What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors ISP CUP 2018

Blair

Coach
Warned you about that red stuff.

Yep, I danced with the devil.

I recall something my brother said years ago, 'there's nothing like a Lion Red hangover'. The seven year old chemicals wouldn't have aged for the better, either.

Still. We're in the finals, both grades! Can't wait.

Cold Roses

Juniors
https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/08/30/nswrl.com.au-to-live-stream-isp-elimination-final/

NSWRL.com.au to Live Stream ISP Elimination Final
NSWRL.com.au's live stream rounds out coverage on the first day of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW Finals Series, with Channel Nine to broadcast the earlier Qualifying Final fixture between Penrith Panthers and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, from 1pm.

On Sunday (2 September) FOX League will showcase the second Elimination Final, as Western Suburbs Magpies and Wyong Roos square off in the bid to keep their 2018 season alive from 11.45am.

The second Qualifying Final, to be contested between St George-Illawarra Dragons and Newtown Jets, will be shown on a delayed telecast (9.30pm)

"The interest in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW competition has gone to another level in 2018, and we're proud to be able to live stream the Mounties-Warriors clash this weekend," said Yvette Downey, NSWRL Head of Competitions.

"The sides have met twice this season, with only four points to split them on both occasions. It's sure to be another exciting match-up on Saturday."

The Mounties v Warriors Elimination Final will be simulcast at the Intrust Super Premiership NSW Facebook page.

FINALS WEEK ONE | Intrust Super Premiership NSW
All games to be played at Panthers Stadium

Saturday, 1 September

Penrith v Canterbury-Bankstown (Qualifying Final)1.10pm (Live on Channel Nine)

Mounties v Warriors (Elimination Final)
5.15pm (NSWRL.com.au Live Stream)

Sunday, 2 September

Western Suburbs v Wyong (Elimination Final)11.45am (Live on FOX League)

St George Illawarra v Newtown (Qualifying Final)
1.45pm (FOX League delayed telecast, 9.30pm)

Blair

Coach
I'm not 100% after last night's Corona but, because our Mexican night didn't also involve Tequila, I'm good to go today.

I'm driving down soon. Can't wait.

Blair

Coach
Obvious heartbreak yesterday. The key to defeat was the sin-binning of Sammy Cook just before half-time. Has anyone seen a replay? I thought it was unjustified. It happened right in front of me as I'd gone down behind the sticks to give the Mounties some mouth (their two tries at that point were lucky, and against the run of play).

Anyway, Sammy knocked-on when we were in a great position to score (at 6-10 down). A Mountie did the smart-arse hair-rub thing, Sammy retaliated with a shove, then all players joined in.

The Mountie was warned, Sammy was binned. Then Mounties scored out-wide twice, once before the break and soon after, to make it 20-6.

But, we fought back brilliantly and looked to be rolling over the top of them. 20-20, with 6 mins to go. Mounties looked beaten. I recall a 'seven tackle set' to them, then a silly penalty on their 40 metre line (bloody Warriors!), and they went up field for the inevitable field goal.

We never got within range for the remainder of the match, but still tried. Geez, I was proud. We formed a scrum with about 40 seconds left and inside our own half, we threw it around desperately but to no avail. It was a shattered team at the end. All players prostrate on the turf and the old cliche, they'd left nothing out there.

Warriors deserved to win, no doubt. There were 13 Warriors fans there (I counted! A big shout out to Vera, Tino - Pat Sipley's dad - and Tof Sipley himself) plus a Bulldog fan who was cheering for us. Stunned was the word. These Warriors reserves never fail to end their season with high drama.

The coach, John Teina, said afterwards, 'we couldn't pull off the miracle win two weeks in a row' and he was right.

For me, the Warriors first grade finals appearance has tempered this disappointment in being pipped in a semi-final thriller (as they were last year) but I tell you what, this was the best Warriors game I went to this year. There is simply nothing like seeing the Warriors rolling over the top of their opposition to bring home a famous finals win, well, it was almost famous!

Mounties 21 Warriors 20.

See you all again in 2019 at the NSW Cup. The pleasure is all ours.

upload_2018-9-2_18-47-51.jpeg

upload_2018-9-2_18-48-11.jpeg

upload_2018-9-2_18-48-54.jpeg

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Blair, R&S and any others who have attended ISP cup matches this season.

How do you rate John Teina? He has copped a bit of stick. Deserved?

