What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors try to lure Dylan Brown

Rich102

Staff member
New Zealand Warriors and talent scout Peter O'Sullivan are facing scrutiny over an attempt to lure Parramatta youngster Dylan Brown across the Tasman on a $3 million deal that could be deemed a breach of the NRL's anti-tampering rules.

The Sydney Morning Herald can reveal the Warriors made an offer to the rookie playmaker which, if accepted, would have put the teenager on the richest contract ever for a player yet to feature in a single game of first grade.

The Warriors' bid to sign Brown, however, is likely to get the attention of the NRL given he is contracted to the Eels until the end of the 2020 season.

The Herald has obtained a copy of the contract, which proposes to make Brown a Warrior until the end of the 2025 season. The base pay for seasons 2020 to 2025 adds up to $NZ2.8m ($A2.69m), plus $NZ60,000 ($A57,651) across those six seasons in relocation expenses.

The contract states the Warriors would accommodate Brown in 2019 as a member of their full-time squad if he gained a release from Parramatta.

"$NZ to be advised should Parramatta release Dylan if he signs with the Warriors for season 2020 subject to salary cap levels," the offer states.

It's understood Brown is currently on a two-year development contract at Parramatta worth about $60,000 per season. The blue and golds have no intention of releasing Brown and are keen to extend his tenure.

Under the NRL's anti-tampering rules, clubs can only begin talks with players from other teams on November 1 the year before their contract expires.
If the NRL deems the Warriors broke those rules, it could result in sanctions for the club and O'Sullivan, whose name was on the bottom of the contract offer. But Warriors chief executive Cameron George on Sunday said they had not deliberately breached the anti-tampering regulations.

"We approached [Brown] on the understanding he was off contract at the end of 2019, which we're entitled to do," George said.

"It was later cleared up [by his agent] that he had a variation [in his Parramatta contract] that committed him until 2020 and that was it." O'Sullivan was contacted for comment.

The Warriors deal, sent to Brown's manager in November, shows how desperate the club is to find a long-term replacement for Kiwis halfback Shaun Johnson. Johnson was released from the final year of his contract to join Cronulla when relations soured with the Warriors after they indicated he wasn't in their long-term plans. The multi-million dollar deal also indicates how highly Brown, who is still just 18 years old, is rated.

Brown's stocks are on the rise given he is expected to partner Mitchell Moses in the halves for Parramatta this season after Corey Norman was released from the final year of his contract to join St George Illawarra.

The Brown offer is $300,000 for 2020, $350,000 for 2021, $450,000 in 2022, $500,000 for 2023, $550,000 for 2024 and peaks at $650,000 for 2025. A special condition attached to the deal proposes that a "sizeable amount" be front loaded to allow the teenager to purchase a house on his return to Auckland.

Parramatta officials are aware of the Warriors offer and are furious about the attempt to sign their most promising star. There is no suggestion of any inappropriate behaviour from Brown or his management team.

O'Sullivan, the talent spotter credited with unearthing a slew of superstars including Greg Inglis, Israel Folau and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, is back in the game after being permitted by the NRL to join the Warriors last year following his deregistration in 2016.

He was deregistered while at Sydney Roosters following an investigation into a breach of the league's betting rules and his financial dealings with notorious punter Eddie Hayson.

Hayson, who deposited more than $700,000 in O'Sullivan's TAB account over a number of years, denied he ever gained any financial benefit from their friendship. Asked at a press conference in September 2016 whether O'Sullivan had ever provided him with inside information, Hayson said: "Um, I don't believe so. I've known Peter for a long time so I want to be very accurate in what I say. No, I don't believe he has."

O'Sullivan was at Melbourne Storm during that club's salary cap scandal which exploded in 2010 but escaped sanction.

Former NRL chief executive David Gallop said only legal advice prevented the governing body from recommending O'Sullivan be sacked from his subsequent job with the Roosters. The NRL's former salary cap auditor Ian Schubert uncovered evidence that O'Sullivan failed to disclose third-party payments in player contracts. He was also found to have "deliberately concealed" the real amount paid to at least two players.

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/110662153/warriors-under-nrl-scrutiny-over-bid-to-sign-parramattas-dylan-brown

jaseg

Juniors
Media trying to make this about O'Sullivan because of his past, but it's really about Brown's dodgy manager Gavin Orr.

Media trying to make this about O'Sullivan because of his past, but it's really about Brown's dodgy manager Gavin Orr.
Exactly, how can an offer get that far without a manager saying hold on, we can't negotiate till Nov 2019.

Secondly, I don't know the kid or what he plays like, but that's a gamble of a contract.

Delboy

First Grade
Don’t be naive about O’Sullivan, what could go wrong with him involved in recruiting and negotiations. Would anyone in Oz be surprised at reports like this, nope

jaseg

Juniors
Don’t be naive about O’Sullivan, what could go wrong with him involved in recruiting and negotiations. Would anyone in Oz be surprised at reports like this, nope

Well there are apparently emails from Orr telling O'Sullivan he had the right to negotiate so....

