What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors likely to be based in Brisbane in 2022.

Rich102

Staff member
A return home next season for the Warriors is looking increasingly unlikely with pre-season set to begin in November. But a new home base has emerged for the New Zealand club, reports Michael Burgess.

The Brisbane suburb of Redcliffe is firming as the Warriors' likely base in 2022.

A final decision is still a few weeks away, but the Herald understands that Redcliffe has been prominent in the discussions with the NRL.

It's believed to be one of the preferred options of the governing body.

The Warriors would prefer to return to New Zealand, but that is all but off the table, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the border and transtasman bubble.

With pre-season set to begin in November, it is impossible to see how Auckland could be in the equation, at least for the first half of next season.

Of the possible Australian alternatives, Brisbane, and especially Redcliffe, shines like a beacon.

The Warriors already have a relationship with the Queensland Cup team, with their reserve grade players turning out for the Dolphins over the past two seasons.

Their NRL game against the Bulldogs there two weeks ago, was a big success and illustrated the potential.

The stadium is an ideal size (11,500 capacity), complete with a thriving leagues club. It would offer a permanent structure, after the Warriors have utilised temporary facilities and council grounds over the last two seasons.

And Brisbane would be ideal. The NRL are close to confirming an expansion team in the Queensland capital for 2023 (the Dolphins, Jets or Firehawks) and it would suit them to stage as many games as possible there next season.

From a Warriors perspective, there is a sizeable expatriate Kiwi population and promising commercial opportunities, as well as an international airport.

The club made the most of their Central Coast base over the last two seasons and received great community support.

But the relatively small population meant commercial options were limited, along with the potential crowd. The area also has entrenched support for the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles and Knights.

There aren't many other options.

Sydney is a saturated market with nine NRL clubs and has ongoing Covid issues. Newcastle is a parochial one-club city and the likes of Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie are too small.

In Queensland, Townsville is remote (and Cowboys country) while the Sunshine Coast has, like Gosford, a modest population. The Gold Coast has some advantages, but the Titans are unlikely to countenance that.

Warriors coach Nathan Brown indicated on Wednesday that a decision wasn't too far away.

"There are a number of possibilities at the moment [but] everything is speculation," said Brown. "We would like to know sooner rather than later, because there is a lot of people's lives at stake, with where they are going to be living, with families and kids. Hopefully they will have a decision in a week or two weeks."

Brown said stability is a key factor, after two relocations this season and the squad split across Auckland and New South Wales for pre-season.

"There are number of things on the table," said Brown. "Our preferred option would be Auckland but obviously [it depends on how] things go with the borders; at the moment we can't even go home.

"There are many things to take into account, and what is safest for the guys and their families so we can have some stability. [The] last thing we want is families moving around. That is certainly not ideal."

Ahead of Friday's game with Canberra, Brown said the team had recovered well from Sunday's physical clash with the Broncos.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is being rested after a knock to his foot, while Josh Curran has to pass concussion protocols. Kodi Nikorima, who missed the Brisbane game for personal reasons, will be used at dummy half.

Brown is confident the Warriors can lift – despite the short turnaround – but wary of the rising Raiders.

"Their past six weeks of footy have been very strong," said Brown. "They have got themselves somewhere back to where they were in previous seasons."

Benek

Juniors
Will the Warriors ever play in NZ again? Nobody thought it would go into a third season did they. I'm really missing watching live games at a packed Mt Smart.

How does the NRL reimburse the Warriors for loss of all the revenue for no home games? How does the club have any money?

Blair

Coach
Welcome, second Brisbane club...
That's what I was thinking. One thing though, we should've at least snuck home for a game this year, like the Wellington Pheonix. We planned to, of course, but left it too late. Like the Pheonix we should've gone hard, gone early, in June/July.

