What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washy Washy

shaggs

Coach
OP that’s not a washup. It’s hardly a sponge bath

Coach: Shano shano shano. You did well considering that you only had 24 hours to prepare. It’s tough when the tigers had over a week. Did you do any homework? Why didn’t we force mullets to make a decision In defence? Why didnt we use the height advantage our wingers had?
Again our forwards were on the back foot and we continued to play the same set, each and every time.
Cmon man adapt to the game. Make changes to the plan as needed. I’m sure he has been a great man manager in the past but his game management is poor to non existent.
The second half we were better and played a bit more up tempo, and didn’t get into a grind thy suit the tigers set defensive structures.

Holmes: he is getting better each week. His returns are quality and put is in good sted. Defensive positioning could improve.
Edrick: 2017 Lee 1/10. 2018 9/10. Looks to be enjoying himself and feeling confident and it shows.
Ramien: I love him. He is all the things I like in a footballer. Plus he is a kid. Only way is up.
Leutele: he is a kick returner. Full stop
Katoa: get involved young man. Look keen and want it.
Moylan: defensively strong again. Needs the upmtempo to play best.
Chad: direction was good in the eco food half. Did all he could In the first behind a beaten pack
Andrew: tigers did a qld on him. Second stint played on the front foot and offloaded to keep the play rolling.
Brailey: tackler and kept the middle tight. One run that looked good. Just not enough variation at this stage of career
Lewis: HIA
Graham: his best game of the year
Gal: best player on the park. Didn’t stop. Always in there in attack and defence.

Seggy: needs more minutes. If we play up tempo he is such a hard guy to defend
Williams: easily out best bench player the past month.
Bakuya: went ok, not the pre-virus player that was destroying blokes
Paulo: not enough minutes, did he get a head knock too??

For me the coach and his chosen style is doing my head in. Did he make the decision at half time to change? If so, why wait? The way we played in the first 40 is easily coached against and easily defended. His defensive schemes are solid, but attack, not so much

Great fight back in the second half but faaaarkkk we won’t get that shyte defence to attack next week against the Donkies.

We will have to be ready to go from kick off and lose the f**king errors.

Seriously we should’ve pummeled that Tigers team by 40 if we are for real.

Do you think Gallen is going to score a soft as f**k try against the Donkies?

Holmes is going to have that gaping hole to run through?

Or Ramien to brush a couple of defenders off like he’s covered in Vaso?

Big test next week.

So, Cleary came with a power game. Basically used The Klingon and Marsters as extra battering rams. It was effective too but for the fact that Prior, Fifita, Gallen and Brailey were able to repel them. That, at the moment, is Brail’s strength. Being a plug. He excels at that and perhaps blunts his attack this year as he needs different fitness.

In fact, Cleary’s plan blunted the Sharks attack. The four mentioned made 161 tackles between them. Close to 100 by halftime.

Dropsy made it worse.

I was never thinking they wouldn’t win though. There was only one thing to really fix, discipline. That’s fixed it was about playing eyes up because there was always going to be holes in the Tigers defence, a yard or two too slow as they used up the edge energy in defence by having The Klingon and Marsters doing the Clydesdale thing.

Only Gallens try wasn’t an eyes up play.

Holmes 7 - ordinary first half. Only 2 runs. Poor defensive effort for their try. 2nd half he owned 3 crucial plays. The cover on the goal post, the try, the try assist.

Lee 7 - did nothing wrong. Did is job well.

Loots 7 - made a lot of the shit metres coming out of the back end.

Ramien 7 - had to contend with T’Kuvma in the second half and didn’t back off. Great strength, skill, desire for that try. Needs a faster PTB. 3 weeks in a row PTB speed over 4 seconds. When he fights in tackles he gets himself awkward and slows the PTB down. Work in progress

Katoa 5 - did he play?

Mythlan 7 - sound all round game with one highlight

Townsend 8 - outplayed Brooks x 3. Despite the hate in the game thread was always doing well. Made 21 tackles, nearly all on T’Kuvma. Took control and directed in half 2. Kicked for over 300 metres. 4/5 gk. In fact he blew holes in nearly every game day thread comment

Fifita 7 - short game for Andrew. 44 mins. Metres down due to that and the fact that the Tigers went out to get him gassed.

Brailey 8 - let’s take it as read he needs to work on attack. He gets 8 for standing up to that barrage of power runs like a rock. Only missed 1 tackle.

