What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors may play every game at home in 2021.

Last Week

Bench
Warriors CEO Cameron George will follow up on a report that the NRL are looking at giving the club 24 home games next season.

It was mentioned in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday that as a way of saying thank you to the Warriors for the sacrifices they’ve made this year, an option being floated is letting the team stay in New Zealand for the entire 2021 season.

George told Stuff that he hadn’t spoken to the NRL about this proposal, but obviously liked the sound of it.

“It would be interesting to see the NRL and other clubs welcoming us having more home games,” George said.

“I haven’t had any discussions with the NRL about that, but if that was a possibility, I’d be driving as hard as I can to make sure we get a look at that.”

The Warriors playing any games in New Zealand next year would be subject to a trans-Tasman bubble going up, but if Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’Landys pushed for the Warriors to be given 24 home games next season, then there would be a good chance of it happening.

The other clubs may publicly say they’d support this initiative, but privately could be against giving the Warriors any advantage.

Wins will be harder to come by for the Warriors once for more players go home next week.

From next week the Warriors will be looking for five loan players to bring in, replacing the four going home after the game against the Roosters on Saturday, plus Leivaha Pulu who’s already back in New Zealand.

However, it could be that the club can’t get any loan players in as the other 15 teams hold onto their players.

While coaches are saying to the media that they’re keen to help out the Warriors, privately they’re not interested in letting players go.

“It’s becoming extremely difficult to get loan players, because clubs are starting to protect their playing group, going towards the finals,” George said.

“They’re starting to take a precautionary measure, as opposed to letting go and play.

“We’re hopeful. I spoke to Peter O’Sullivan (Warriors recruitment manager) and he’s trying to find people, but it’s getting difficult now.

Speaking after beating the Warriors 46-10 on Sunday, Sharks coach John Morris said he hoped NRL clubs would loan players to the Warriors, but then added he wouldn’t himself.

“Most coaches have said publicly that they’d be happy to support it,” Morris said.

“The problem is, clubs are getting decimated with injuries themselves.

“I would gladly look at lending a player, but we’re the same, we struggle to have 24-25 players on the field at training. It’s hard to have 13 on 13 at training, which most sides like to do.”

Giving how under resourced the Warriors will soon be in terms of players, there could be more heavy defeats for the team over the second half of the season.

However, George said Todd Payten’s position as interim head coach isn’t under threat.

“Todd under the circumstances, along with Stacey (Jones), Tony (Iro) and Justin (Morgan) are doing a fantastic job over there,” he said.

“Let’s not forget the staff are going through exactly the same challenges as the players, in terms of sacrifices and being away from their families.

“Our staff are doing an amazing job and after our four players come home, we’ve got 21-22 players left.”

For the Warriors’ fans, it’s not easy watching them struggle every week, but it’s a case of getting through this season and being ready for 2021.

“Our message is we know where we’re going,” George said

“We’re going through a lot of challenges, but so are a lot of people in this world at the moment.

“We’ve got to stay the course, support each other and when we come out the other end, we’ve got to make sure the support is ongoing and we go into our next phase, which is recruiting and appointing of staff and players and then bounce into next year.

“Maybe we’re going to have 24 games here, which would be fantastic.”

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...iors-all-home-games-next-season-to-say-thanks

Last Week

Bench
I think that this would be a really good move by the game and the clubs who support it. This is a great sign of the clubs supporting each other.

Some issues, some clubs will be travelling to NZ twice, which is unfair to them. I think the clubs who do that, should be volunteers.

Also, 24 games in the one market could saturate the customers with too much. It would be a good opportunity to take games on the road around NZ.

It might be worth a magic weekend at Eden Park also.

I also think that their ANZAC Day game against Melbourne should stay in Melbourne. They can travel once.

moffla

Bench
They should get extra home games but not a whole season worth. Also I have no doubt their players will actually cherish the odd away game, it's a big part of bonding etc.

Perhaps one away game per month with the odd home game being taken elsewhere in NZ?

HOME
AWAY
HOME
HOME etc etc...

Also at the risk of backlash I do think Storm should also be offered an extra home game or two at AAMI

ACTPanthers

Bench
They should get extra home games but not a whole season worth. Also I have no doubt their players will actually cherish the odd away game, it's a big part of bonding etc.

Perhaps one away game per month with the odd home game being taken elsewhere in NZ?

HOME
AWAY
HOME
HOME etc etc...

Also at the risk of backlash I do think Storm should also be offered an extra home game or two at AAMI

As much as I can't stand your club (no offence to you) this is fair and should definitely be considered.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If they play a team twice, I think they should do the normal, come to Australia and play in NZ. If once, then give them the extra home game in NZ. But make it that it's not in auckland, but elsewhere. As a thanks to NZ. Otherwise your also depriving kiwi's living in Australia.

Diesel

Referee
This is fair considering what the team has sacrificed this year. I do think the post by @TheDalek079 has a lot of merit. Tamworth took in the Warriors in a very testing time.

AJB1102

First Grade
Yep, they can have as many home games as they want in 2021, so long as they are all the 6pm Friday timeslot.

Why not? Its 8pm in NZ. Not FTA in Oz obviously but its good for fans in NZ and we know the other Friday slot is property of the Broncs.

azza29

Juniors
Sounds like a great idea, especially if they can take a few games to the regions as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade

HOME
AWAY
HOME
HOME etc etc...

Compared to what the Warriors have sacrificed the Storm‘s hardships are nothing, and if we start offering recompense to everybody that’s been inconvenienced by covid-19 then a bunch of clubs and people are going to come out requesting that their misfortunes are made right, then it’ll become hard to offer any of them a thank you for their sacrifice without either giving all of them one or it looking like the NRL is playing favourites.

For example, if we’re going to give back to the Storm for them having to move out of Vic, then why not give back the home games that the Knights and Raiders lost because they couldn’t play in their home cities, why not give back to the Sydney clubs that couldn’t play at their home grounds, why not compensate the players and officials who’ve had it tough because of the NRL’s bio-security rules, etc, etc.

The Warriors deserve something for their sacrifice, but everybody else should only get something if it’s purely symbolic.

Latest posts