What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I have no idea why you keep saying past 2 seasons. We had 1 bad season after making the grand final, this season could go either way.

shiznit

Coach
okay then... how about we say a shit season and a half....

you finished 14th last season... and halfway through this season your sitting in 13th.

in that 1.5 seasons you have had 3 first grade coaches... you also managed to break a club record of losing 11 straight games in that period.

that's a pretty poor season and a half...

Fast Eddie

First Grade
No doubt. And I do have to admit it was an all time low for the Warriors to lose to the Eels by 40 or whatever that was :lol:

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And come on, f**king Souths... they've been diabolical to ordinary for all but 2 of the last 15 years and suddenly Rusty think he's qualified to tell players that other clubs are a bad option? Stones in glass houses...

shiznit

Coach
No doubt. And I do have to admit it was an all time low for the Warriors to lose to the Eels by 40 or whatever that was :lol:
my point was that he's entitled to his opinion... you obviously dont agree with it... but there are certainly some very valid reasons for him to advise Tomkins not to come to the Warriors outside of the fact that he's had a stink with Eric Watson.

i find it very funny that as soon as Crowe says something negative about the Warriors automatically some Warriors fans start pointing out that he has some vendetta against them.

when in reality i've heard him say some more positive than negative things about the Warriors in the past.

Diesel

Referee
I can't see Tomkins announcing any signing (if it happens) until Adter the SL GF, Wigan are favourites to win the comp and announcing he's leaving by signing mid-season could really screw the chances of a title

Iafeta

Referee
okay then... how about we say a shit season and a half....

you finished 14th last season... and halfway through this season your sitting in 13th.

in that 1.5 seasons you have had 3 first grade coaches... you also managed to break a club record of losing 11 straight games in that period.

that's a pretty poor season and a half...

That's Souffs-like.. except extend that for about 30 years. Can you imagine Eric Watson rocking up to the North of England and in any way shape or form plant a seed of doubt in Sam Burgess about going to Souffs? Not a chance. That'd be highly unprofessional and probably more importantly, self righteous and immature. Can you imagine the media hoo-haa if Eric Watson did that? It'd be a P.R disaster.

shiznit

Coach
That's Souffs-like.. except extend that for about 30 years. Can you imagine Eric Watson rocking up to the North of England and in any way shape or form plant a seed of doubt in Sam Burgess about going to Souffs? Not a chance. That'd be highly unprofessional and probably more importantly, self righteous and immature. Can you imagine the media hoo-haa if Eric Watson did that? It'd be a P.R disaster.

no... i couldn't imagine Eric Watson doing that... Owen Glenn on the other hand... that would be right down his alley.

Eric Watson wouldn't rock up to the north of england... he would rock up to the Greek Islands on a private jet... probably paid for by the Burgess brothers grandparents life savings he fleeced off them.

that would be more Eric Watson's style...:roll:

Iafeta

Referee
lol - really, that's a clown post, bro. That's all you've got on the matter?

When has Owen Glenn made a comment to a neutral player about not going to another club? If you think that's down his alley and can provide any history of him actually doing that, that'd be a neat trick. If you can't, jog on.

shiznit

Coach
I think you won't find many people who would argue about my opinion of Watson.

And Owen Glenn labelling SBW a "show pony" despite having never met or dealt with him before was self righteous and immature.

hitman82

Bench
This thread f**king sucks.

More interestingly:
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/407372/Mother-of-all-deals-for-Sam-Tomkins

Sam Tomkins denies a deal has been done with the New Zealand Warriors

“All I can say is that I’m playing for Wigan and haven’t signed for anyone else. I’m being honest.”

But your mother recently went on holiday to Auckland?

“Yes, she did.”

Reports suggested the Warriors funded her trip? “I’ll bring you a bank statement, I paid for that.”

But the Warriors say they did? “My mum has robbed me then.”

Cue laughter all round.

Sam Tomkins, the Super League’s reigning Man of Steel, is holding court at England’s training base at Loughborough University.

Steve McNamara’s men face the Exiles tonight but all the talk centres on Tomkins’ future. Rumours linking the Wigan full-back with a move to New Zealand continue to grow. He looks certain to be off to the Auckland-based NRL franchise after the World Cup later this year. He denies it all.

“It seems like everyone knows where I’m going apart from me,” said Tomkins. “I’m not signing for Sale, Bath or Manchester United… shall we just write a list of people I’m not signing for?

“But I’ve said it since I was 19 or 20 years old – one day I could see myself playing rugby union or in the NRL.

“We play the game for around 12 years on average and if you’ve got a few things you want to do then you haven’t got a massive window of time to do it in.”

The 24-year-old signed a five-year deal with Wigan in November 2011 but has an option to consider offers from NRL clubs.

Sydney Roosters and Gold Coast Titans are also in the market for Tomkins but it appears the Warriors are leading the battle to bring him Down Under, offering a lucrative two-year deal which could be worth up to £1million.

That his close friend and former Wigan team-mate Thomas Leuluai plays for the Warriors would smooth the transition.

