything is potential at the moment...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Fair enough. I actually disagree with a lot of what he said.

And I find it hilarious his favourite player is Jazz. Exactly the sort of player Rattue would rubbish if the general masses liked him - but because there's a feeling he's a liability, old Rats goes the other way.

I have to admit, I stopped to think about his RTS angle and emotion aside, it's not a bad point. We were in the contest with 3 weeks to go...would he have made a difference? I know we started playing a bit more cohesively when he left, but I guess there's a sense of what if now.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That's probably a good thread (probably already been done) - top Warriors signings. Walsh wouldn't be in my top 10, although I do appreciate he's got the potential to be something great.

It's a real bloody shame Walsh hasn't been able to play at home, either. He would be a massive drawcard, especially for kids to come along and watch him play. My two little nephews have been Reece Walsh for 2 weeks in lockdown, kicking goals and sidestepping the spa pool.

Meth

Staff member
I'd forgotten about BMM - have I missed something, is he injured, or is he just not really a very good/consistent NRL player - he seemed to be changing that narrative early, but fell away

Injured, at least at the end

Meth

Staff member
But there have been so many owners, chief executives, captains, players and coaches (a staggering 13 in 27 seasons, including seven in the last 10) that these never-ending changes have to come to an end. Brown, in concert with recruiter Peter O'Sullivan, needs to be given a lengthy chance.

100% agree

JJ

Immortal
Injured, at least at the end
fair enough - he did have some good games, which had me thinking something had changed, but imo jury still out - he and Evans are a bit like the Matt Elliott signing - hyped as something well beyond what their NRL careers suggested

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Totally disagree with his take on the johnson signing
So do I. It's classic Rattue. He's always had a thing against SJ, because he knows the public like him. If the public completely turned the other way, Rattue would find a way to back him. Mark Reason does the same thing.

Matua

Bench

Generally I am in agreement with Rattue... now I am worried
I liked that post thinking it was Rich's thoughts then realised it was Ratpoo. I feel physically sick.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Disagree on Johnson amd he missed an important element of RTS leaving- the $200K or so it left in the club coffers. RTS’s early departure probably put the club in a better overall position for next year, to a greater degree that it hurt any premiership hopes this year of which TBH we really didn’t have any.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
BMM took about a month to get going, then seemed to have about a 6/7 weeks where he looked really good on an edge.
I think a combination of age, niggles to Ben, and playing in different positions meant that he started to struggle from there. We all knew he would struggle with the consistent, week in week our grind of NRL footy, but I think if we can manage him better next year he can be a 15-25 minute weapon for us causing havoc breaking tackles, bending the line and offloading

LeagueNut

First Grade
The club did a Zoom call with about a dozen members last week, Tohu Harris and BMM were there to answer a range of questions. One of the questions was about the toughest game of the season and BMM says "any game where I was playing at prop" or something like that. He's obviously not a fan of the grunt work.

Also I reckon Papalii's form for the Eels is more embarrassing for him than for us. Shows how much he was cruising while he was here.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Also I reckon Papalii's form for the Eels is more embarrassing for him than for us. Shows how much he was cruising while he was here.
I sort of agree with this. It's an easy narrative to blame us but is Brad Arthur a super coach? It was more probably that Papali'i (and so many others) cruise in their home town and around their mates if they're getting picked, then move and have to bar up in a new environment.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I sort of agree with this. It's an easy narrative to blame us but is Brad Arthur a super coach? It was more probably that Papali'i (and so many others) cruise in their home town and around their mates if they're getting picked, then move and have to bar up in a new environment.
Ironically part of why Melbourne especially are so successful- nobody there is in their local comfort zone. Even the few players who come from the Victorian system would feel like they have to prove themselves to the big names from the League states.

Meth

Staff member

I'm sure he'll be embarrassed playing finals football and being regarded as the buy of the season. The victor is typically the one with the spoils.

Reactions: JJ