Prior 8 - the rock by which the pack is built around. Makes the tackles. Makes the runs. Does the 1%s. Quietly gets under their skin with his sneaky niggles. He’s a proper prop

Lewis 4 - didn’t get into the game obviously

Graham 7 - best game perhaps even though he didn’t star. Just did it all well

Gallen 9 - clearly the best on field. He might be slower and older but you can’t fault his leadership. His try showed the desire is still there.

Williams 6 - tradesmanlike

SoggySao 8 - is starting to really provide impact and x. Played heads up at the ruck. Made the right choices to run and pass. Duplicated Bradley’s work in the guts.

Bukuya 6 - worked hard but didn’t show the Bakuya mojo.

Paulo 5 - hard to shine with only 13 minutes game time.

Written like the armchair halfback you are.

You clearly weren’t in the ground and it shows.

Williams was the hardest runner and tackler on the ground.... by some margin. He was immense.

There was no “power game” from the Tigers. They played tight but the likes of Chee Kam, Eisenhuth, Lawrence, Mautalino et al had about as much power as a wet lettuce.

The game was always ours and we made it super hard with poor ball control and discipline in the first half.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wash my balls please
Ready mate, turkey slap this

sulfuric-acid-drum-1024x768.jpg

Weaponhead

Coach
Classic game of two halves. First half we were slow, ill-disciplined and dumb. Second half was much more purposeful.

Holmes - 7 - ordinary first half but some crucial plays in the second half really turned the game.
Lee - 7 - strong game. Good finish for the try.
Loots - 6.5 - ran hard and made tough yards. Kicked 3 times which was a bit weird
Ramien - 7 - strong. Great individual try.
Katoa - 6 - limited opportunities. solid enough
Moylan - 7 - quality pass for Lee's try. Made a line break and was dangerous in the second half. A couple of poor kicks but getting better
Chad - 6.5- didn't make the most of the wind in the first half. Solid game without creating much. Got stood up badly by Lawrence. Better goal kicking
Fifita - 6.5 - less effective than usual
Brailey - 6 - defended well making 40 tackles but offering nothing in attack with just 1 run.
Prior - 8 - very good. 140+ metres with less than 3 second PTBs, 40 tackles.
Lewis - 4 - going OK until injury
Graham - 7 - composed
Gallen - 8.5 - worked hard. Inspired the comeback. Captain's effort.

Bench
Seggy - 7 - lifted the tempo and made a strong impact
Paulo - 4 - limited minutes
Williams - 6.5 - good effort. Strong carries and some strong hits
Boogs - 5.5 - OK. Bad miss for their first try with Holmes.

wibble

Bench
what did I say?
I said first half.
we were a rabble in the first half.
2pts going into the sheds.
so to answer your question, more than 0.

Fair enough.

The creating opportunities through individual efforts seemed much more aimed at the second half.

But 1 opportunity per half from the halves would put them in the elite category. People expect our halves to set up 2 or 3 tries a match, and no half has that sort of strike rate over a long period.

Card Shark

Immortal
Val - hitting form, that try a touch on brilliance
Katoa - don’t think he’s ready for first grade yet
Leutele - down on form this year
Ramien - powerhouse but still learning
Lee - I’m still waiting for him to have a shocker, but not even had an ordinary game yet
Moylan - slowly improving but I don’t have a lot of confidence in him..yet
Chad - lost a bit of control today. Should be sacked for missing a goal
Gal - still think it should be his last year but let’s face it, his 2 plays were the turning point. Before that, we were f**ked.
Wade - fair game, think he’s a bit injured or underdone
Lewis - mr reliable but Father Time is catching up on him too.
Prior - the rock that holds us together
Brailey - going good, just like to see him run a bit more
Fifita - lacked energy in his first stint & Flanno must have sensed it as he had a long rest. Coming back after that rest, he killed it.

Seggy - definitely making a positive impact now but I wouldn’t change his minutes
Bukuya - not with it
Williams - good prospect
Paulo - slipping, which is disappointing. Getting a lot more opportunity this year but not taking advantage.

Fair enough.

The creating opportunities through individual efforts seemed much more aimed at the second half.

But 1 opportunity per half from the halves would put them in the elite category. People expect our halves to set up 2 or 3 tries a match, and no half has that sort of strike rate over a long period.
separate statements.
its not about the try assists they rack up.
its about being a genuine attacking threat as a collective unit.
the halves are responsible for this.
our set plays are executed with predictability, they are too slow and are shut down easily.
souths gave us a lesson on setup and execution in attack last week.
we are no where near that standard and haven't been all year.
some people had us top 4 on paper before season start.
we are playing like a fringe 8 team.

txta2

Bench
Pretty fair assessment and wash up, I'd say.