“The Warriors have won their past three games,” said Tomkins, with telling enthusiasm. “Auckland is a nice part of the world and I went there with England in 2010. Tommy has got a really nice place there and he enjoys it.”

With Tomkins seemingly destined to move away at the end of the season, helping the national side to lift the World Cup would mark the perfect send-off. “Winning the World Cup would comfortably mean more than any club trophy,” he said. “I’m an England player first and a Wigan player second.”

hitman82

Bench
i think a telling part of that article was the fact that he knows that the Warriors have won 3 in a row.

i would doubt if many ESL players would normally keep tabs on results like that unless they had serious reasons for it.

Yeah man, there are some pretty dry / coy comments from Tomkins also.

I also think, after all the disappointment our club has experienced lately, it'd be stupid of our management to allow such strong rumours to fly about if they knew 100% there was no chance of us securing Tomkins. Surely they would come out and say it's not happening.

Iafeta

Referee
i think a telling part of that article was the fact that he knows that the Warriors have won 3 in a row.

i would doubt if many ESL players would normally keep tabs on results like that unless they had serious reasons for it.

That, that he thinks Auckland is a nice place, he knows Leuluai has a sweet pad, and when he names where he's not going, he doesn't include the Warriors in that list.

I also agree with the post that if it wasn't happening I dare say the Warriors would be out denying the rumour, which they're not. This one seems to have too much heat not to get a flat denial if its not likely.

One Warrior

Bench
According to the below Herald article we are on verge of announcing Sam Tomkin's signing, they say he told his team mates last week and we are just giving Wigan time to make the announcement on their own terms.

League: Warriors hope they've struck gold with Sam
By Michael Burgess
10:29 AM Sunday Jun 16, 2013 ✩Save

British superstar Sam Tomkins looks set to be at Mt Smart next season. The Herald on Sunday understands that the Wigan fullback told team-mates of his decision to come to Auckland last week.

While there is still room for a last-minute change of heart, the deal between the two clubs has essentially been done, with Wigan requesting time to make the announcement on their own terms. It is a huge coup for the Warriors but also carries some risk.

Given the big money required to secure Tomkins' services, he is in the marquee category. The Warriors have made few such signings over their history, with mixed results. The best have usually been those with proven NRL pedigrees.

Steve Price, Ruben Wiki and Brent Tate were great successes and Feleti Mateo is close to achieving that recognition. The club paid megabucks for Wigan duo Andy Platt and Dennis Betts in the early days and neither came close to justifying the price tag (Platt in particular was a flop), while Greg Alexander was unable to replicate his Penrith form.

Among other big money signings, Matthew Ridge left a mixed legacy, John Kirwan tried hard but was in the twilight of his career, while other former All Blacks such as Mark Carter and Marc Ellis were poor pieces of business.

Though fullbacks have become increasingly important in the modern game, it is hard to make a case that the No 1s win premierships for their clubs (though Billy Slater and Greg Inglis might argue with that). Take a look back over the triumphant NRL teams of the last decade and you will find that nothing has really changed since the days of Peter Sterling and Ray Price, Steve Mortimer and Steve Folkes and Allan Langer and Glenn Lazarus. The key components for an title are the halves and a good pack of forwards, usually with a dynamite hooker and dominating props.

While recruitment is always complicated by who is actually available, the Warriors' decision to sign a promising half (Chad Townsend) and a superstar fullback (Tomkins) is questionable; many would argue that the opposite (an established, quality six or seven and a young outside back/fullback with potential) would be more logical.

Complicating the picture is the presence of both Kevin Locke and Glen Fisiiahi. Both are contracted beyond this season, both are coming into some of the best form of their careers and neither will fancy playing in the Vulcans.

Locke has always been an extremely promising talent. He has had periods of wonderful play in his career, punctuated by episodes of inconsistency. He hasn't been helped by off-field issues but looks to have matured this year. The 24-year-old looks ready to take off and, with hard work, could approach the level achieved by the likes of Slater, Ben Barba and Brett Stewart.

Fisiiahi, as he showed last week against Manly, seems to have finally got to grips with the physical demands and intensity required in the NRL. When this new attitude is combined with his undoubted attacking weapon, the former junior is a considerable prospect.

The other intriguing question over the Tomkins deal is how will he cope with the NRL. The England fullback is undoubtedly a special talent, with a prodigious try-scoring record, but the competition in Australasia is significantly tougher than Super League.

He is recognised as a fantastic support runner, which will be welcomed by the Mt Smart faithful. Too often over the last few seasons players like Mateo, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino poke their head through the defensive line, only to find no one charging at their hip and the half chance goes unrewarded. That's the strength of someone like Slater, who is constantly backing up his forwards looking for the offload.

However Tomkins has been targeted under the high ball, especially in international football, and that will only continue in the NRL.

Some British imports have found great success in the NRL in recent years, though they have been mainly forwards, like James Graham at the Bulldogs and the Burgess troupe at the Rabbitohs. Backs from the Northern Hemisphere have traditionally found it more difficult to adjust to the demands of league in the Southern Hemisphere, even going back to the 1980s when accomplished players like Shaun Edwards, Andy Currier and Garry Schofield couldn't always recapture their British form.

