What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors team to play the cowboys

Robster

Bench
1 change, dezolt comes in the starting line up at hooker replacing Latu, Jones goes to 5/8 :shock: and Lance plays 5/8, Tookey is the travling reserve.

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Vinnie Anderson
4. Clinton Toopi
5. Tony Martin
6. Stacey Jones
7. Lance Hohiaia
8. Jerry Seuseu
9. Paul Dezolt
10. Richard Villasanti
11. Sione Faumuina
12. Epalahame Lauaki
13. Awen Guttenbiel (c)

Bench:

Wairangi Koopu
Iafeta Paleaasina
Vince Mellars
Karl Te Mata
Mark Tookey

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm pretty sure Villa will plead guilty and miss suspension due to a good prior record but isn't Jerry likely to cop a suspension? I guess if he does it will move Tooks into the side.
Dezolt better be up to the job, probably a good time for him to debut as he'll be out to prove a point against his old club.

ozbash

Referee
Jones goes to 5/8 and Lance plays 5/8,

going to be a busy place :p

i like the way the props were rotated last weekend.removed the weakness when both villa and jerry left the field together.

Iafeta

Referee
Yes Ozbash, agree on the rotation. Superb seeing Jerry last longer in his first stint, still being darn effective at it.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Warriors vs Cowboys:

Overall: Played 15, Warriors 10, Cowboys 5

In away games: Played 7, Warriors 4, Cowboys 3

The half-time score will play an important part too - we have never lost to the Cowboys after leading at half-time, and we have never beaten the Cowboys after trailing at half-time!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
ozbash said:
Jones goes to 5/8 and Lance plays 5/8,

going to be a busy place :p

i like the way the props were rotated last weekend.removed the weakness when both villa and jerry left the field together.
I agree, but it only happenned in the second half. In the first half Jerry and Villa went off and Feka didn't come on for 10 minutes or so and during that time our go forward evaporated a bit. In the second half we rotated well.

Iafeta

Referee
Agree Space, I thought though Ando was struck for numbers after Tevita's early injury.

And I must say that Karl Te Mata and Wairangi Koopu were stinging in defence around that period.

The forwards were for mine terrific and well oiled for once.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
Agree Space, I thought though Ando was struck for numbers after Tevita's early injury.

And I must say that Karl Te Mata and Wairangi Koopu were stinging in defence around that period.

The forwards were for mine terrific and well oiled for once.
Agreed about Koopu and Te Mata's defence, I think we would have leaked more points in that period if it wasn't for them. I definitely thing Te Mta has a place in the side, but not as a prop, I think he is more of a Tallis/Guttenbeil type player, running in up hard one out from the ruck against slightly smaller defenders and acting as a defensive workhorse. Koopu is suited to a similar role but with his extra pace I'd use him a little wider and have him running on to Jones or Hohaia. He should be pretty much interchangeable with Vinnie Anderson.
Leave crashing it up the middle against the big boys to Jerry, Villa, Feka and Tookey.

Iafeta

Referee
Manu Vatuvei is on tour also. Ozbash eluded to that Paul Dezolt is still listed in reserve grade for the Cowboys (not too sure how that all works!)

Just a vague idea that may happen - Koopu into hooker, Vatuvei onto the bench. 1% chance?

I'd personally stick with the wily play of Dezolt.

budz

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Manu Vatuvei is on tour also. Ozbash eluded to that Paul Dezolt is still listed in reserve grade for the Cowboys (not too sure how that all works!)

Just a vague idea that may happen - Koopu into hooker, Vatuvei onto the bench. 1% chance?

I saw that Dezolt got listed for the Cowboys reserve team too. Does anyone know if Dezolt is actually travelling with the Warriors? I was thinking maybe PJ might be making a return?
I bloody hope so!

Tigertread

Juniors
budz said:
Iafeta said:

I saw that Dezolt got listed for the Cowboys reserve team too. Does anyone know if Dezolt is actually travelling with the Warriors? I was thinking maybe PJ might be making a return?
I bloody hope so!
That side on the Cowboys site is the 2003 Young Guns team.

Tigertread

Juniors
Dezolt returns with point to prove
WHEN Paul Dezolt landed in New Zealand two months ago he made a point of circling round nine on the National Rugby League draw.
Having been let go by the North Queensland Cowboys at the end of last season but then granted a lifeline by the New Zealand Warriors several months later, Dezolt had a burning desire to be in the top grade for the clash against his former club.
At Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night that goal will become a reality as the 25-year-old returns home to the North to take on his old club in his debut NRL match for the Warriors.
"I marked this game out," Dezolt said. "I always wanted to come home and play and get a go."
Dezolt's window of opportunity opened when hooker Tevita Latu suffered a dislocated shoulder during the Warriors' 20-14 win over Melbourne last Sunday.
Latu's injury continued a cursed run for players wearing the Warriors' No. 9 jersey which had already claimed PJ Marsh (neck) and Monty Betham (broken arm) in recent times.
But if ever a player was going to jump at the chance to wear the jersey it was Dezolt, who earlier this year signed a temporary contract with the Warriors which expires next month.
"They're calling me the voodoo man," he joked. "There's an opportunity here for another month of first grade and hopefully it'll put me back in the picture for the NRL."
Although Dezolt had played just two official games for the Countie Manukau Jets in New Zealand's Bartercard Cup competition before receiving his opportunity earlier this week, he said a recent meeting with Warriors coach Daniel Anderson had been encouraging.
Dezolt admitted before the meeting he had been feeling the pressure with time running out to impress for a further contract.
"He (Anderson) said if things (contract negotiations) don't work out with PJ (Marsh) then he wants me here next year," Dezolt said.
"I think PJ will be right and I hope he is. If he is then I'll go back to Brisbane and the club (Brisbane Easts) will try to help me continue on somewhere else."
Saturday night's clash will not only be special for Dezolt but also for talented Warriors half Stacey Jones, who will become the first player to play 200 first grade games for the Warriors.
Townsville bulletin

AliN

Live Update Team
Yes it'll be great to see him go up against his old club, just like Campo..

a bit eerie how Latu dislocated his shoulder for Dezolt to get what he wanted!

LeagueNut

First Grade
I've just seen the NRL.com match preview ... and they give this line-up:

Webb
Meli
V Anderson
Toopi
Martin
Jones
Hohaia
Seuseu
L Anderson :-s
Villasanti
Lauaki
Guttenbeil
Faumuina

Koopu
Paleaaesina
Te Mata
Mellars

:?:

budz

Juniors
I got that too from the NRL site. I think they are talking out of their ass again.