One good thing is that all year our defensive lapses are infrequent. Our main concern is diffusing kicks, but that wasn't an issue today.

I much prefer Moylan doing one flashy thing but having a solid game, than trying too hard and messing up a lot. Today his kick chase was superb. I like these signs of enthusiasm and playing for his team that he has shown this last month; if you didn't see his first few months at the club and just watched his last few weeks you'd say he is one of the best in the team. We just need that all the time from now on.

I agree that Townsend is still criminally under rated. He is not going to make as many line break or try assists as the best half backs, but he controls the game well, and kicks better than most. Including today. And despite two misses in 3 weeks, he is a good defensive half. He does exactly what Flanno and the team want from him.
Which game waa I watching because Chad Townsend was f**kin woeful. 2 try assists, to the Tigers. Did not kick bombs high enough. Did not find the touchline once . Consistently kicked it down oppositions throats. He did not contribute one single positive for the team

Williams, fantastic a kid finally having a crack in the forwards, see ya Catwell.
Fifita.Prior,solid. Ramien, what a try. Gal solid. Lee good. Val OK

wibble

Bench
separate statements.
its not about the try assists they rack up.
its about being a genuine attacking threat as a collective unit.
the halves are responsible for this.
our set plays are executed with predictability, they are too slow and are shut down easily.
souths gave us a lesson on setup and execution in attack last week.
we are no where near that standard and haven't been all year.
some people had us top 4 on paper before season start.
we are playing like a fringe 8 team.

Well on that basis Townsend is a potent attacking half at his best, since he was responsible for our excellent 2016.

Fringe 8 team in attack is still not terrible. I want better than fringe 8 too, but the negative hyperbole on here does not align with our position and results.

Souths attack is not particularly due to (the "responsibility" of) their halves. They create their attacking plays from edge forwards getting early ball after middle forwards trample the opposition.

And they are the best attacking team in the comp. You are hardly woeful if you aren't the best.

The first half which was "diabolical" he would have given us a try if Lewis could have grounded it.

Which game waa I watching because Chad Townsend was f**kin woeful....

See: "f**kin woeful. 2 try assists, to the Tigers. Did not kick bombs high enough. Did not find the touchline once. Consistently kicked it down oppositions throats. He did not contribute one single positive for the team" (and Val "OK").

None of these statements is true.

He didn't give the Tigers two tries, but was one of the players found out for one of their tries. He was next player over for the other but he was not responsible for that one.

He kicked 4 bombs (5 if you count one from the half way line), and all 4 (except the one from the half way line) our chasers got to the receiver as the ball came down. Seems the right height to me. One we even got the ball back which lead to the try the next set that started our comeback.

Only tried to find the touch line once, as it was the only appropriate time, up by 8 in the last 10 minutes, and found it. Great kick. EDIT: We were up by 2 at the time. Still a great kick

Only made two long range kicks which did go to the opposition, but they had three back and they were very long kicks. Opposition tackled about 20 to 30 out with a good line in kick chase. Exactly what Flanno would have wanted.

Other than these positives that he already contributed, he made some great tackles, including one on Lawrence that jolted the ball free, and one on Mahe-Fanua as they were desperate to score at the end. Put Holmes into a gap (then Holmes dropped it), made a small break himself but no one followed him, ran at the line about 5 times and once got tackled but still offloaded, which Moylan turned into a repeat set. Got a line drop out, and would have gotten one of those elusive try assists people complain he doesn't get from a kick early, but Lewis dropped it. I'd say that was a few positives.

If that is the sort of assessment when we outplay and outpoint a tough defensive team, how much worse can it get?

I know we are all prone to exaggeration when describing things (see, we "all" are), including me. He is obviously not "criminally" under rated, unless we have some disturbing laws.

People are so driven to deathride a particular player, coach, or style, that not being the best suddenly becomes the worst. There is a pretty big grey area in between. Townsend did not have a 6 try assist, every kick perfect type game. But he kicked well and directed the team well, and we won handily against a very good defensive side. He was IMHO clearly better than Brooks or Reynolds. And Thurston from last night, or Milford today.

I can't see this as woeful, or diabolical, and even if you thought it lacked spark, surely average, or even below average, is a better descriptor than woeful.

