What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watto storms out of India

HevyDevy

Coach
Whether the request is deemed stupid or not is irrelevant. The players were given a task by management and didn't bother to complete the task.

Also, suggesting that these four shouldn't have been dropped because we need them is ridiculous. Of course we need them - some of them anyway - but the coaching staff have to make a decision: do they implement discipline or do they not?

If they decide that they need the four to play no matter what then they needn't bother instilling any sort of ethic into the team ethos. However, if they decide it's time to draw a line in the sand then you can't pick and choose which players you can or can't afford to lose. If they let the side down, they get dropped.

As it is, this has just shown Watson up for the selfish turd that he is, still living with that sense of entitlement and having a dummy-spit when he it is suggested that he might actually need to earn his spot in the team.

Uzi, Patto and Johnson will learn from this and at the end of the day, that's the whole point of dropping them.

aqua_duck

Coach
It's the coaches job to focus on how to improve the team, it's the coaches job to give the players input not the other way around. Can you imagine Des Hasler telling Kasiano, Pritchard, Barba and T Rex to write him an essay or prepare a PowerPoint presentation?
Also how does that excercise work with Uzi and Shitchell when they haven't played a f**king game? Really Old man Invers, Micky mouse and the rest of the coaching staff should have to make a PowerPoint justifying their employment

HevyDevy

Coach
It's not up to the players to decide what tasks they should and shouldn't do. And how f**king hard could this one be to complete? It would take 20 minutes.

What it shows is laziness and contempt by these four players. What should Uzi and Johnson have written? Easy. They could have explained what they believe they could bring to the squad that has been lacking in the first two Tests.

Canard

Immortal
The coach's request was perfectly reasonable and the punishment fair.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the request was reasonable, its the punishment that most find hard to grasp.

It also smacks of a management culture that has lost its way, trying to divulge responsibility for fixing things onto others.

Pattinson has busted a nut for Australia on this tour and has been rewarded by taking this approach?

As for Watto suggesting he might quit, pfft who cares. That doesn't mean I can't look at the issue objectively however.

Danish

Referee
I honestly don't see what was wrong with the task requested.

the coach asked each member of the squad to identify what they believe they can bring to the test side judging on how the series has gone so far. Seems like a pretty straight forward "be honest about your strengths and weaknesses" exercise to me. Doesn't sound like they were asking for some long essay.

I wonder how many league players would refuse to complete such a task if Meninga or Daley asked them to do so in Origin camp?

bazza

Immortal
I wonder how many league players would refuse to complete such a task if Meninga or Daley asked them to do so in Origin camp?

Meninga would get 17 replies (only 9 would be readable)
Daley would have to find 5 or 6 new players

derp

Juniors
art-simpsons2-620x349.jpg

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just saw the Clarke interview on Fox, i think there is more to it than blokes not doing their homework. He is obviously frustrated that the rest of his teams standards are not up to his own. There are number of veiled digs at Watson and by the looks Clarke just thinks some blokes in this side are not doing everything they can to help themselves and Australian cricket. Maybe this is the line in the sand that was needed i'm not sure but i'd be suprised if Twattson plays for Australia again.

Hooch

Juniors
geniused is probably the right word in this case.

Arthur should be sacked for being geniused.

'Mickey, give me a powerpoint presentation explaining how you are not geniused.'

aqua_duck

Coach
The players aren't performering but we have a selection panel for a reason, to select the best possible team and they've failed that task miserably. Bottom line is doesn't matter how many team building exercises, essays or PowerPoint presentations, when you pick a team that simply isn't good enough then you're not going to win

JJ

Immortal
stormed ou seems a bit disingenuous... he was going to leave after this test, now he's been booted, he might as well head home to his wife... that's pretty understandable

You have to think that these 4 have done a little more than avoiding their homework, surely...

HevyDevy

Coach
The players aren't performering but we have a selection panel for a reason, to select the best possible team and they've failed that task miserably. Bottom line is doesn't matter how many team building exercises, essays or PowerPoint presentations, when you pick a team that simply isn't good enough then you're not going to win

Same if you don't show the required application.

Watson's problem has never been lack of ability. It's shit like this - obviously not willing to put the effort into even the smallest of tasks.

This has exposed Watson for who he is and that alone makes it a worthwhile task. He believes he is entitled to a place in the side. He believes that he is a supreme talent and putting in the hard yards is beneath him. When his 'rightful place' is taken away from him he spits the dummy, heads home and threatens to retire.

Let's hope Uzi and co. react the way Watson should have - put his f**king head down and dig in.