What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors unveil special all black Eden Park kit

hitman82

Bench
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4659478/Warriors-unveil-special-all-black-Eden-Park-kit
Warriors coach Ivan Cleary is braced for a pedantic start to the NRL season as referees stamp their authority early, looking for a cleanup of the basics of the game.
That's already been seen during the Warriors' two trial games where penalties have come thick and fast, particularly around the play the ball areas.
The Warriors have been working with two NRL referees over the past two days, including a long session today at Eden Park which will be the scene of their season-opener against Parramatta on March 12.
The Warriors today unveiled a special jersey for that match which is being billed as the "Battle of Eden".
They will wear an all black strip that features the Warriors logo framed by two silver ferns.
"Playing at Eden Park is such a huge event in the club's history so it's appropriate we have produced this special kit to mark the occasion," Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said.
Rugby league has been played at Eden Park on only two other occasions - the 1988 World Cup final and last year's New Zealand-Australia and England-Papua New Guinea Four Nations double-header.
The upcoming match will also be the first time the Warriors have taken a home fixture away from Mount Smart Stadium since they entered the NRL in 1995.
Cleary meanwhile has been delighted to get some first-hand input from the referees and try to get things sorted out before they roll into business against the Eels.
With refereeing great Bill Harrigan in charge of the whistlemen, Cleary expects a tighter line on many of the basic rules – as simplistic as getting tougher on players being onside at kickoffs and dropouts.
But it's the play the ball area that remains the key and Cleary says there appears to be a closer eye on the attacking team than the tacklers.
"In the last two (trial) games we have given away nine penalties in possession and that's the cardinal sin," Cleary said.
"I think there's probably more focus for the refs on the guys playing the ball than making the tackles. Hopefully we can get those down. It's good to be able to do it in the trial period."
And that was the key for Cleary – he'd rather sort it out now than get surprised in the opening rounds.
So he's been delighted to get a feel from the referees.
"It's one thing to hear or read about it or get told, it's another thing to actually see the actual refs and the trigger points they look for.

"It's been really enlightening the last couple of days ... they have given us an understanding of what they look for and how much leeway they will give."
Is there the concern of it being too pedantic?
"That's a big question," Cleary replied. "I think it is at the moment but I think in fairness to the referees they are just trying to put their foot down now. I think in the trial period they want to make that change in the players' mindset so that by round one there are less penalties purely because they have actually broken some old habits that have been built up in the last few years.
"We'll see how the fans take that. But it's pretty clear that for the opening games you have to be right on the money."

Attachments

• warblk.jpg
    warblk.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 37

Scorpio30

Bench
4659732.jpg

JASON OXENHAM/Stuff.co.nz
ALL BLACK: Krisnan Inu (left) and Ben Matulino model the Warriors' "all black" outfit specially made for their round one NRL match at Auckland's Eden Park which is begin dubbed the "Battle of Eden".

I could be wrong...But I swear thats Mateo.

JoeD

First Grade
Why, why, why? Why are they trying to make themselves more like union? I just don't get it.

JoeD

First Grade
No.
Playing at Eden Park is such a huge event in the club's history so it's appropriate we have produced this special kit to mark the occasion
what a load of sh*t

hitman82

Bench
Maybe people will confuse them with the Bore Blacks and a bigger crowd will show up? But the confusion will cease when players actually run the ball, tries are scored and the guys wearing black look like elite level athletes rather than losers playing an inferior sport.

Taniwha

Juniors
are the jerseys gonna be avaliable to purchase? way better than the rest of the sh*t canterbury of NZ dish up. again there is no merchandise im keen to buy this year.

and i didnt even get one of Wiki's bucket hats this year with my season ticket, just a rude looking cap!

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Falling for their trap. The only reason they are using this strip is for merchandise. Just play in the normal strip, it's not some big occasion like they are trying to make out.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
f**k, some of you guys whinge like little bitches!

Yes, they are playing at Eden Park. Yes, they have a special strip for the occasion.
Suck it up, princesses!!!

Iafeta

Referee
f**k, some of you guys whinge like little bitches!

Yes, they are playing at Eden Park. Yes, they have a special strip for the occasion.
Suck it up, princesses!!!

Agreed. The playa-hate on this is lame to the max. Its like Mt Smart should have a god given right to host every game and we should never try anything else to further market the product. That sort of mentality is stuck back in the 1940s with the recently departed NZRL board.

Personally, the Eden Park idea is sound and should attract a fantastic crowd, and the outfits look brilliant.

On the how many one off jumpers can this mob have comment, every season most clubs come out with a special strip.

Blake

Juniors
Agreed. The playa-hate on this is lame to the max. Its like Mt Smart should have a god given right to host every game and we should never try anything else to further market the product. That sort of mentality is stuck back in the 1940s with the recently departed NZRL board.

Personally, the Eden Park idea is sound and should attract a fantastic crowd, and the outfits look brilliant.

On the how many one off jumpers can this mob have comment, every season most clubs come out with a special strip.

Agreed 100%

Don't get why clowns on here bag other sports. I enjoy wathcing both league and rugby. I find both have their pro's and cons. Rugby is great because of the variation, while league is great because the fluidity of the game makes it easy to consume.

The wankery that goes on about rugby being gay and league being for boofheads is so f**king boring.

So what, the game is at Eden Park and not Mt Smart. The game will get more people along which means more coverage and the additional spend in marketing the event means more national coverage.

Go back to beating your wives and smacking the kids - that's how you come across as sounding.

playdaball

Bench

Have to agree mate. I'm looking fwd to this one off game. A few people at work ae going as they see this as an occasion - they are nor regular Warrior supporters.