I think he was about a 7/10, but even if you rated him a 4/10, well below what I would think is fair (and what would the other spine players on the field get if that is a 4?), that still just seems below average to me.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Question from the floor without notice ( @ 3.12am ... it's a long story the 3.12am part )

Why are we so shithouse playing with a strong wind behind us? It happens a lot.

Card Shark

Immortal
Well on that basis Townsend is a potent attacking half at his best, since he was responsible for our excellent 2016.

Fringe 8 team in attack is still not terrible. I want better than fringe 8 too, but the negative hyperbole on here does not align with our position and results.

Souths attack is not particularly due to (the "responsibility" of) their halves. They create their attacking plays from edge forwards getting early ball after middle forwards trample the opposition.

And they are the best attacking team in the comp. You are hardly woeful if you aren't the best.

The first half which was "diabolical" he would have given us a try if Lewis could have grounded it.

See: "f**kin woeful. 2 try assists, to the Tigers. Did not kick bombs high enough. Did not find the touchline once. Consistently kicked it down oppositions throats. He did not contribute one single positive for the team" (and Val "OK").

None of these statements is true.

He didn't give the Tigers two tries, but was one of the players found out for one of their tries. He was next player over for the other but he was not responsible for that one.

He kicked 4 bombs (5 if you count one from the half way line), and all 4 (except the one from the half way line) our chasers got to the receiver as the ball came down. Seems the right height to me. One we even got the ball back which lead to the try the next set that started our comeback.

Only tried to find the touch line once, as it was the only appropriate time, up by 8 in the last 10 minutes, and found it. Great kick.

Only made two long range kicks which did go to the opposition, but they had three back and they were very long kicks. Opposition tackled about 20 to 30 out with a good line in kick chase. Exactly what Flanno would have wanted.

Other than these positives that he already contributed, he made some great tackles, including one on Lawrence that jolted the ball free, and one on Mahe-Fanua as they were desperate to score at the end. Put Holmes into a gap (then Holmes dropped it), made a small break himself but no one followed him, ran at the line about 5 times and once got tackled but still offloaded, which Moylan turned into a repeat set. Got a line drop out, and would have gotten one of those elusive try assists people complain he doesn't get from a kick early, but Lewis dropped it. I'd say that was a few positives.

If that is the sort of assessment when we outplay and outpoint a tough defensive team, how much worse can it get?

I know we are all prone to exaggeration when describing things (see, we "all" are), including me. He is obviously not "criminally" under rated, unless we have some disturbing laws.

People are so driven to deathride a particular player, coach, or style, that not being the best suddenly becomes the worst. There is a pretty big grey area in between. Townsend did not have a 6 try assist, every kick perfect type game. But he kicked well and directed the team well, and we won handily against a very good defensive side. He was IMHO clearly better than Brooks or Reynolds. And Thurston from last night, or Milford today.

I can't see this as woeful, or diabolical, and even if you thought it lacked spark, surely average, or even below average, is a better descriptor than woeful.

I think he was about a 7/10, but even if you rated him a 4/10, well below what I would think is fair (and what would the other spine players on the field get if that is a 4?), that still just seems below average to me.

No 1 contender for longest post of the year.

The most important point for some on here that go from 1 end of the spectrum to the other....just ‘cause ya not the best at something, doesn’t instantly make you shit or worst at it.

The most important point for some on here that go from 1 end of the spectrum to the other....just ‘cause ya not the best at something, doesn’t instantly make you shit or worst at it.

Correct! It just makes you acceptably Mediocre.

I just asked my accountant to do a player ratings. Recent game (yearly accumulative)
1. Value for money (Overpaid )
2. Value for money (Overpaid )
3. Underpaid (Underpaid)
4 Value for money (Value for money )
5 Value for money (Value for money )
6 Value for money (Overpaid )
7 Underpaid (Underpaid)
8 Underpaid (Underpaid)
9 Overpaid (Value for money )
10 Value for money (Underpaid)
11 Value for money (Value for money )
12 Value for money (Value for money )
13 Underpaid (Underpaid)
14 (Overpaid ) (Overpaid )
15 Value for money (Value for money )
16Value for money (Value for money )
17Value for money (Value for money )

wibble

Bench

Nah, I'll write longer, no doubt.

It is not just on footy forums of course.

So many people "rate" a movie they like for example, a "10", and one they don't like a "1".

I mean, a 1 rating movie to me has to be so bad I'd rather do something considered unpleasant, like dishes for example, than watch it. A 10 has to be a movie I can't stop thinking about and being impressed by, even years later.