Bloody shame it is not televised regularly..

Blair

Coach

I don't know too much about the coaching of this team. What I do know is Teina took us to the finals, which is pretty good as it's a bloody tough comp. Unlike last year, he didn't have both Lino and Ata playing together (and Lino for much of it), who just carve it up in this grade.

Also (and I noticed it last Saturday) he didn't have the rampaging Tof and big Albert, who are so powerful through the middle. Those two were well-known to barge over the line for tries in reserves.

Both Teina and Henry last year had a side who played with great spirit and mental toughness, together with the obvious talent on show. Wiki running the sideline is a plus too, the players obviously respect him, even when he told our winger (number 5) to stop being so 'bloody sookie' for being subbed-off in the second-half as it's 'all about the team'.

I think Teina mostly copped the stick for that unexplainable five-game losing streak late in the season which threatened to turf the side short of the finals.

Cold Roses

Juniors
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/09/02/heartbreaking-end-to-finals-campaign/

Heartbreaking end to finals campaign

A Tyler Cornish field goal has seen Mounties advance to Week Two of the finals in a 21-20 thriller over the Warriors.

Brendan O’Hagan returned after being sidelined with a shoulder injury last week and was always a threat around the ball, but the stand-out no doubt was Liam Knight who led Mounties pack with brute force and will tonight.

Ayshford earned a penalty and the Warriors entered good field position, before another penalty gave them a chance at the opening two points of the game, but Chanel Harris-Tavita missed to the left.

It would be a while before the Warriors would get back on the attack, and the next time they did, O’Hagan turned that opportunity upside down for them. Sam Cook put a grubber in on tackle two only for O’Hagan to attack the ball, find open space and run away for a 90 metre try to give Mounties the first points.

Tony Satini was sent to the sin bin for a professional foul which led to the Warriors converting field position into points for the first time of the game. One tackle after the sin bin, Joseph Vuna ran a perfect line and charged onto a Karl Lawton pass through a hole to lock the scores up after Harris-Tavita adjusted his kicking radar and slotted it through the posts from the exact same spot as before.

Still with only 12 men on the field, Mounties took control after the try and were rewarded with the lead in the ninth minute of the sin bin. Liam Knight ran a courageous line in between defenders, broke through the line and crashed over underneath the posts.

O’Hagan looked to have scored his second when he drifted across-field, showed the ball and burst through a hole, but he was called back for obstruction. A fight broke out at the other end of the field, and Warriors’ James Bell got marched for 10 minutes.

It would be Mounties to take advantage of the 12-man defensive line as they kicked themselves into good field position off the previous penalty, and Sebastian Kris finished a brilliantly executed left-to-right shift to score in the corner.

Whatever was said at half-time in the Mounties sheds had an impact on Mitchell Cahalane when he charged onto a ball, broke free of one defender which isolated him one-on-one with Harris-Tavita, and he got past him to increase their lead to 20-6.

The Warriors hit back with an unconventional try with 25 minutes remaining when Mounties brought down Matiu Love-Henry in the corner, but the defenders slid off and he was deemed alive, and therefore bounced his way over the line to score in the corner.

Vuna was the next man to trouble the scorekeeper, recording his second try of the night after Sam Cook threw the miracle pass as he was falling to the ground, and suddenly the Warriors were back in the contest, only trailing by six.

Hayze Perham sprinkled his brilliance on the game to knock the score back to 20-18 when, with players in motion, finished off a right-to-left shift by slicing through the defence and scoring out wide.

Harris-Tavita had been having a rusty night with the boot, and it was his job to kick the goal to lock the scores up. Cool, calm and collected were three adjectives to describe the young half as he struck the ball perfectly and it sailed through the posts with ease.

With less than five minutes remaining Mounties found themselves in good field position off the back of a six-again call, and Tyler Cornish slotted a field goal – Mounties’ first for the year – to nudge their lead out to one point.

The Warriors scrambled to find a point in the last four minutes, but Mounties applied enough pressure in the dying moments of the game and their resilience has them advance to Week Two of the finals.

Teina is new to this level. He had the cattle but should of finished way way higher up the ladder. Like Blair said Tof, Albert are a loss and add in Ofa Ogden and Dan Palavi thats 4 strong forwards missing. James Bell was enormous all year.
If Teina is retained then he needs to go deep in the finals otherwise someone else will be bought in