Ummm. Well, we weren’t prepared to offer the test halfback a mill, but instead want an ungraded rookie $600k per annum. And to do so have got themselves implicated in a faux pas?

Never change Warriors, never change. The stupidity brings the lols

Iafeta your obvious trolling on our management amazes me. Did Cameron f**k your missus or something?

Warriors are not at fault here. Everything was above board until Orr f**ked up. Like someone mentioned already the media trying to look for a story going by O'Sullivan's dodgy past. Orr thought Brown was signed till 2019 then realized his mistake. As soon as that was known we pulled out or stop negotiating. In saying that I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him after Nov 1 still. I mean Paramatta are 5-6 years away from a premiership they have gone that far backwards why on earth would this kid want to stay in that sunken ship??

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
My wife has class and taste firstly, so no.

It’s not that we are 0 and 24 at all. It’s not that we constantly make laughable decisions. Whether it’s Ruben Wiki signing on a beer coaster, Henry and Robbie Paul being exchanged for Andy Platt and his bulldogs, or offering a rookie an extraordinarily overpriced contract after pleading to the media that all contracts had to be value for money and Johnson’s wasn’t (although we will make an exception for Blair), the Warriors are great at bringing the lols.

No but of course Cameron George and Brian Smith in some people’s eyes are the ultimate heroes of the club. Some of their decisions though after the honeymoon period to me aren’t good ones. And that’s why I’m critical. Much as I would offer a positive thought on a positive decision.

Forget the poaching element. It’s the money they want to offer this chap.

Big Marn

Juniors
i like the fact we had the balls to go for a young up and comer and not pay overs for someone on the downward spiral. If the guy is as good as the Warriors think he is, a year of first grade might have put him out of our price range next year once Politis etc saw him on tv. It didnt come off this time round but the whole idea of getting a decent scout was to find another RTS wasnt it?

Iafeta

Referee
We also have a CEO who says we aren’t going to pay overs and we need to spend wisely to maximise the cap.

Except in this case.

And the Blair case.

My wife has class and taste firstly, so no.

It’s not that we are 0 and 24 at all. It’s not that we constantly make laughable decisions. Whether it’s Ruben Wiki signing on a beer coaster, Henry and Robbie Paul being exchanged for Andy Platt and his bulldogs, or offering a rookie an extraordinarily overpriced contract after pleading to the media that all contracts had to be value for money and Johnson’s wasn’t (although we will make an exception for Blair), the Warriors are great at bringing the lols.

No but of course Cameron George and Brian Smith in some people’s eyes are the ultimate heroes of the club. Some of their decisions though after the honeymoon period to me aren’t good ones. And that’s why I’m critical. Much as I would offer a positive thought on a positive decision.

Forget the poaching element. It’s the money they want to offer this chap.

They were all different management teams with their own flaws coming into the Warriors. I mean comparing past mistakes from previous management is LOL material in itself and really reflects your sourness with our current guys trying to steer the ship in a proper direction. Time to get over yourself Iafeta. They have made some very good decisions for our club so far. I don't get your angst with the SJ situation. Admittedly both sides could of handled their parts a whole lot better, we ended up finding out SJ did not want to earn his 2020 contract by putting in a good 2019 season in first. We don't need guys with that self entitlement attitude around and that's the trend they are keeping. Ridding all these characters whom are not willing to fight for the jersey and become the best they can be is what this new regime is about.

Look at our squad. It's pretty solid all over with players willing to put their asses on the line. If we sneer a couple of forwards and another experienced half I would definitely put us in the running for the trophy. Still loads of work to be done. I predict one of the junior halves will rise. Keighran and Tavita-Harris has been getting the love but Perham is my dark horse to come out of nowhere.

The Roosters didn’t sign RTS on $3m over 5 years.

The club probably went all in after the man-child threw all his toys out the cot and left them in this situation. I commend them for going for the kid that has been earmarked a superstar in the making. It;s refreshing from the old days of signing Jeff Robson type players to collect a pension.

Applaud them (O'Sullivan & Smith) they are some of the best recruiters in the game.

Iafeta

Referee
You keep drinking that Cool Aide.

Smith is one of the best recruiters? Really? Go ask the folks at Parramatta, Newcastle, and the Roosters their thoughts. He is known as a one season wonder and then it often all falls apart.

Where have you got that my issue with management is purely a Cameron George thing? Earth to WW. PRECISELY my point is 0 and 24, we have consistently had a bunch of snake oil peddlars in charge. Robson, Lowe, Mick Watson, Wayne Scurrah. Their jobs revolve around making decisions. And over the years the Warriors have been relentlessly making bad ones.

You on the other hand have a bee in your bonnet for when I, and others, have called them out on contradictory statements and actions. You need to see both sides of the picture. I have at times given George some praise where it’s due. But I won’t sycophantically cheer when he contradicts his own rational.

Let’s see how then “pretty solid” squad goes this season.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Sounds like a nothing story in regards to tampering. We went after a guy we believed to be available then withdrew when it was clarified he wasn't.

Doubt there will be much more to come from it than that.