Reactions: Izz

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Kayla Cullen gave this news away a couple of days ago when she signed her new netball deal over here and said shaun will probably be in Brisbane

Really hurtful for the fans and the clubs bottom line even though I’m sure Vlandys will come to the party with help

I looked at the side last week and realised they’ve built something squad wise where being away from Auckland isn’t really an issue. Walsh, Montoya, DWZ, Aitken, Lodge, AFB, Egan, Curran, Murchie, Evans etc just off the top of my head make a fair portion of the squad with no attachment to Auckland

Watched a doco on the Cleveland browns last night and now I think about it, the parallels are amazing. Teams that promised success but got recruitment all wrong and have been perennial battlers. They have passionate fans that stay the course, the Browns actually moved to another city before coming back 3-4 years later

What I can say is you’ll appreciate them more when they are back. Through the Northern Eagles debacle I supported the Warriors more than them, and when Manly finally came back the success was amplified when they started climbing the ladder

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
that kinda sucks. Basically the Central Coast/Redcliffe Warriors now.

This could be a significant blow for Rugby League in NZ long term

jaseg

Juniors
Watched a doco on the Cleveland browns last night and now I think about it, the parallels are amazing. Teams that promised success but got recruitment all wrong and have been perennial battlers. They have passionate fans that stay the course, the Browns actually moved to another city before coming back 3-4 years later

What I can say is you’ll appreciate them more when they are back. Through the Northern Eagles debacle I supported the Warriors more than them, and when Manly finally came back the success was amplified when they started climbing the ladder

Yeah and ffs, I support them both. It's been some leeeean years.

Still, the Browns were f**king good last year and look to be again this year, and seemingly have nailed down key positions organisationally - head coach, general manager, quarterback, some of the key coaching staff (OL coach, offensive coordinator, special teams coach) and a damn good squad. If the Warriors are shifting it that direction it would be nice - POS in the Andrew Berry-ish recruitment role, a good squad and a quality playmaker (Shaun?). Coaching remains a question, but they're filling holes in the roster at least. The other thing is the Browns leaned into analytics in a HUGE way, and only started having success when they specifically recruited a GM and HC who bought in fully. That sort of strategy and alignment... have we seen any clue of that at the Warriors? I suspect my extremely cautious optimism is just from POS being a good recruiter.

Browns relocation was a little different of course, essentially the owner ran out of money, the city were slow to give him a new stadium when he demanded, so he f**ked off to Baltimore (because lol American sports 'franchises'). They only kept the history of the team (name, logos, records) and a promise of a return in a few years as an expansion team (meanwhile the NFL nerfed the expansion team assets cutting the margin for error way down) after the city actually sued the NFL & Modell. Amusingly, Art Modell (the old Browns/Ravens owner) went broke again in Baltimore less than a decade later and had to sell the team anyway. And while he otherwise would've been in the pro football hall of fame, he's been thus far denied because of this whole ordeal. I don't really know how you go broke running an NFL team, those f**king things are licenses to print money. But then, this is the guy who fired two of the most legendary coaches in NFL history while running the Browns (Paul Brown and Bill Belichick).

Funny you say about about the Northern Eagles - I was a Bears fan, and it was precisely when they became the Northern Eagles that I started to support the Warriors. Had no attachment to the half-Manly team.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yeah and ffs, I support them both. It's been some leeeean years.

Still, the Browns were f**king good last year and look to be again this year, and seemingly have nailed down key positions organisationally - head coach, general manager, quarterback, some of the key coaching staff (OL coach, offensive coordinator, special teams coach) and a damn good squad. If the Warriors are shifting it that direction it would be nice - POS in the Andrew Berry-ish recruitment role, a good squad and a quality playmaker (Shaun?). Coaching remains a question, but they're filling holes in the roster at least. The other thing is the Browns leaned into analytics in a HUGE way, and only started having success when they specifically recruited a GM and HC who bought in fully. That sort of strategy and alignment... have we seen any clue of that at the Warriors? I suspect my extremely cautious optimism is just from POS being a good recruiter.