In some ways the omens around Tomkins are good, as the Warriors have a history of striking gold with imported fullbacks - Brett Webb, Wade McKinnon and Ivan Cleary spring to mind - and maybe Tomkins will continue that legacy.

• Meanwhile, Stacey Jones was confirmed yesterday as the new Junior Warriors coach for 2014. As reported in the Weekend Herald, Jones will take over from current NYC John Ackland, who has chosen not to seek a contract extension. The 37-year-old Jones made a club record 261 appearances and also holds the record for most points (674) during his 12 seasons with the club. Jones has signed a two-year deal to the end of the 2015 season.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10890864

jaseg

Juniors
I simply cannot understand any mixed reactions to Tomkins.

1) The dude is clearly a superstar. Young with perhaps even more potential to be tapped... and he's performed not just at Super League level but in internationals against both New Zealand & Australia, and not always at fullback. Which leads me to my next point...

2) ...He's not just a fullback. And neither is Kevin Locke. Both of them could comfortably play in the halves - and it looks like one of them certainly will, to accomodate both. Fish looks like he might just be the winger we've been crying out for, with a little more development. We can fit all 3 in the side, easily. Tomkins is a fine ballplayer with great speed, and Locke - well, we've all seen enough of Locke at second receiver to know he can play that role, surely? It's where he often chimes in when playing his best footy.

3) We have all this room under the cap, why not use it? What's the downside - we don't sign a couple more average players on overs? Or we just don't spend the money at all? It's not like the club is skint, and there aren't many good players left on the market. There really isn't much of a downside, and the potential upside is massive.. Tomkins has the kind of ability to be the best signing we've ever made.

Last edited:

Cold Roses

Juniors
I simply cannot understand any mixed reactions to Tomkins.

1) The dude is clearly a superstar. Young with perhaps even more potential to be tapped... and he's performed not just at Super League level but in internationals against both New Zealand & Australia, and not always at fullback. Which leads me to my next point...

2) ...He's not just a fullback. And neither is Kevin Locke. Both of them could comfortably play in the halves - and it looks like one of them certainly will, to accomodate both. Fish looks like he might just be the winger we've been crying out for, with a little more development. We can fit all 3 in the side, easily. Tomkins is a fine ballplayer with great speed, and Locke - well, we've all seen enough of Locke at second receiver to know he can play that role, surely? It's where he often chimes in when playing his best footy.

3) We have all this room under the cap, why not use it? What's the downside - we don't sign a couple more average players on overs? Or we just don't spend the money at all? It's not like the club is skint, and there aren't many good players left on the market. There really isn't much of a downside, and the potential upside is massive.. Tomkins has the kind of ability to be the best signing we've ever made.

All of this. I agree.

As for Fish, I can't help thinking that even though he's listed as been over the 90kg mark, that he still looks a bit lean. A few more kgs of muscle may go a long way towards giving him a bit of confidence in the contact area of the game, kick returns etc. Apart from his last up start, when he ran strongly, he still looks quite tentative when running the ball back and tackling.

One Warrior

Bench
Not final confirmation,but it is getting closer.

Warriors seal deal to sign Tomkins

David Long

Heading east: Sam Tomkins. Photo: Getty Images
AUCKLAND: The Warriors have got their man.

Two separate sources have told Fairfax Media the deal to bring Sam Tomkins to the club next season is done.

The Warriors tried to tick every box to lure the biggest name in the Super League to New Zealand, and it seems they have been successful .

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah would not comment about Tomkins, but it is understood part of the agreement with his release from Wigan is they play a part in the announcement. Initially other clubs were interested in bringing Tomkins to the NRL, most notably the Titans, who flew their then chief executive David May to England this year to meet Tomkins's representatives.

But as time went on the Warriors emerged as favourites.

One of England's greatest players, Martin Offiah, said Tomkins would bring his winning attitude to the Warriors.

''Apart from his skills and physical attributes, Sam is a winner,'' Offiah said. ''He is a person who wants to test himself and, like most players, he wants to test himself in the best league in the world. He has won most things, the Man of Steel, Super League titles and the Challenge Cup. He will get to test himself in the World Cup soon, too.

''If it is true and he does move on into the NRL, then I wish him all the best. I had a couple of stints playing in Australia during my time, for St George and Easts, and it was a fantastic lifestyle.''

Offiah, who scored 501 tries during his 14-year career, is an ambassador for the World Cup in England later this year.

He rubbished suggestions that Tomkins was too small to make it in the NRL.

''People like Benji Marshall aren't that big,'' he said. ''The days are gone where rugby league was a slow, tough game.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...seal-deal-to-sign-tomkins-20130622-2opac.html

Good move I think, even if getting him did involve a bidding war with Aussie clubs.
Brits will always find New Zealand a bit like home, in terms of the climate, geography etc. In fact they may be more comfortable in the cold and damp of NZ than in the heat of Aussie.