What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors issue Brown ultimatum.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors coach Nathan Brown is under pressure to win half of the club’s remaining games to ensure his future after a crunch meeting with club powerbrokers.

Phil Rothfield revealed on NRL 360 that while Brown’s job is safe for the rest of the year, he needs to start winning to ensure his future beyond 2022.

“Nathan Brown is a really interesting story. He had a meeting with Cameron George and their owner Mark Robinson two weeks ago,” Rothfield said on NRL 360.
“They told me this week. They have said to him, Nathan it is not going great. You are not under pressure at the moment, but we need to see you winning some football games. You have until the end of the year to show us that you are the right guy to move forward with.

“I would think a pass mark would be winning 50 per cent of their remaining games.
“They were very open about this and they want Browny to succeed. They are happy with what he has done under the most difficult circumstances.

“The team away from home. The team away from family, but you can’t use that excuse forever.”

However, Paul Kent believes the Warriors’ relocation to Redcliffe due to Covid is not the disadvantage it is perceived to be.
“I don’t think it is the inconvenience that everybody claims it is,” Kent said.

“They are getting rent assistance from the NRL. They are living in houses. They are not living in hotel rooms.

“They are all together. They are away from extended family, but certainly their immediate family in almost every case is with them.

“You only have to look at Covid and all the teams last year and the year before that were based in Queensland all won the title.

“It brought the groups together as far as players go.”
Brent Read believes if the Warriors need to win half of their remaining games, then Brown might as well start packing his bags after they won just four of their first 12 matches in 2022.

“I tell you what if they expect him to win half of his games he will be out of a job at the end of the year,” Read said.

“They ain’t winning half their games. No way in the world.”

Rothfield clarified that the 50 per cent wins mark was his estimation, but the Warriors want to see some pride and commitment back in the jersey.
“I said half the games and I got a feel that was the case,” Rothfield said.

“They want to see a bit of respectability back about their football side.”

Kent pointed out that the Warriors are not the feared team they once were and need to get their edge back.

“No one is scared of them that’s the thing about the Warriors,” Kent said.

“There was a time where they were always an erratic team, but you had to be on to beat them and you knew you were going to come off the field with bruises.

“This Warriors team, not really.”
“Is it the coach’s fault? Is it the players’ fault? Is it the management’s fault?” Rothfield asked.

“I think it probably D, all of the above,” Kent replied.

Benek

Juniors
Even if the 50% figure came out of thin air, it's probably not that far off. If we win half the remaining games we still probably miss out on the top 8. That's a fail for me, given Brown has now had a few years to build his roster and implement his strategies.

At the very least, even if we don't get the wins, Brown needs to prove he can get them playing consistently the right way. Needs to show some kind of improvement and light at the end of the tunnel. Needs to get guys like SJ and Walsh firing.

I wouldn't mind our win record if we played hard and smart and just lost to better teams. But we are playing soft and dumb and losing to the bottom of the ladder. If that doesn't turn around soon, what value has Brown shown us in 3 years?

I'm glad he has some kind of ultimatum. I want the team playing better in the next month before that Mt Smart homecoming. They need to be worth going to watch by then, or the diehard fans who haven't bailed yet will be gone and the club is all but dead.

It's more than just this year's win/loss record on the line. It's literally whether the club survives the next few years. We can't keep playing like wooden spooners and expect to resurrect NZ league after Covid.

JJ

Immortal
If they win half their remaining games he should almost be coach of the year....

The way things are at the moment they could lose them all...

They could go in as slight favourites against the Tigpies and Dogs, and 50/50 with Titans... that's about it, I dread to think what a health Panthers or Storm team will do to them (well, we already have something on the latter)

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Ignore the win loss figure.

This is the first sensible comment from Ownership in a while. Acknowledges the team isn't performing well, outlines that they want Brown to be the man to lead us in 2023 but will revisit the situation at the end of the year. It should eliminate the week to week will he or wont be sacked like Madge at the Tigers.

At least we know at the end of the year everything is on the table. And Robinson clearly has the cash to pay him out if need be.

Remains games = 12
Needed 6 wins.
Draw
Manly (origin players out)
Sharks (origin players backing up)
Panthers
Tigers (origin players backing up haha)
Bye
Eels (origin players backing up)
Raiders
Storm
Rabbits
Dogs
Cowboys
Panthers
Titans.

6 wins are in there if they showed up.
I suspect 3-4.

Tongue

Juniors
I did the "Auto Fill' on the Ladder Predictor on NRL.com, and made the odd adjustment.

I have us finishing a generous 11th.

JJ

Immortal
Remains games = 12
Needed 6 wins.
Draw
Manly (origin players out)
Sharks (origin players backing up)
Panthers
Tigers (origin players backing up haha)
Bye
Eels (origin players backing up)
Raiders
Storm
Rabbits
Dogs
Cowboys
Panthers
Titans.

6 wins are in there if they showed up.
I suspect 3-4.
3-4? On current form?

you had a few already? Suggestion of 6 leads me to suspect you like strong whiskey

Matua

Bench
Someone needs to issue the "club's power brokers" with an ultimatum as well. Be even marginally competent, or bugger off.

Brookywarrior

Juniors
If we want to improve we have to get the best coach we can buy, look at the cowboys no big signings and they are killing it. Forget throwing money at players let’s just get a coach!

The Rosco

Bench
As a WT supporter, I feel your pain.
At least the media doesn't have a vendetta against you. The WT review and coach situation has 25X the media scrutiny than yours.
Rothfield is Rothfield. He's like your drunk yobbo party uncle. He thinks highly of himself enough that he plucks a figure out of his arse, then proceeds to use that as the benchmark to decide an NRL coach's future.
It's never just the coach. Players, and their attitudes is the bigger piece of the puzzle. WT have changed a whole bunch of coaches and still are mostly shit.
Anyway, hope it works out for both of us.
Cheers boys !

Latest posts