Browns relocation was a little different of course, essentially the owner ran out of money, the city were slow to give him a new stadium when he demanded, so he f**ked off to Baltimore (because lol American sports 'franchises'). They only kept the history of the team (name, logos, records) and a promise of a return in a few years as an expansion team (meanwhile the NFL nerfed the expansion team assets cutting the margin for error way down) after the city actually sued the NFL & Modell. Amusingly, Art Modell (the old Browns/Ravens owner) went broke again in Baltimore less than a decade later and had to sell the team anyway. And while he otherwise would've been in the pro football hall of fame, he's been thus far denied because of this whole ordeal. I don't really know how you go broke running an NFL team, those f**king things are licenses to print money. But then, this is the guy who fired two of the most legendary coaches in NFL history while running the Browns (Paul Brown and Bill Belichick).

Funny you say about about the Northern Eagles - I was a Bears fan, and it was precisely when they became the Northern Eagles that I started to support the Warriors. Had no attachment to the half-Manly team.

You have been through hell with the Browns and Warriors !! This season could be a big one for the Browns. The doco I was watching was the dark side of football, really good series on vice channel

Yeah those Eagles days were never right on both sides, was always destined to fail with the history they had

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Shaun thought he was going home, well he did, but back Auckland, Redcliffe QLD.

Does that make the whole team eligible for QLD.

Brad Thorn, Tony Carrol......mmmm

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Kayla Cullen gave this news away a couple of days ago when she signed her new netball deal over here and said shaun will probably be in Brisbane

Really hurtful for the fans and the clubs bottom line even though I’m sure Vlandys will come to the party with help

I looked at the side last week and realised they’ve built something squad wise where being away from Auckland isn’t really an issue. Walsh, Montoya, DWZ, Aitken, Lodge, AFB, Egan, Curran, Murchie, Evans etc just off the top of my head make a fair portion of the squad with no attachment to Auckland

I actually think this might have contributed to being able to sign those guys. I could well be wrong, but the idea that they were signing to stay in Australia might've made it less daunting. Or was that the case at all? Did they do pre-season in NZ?

Blair

Coach
Remember the drumming at Mt Smart? It just came into my head now. We haven't heard them for a whle, unless I've been dreaming and they had a reprise in Gosford?

waipiro

Juniors
Might mean Nikorima decides to stick around as it sounded like Auckland was going to be an issue for him?

JJ

Immortal
yeah, that's not great - sadly they are going to have to make a decision and settle for one base - and clearly they'll be Auckland/NZ in name only, but hopefully at some point they can travel for some 'home' games

nswarrior

Juniors
I don’t believe it for a second. Yes pre season maybe based in Brisbane but we will be playing in Auckland next year - if not at the start of the season surely by middle of next year

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don’t believe it for a second. Yes pre season maybe based in Brisbane but we will be playing in Auckland next year - if not at the start of the season surely by middle of next year
The trouble is (from my understanding, and sup/jase etc will have much more idea than me) that we're very likely going to have outbreaks again beyond this latest one. If we get more outbreaks, that rules inbound travel out. It just can't happen, as far as I can see.

Meth

Staff member
I actually think this might have contributed to being able to sign those guys. I could well be wrong, but the idea that they were signing to stay in Australia might've made it less daunting. Or was that the case at all? Did they do pre-season in NZ?

Seriously, with the amount of time we spend in Australia in a normal season, what's the big deal? It might actually help our performance to be based in Australia and fly back to NZ for home games (rather than fly to Australia for away games)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The trouble is (from my understanding, and sup/jase etc will have much more idea than me) that we're very likely going to have outbreaks again beyond this latest one. If we get more outbreaks, that rules inbound travel out. It just can't happen, as far as I can see.
Much of that will depend if the qld of NZ governments stick with a zero covid strategy once vaccination targets are met. We know NSW and Vic have already abandoned that idea, so the fact of Covid in the community in the southern states is something we’re gonna have to live with now.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Much of that will depend if the qld of NZ governments stick with a zero covid strategy once vaccination targets are met. We know NSW and Vic have already abandoned that idea, so the fact of Covid in the community in the southern states is something we’re gonna have to live with now.
It feels like that's (elimination) a strategy that Ardern is going to stick fat with.