What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett to join Souths in 2020

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I have to say, I think you guys have grabbed him at the right time.

After all the shit he's copped over the past couple of years, including being cut loose by the Broncos for the second time, I feel like Wayne is going to be chomping at the bit to win one last premiership. He will be going into the 2020 season with a fire in his stomach to get you guys over the line.

His final year with us will be a limp noodle. He'll be too busy orchestrating his time at Souths to worry about what's going on with our prospects.

ThingFish

Juniors

ThingFish

Juniors
Well after THAT exciting day I think some stiff Buffalo Trace and cokes are on order, while I plan my 2019 with the aid of the new draw.

I don’t think I’ve had that many SMSs at work since “The Scandal” :joy:

English Rose

Juniors
Surely if Seibald is off to Brisbane they would be better off just swapping them now so they don’t have the drama about swapping clubs all year in 2019.

Plus on a side note this might make Pangai Junior think about actually signing as from reports he is very close to Wayne!

Ultra Rabbit

Juniors
Surely if Seibald is off to Brisbane they would be better off just swapping them now so they don’t have the drama about swapping clubs all year in 2019.

Plus on a side note this might make Pangai Junior think about actually signing as from reports he is very close to Wayne!

Hopefully he comes with Pangai and Oates

ThingFish

Juniors
The more I think about it there is some really positive points about Wayne being our coach:

1: once I got over the repulsion, he is a good coach, even if getting past it.

2: He will attract top line players over his 2 or 3 years here.

3: He knows how to have a team ready for the right end of the season. Be prepared for a slow start, but a form finish. We’ve suffered some early peaks, busted finishes.

4: He doesn’t mind coaching a dickhead. In fact he knows how to inspire, even reform a dickhead. I think our no dickhead policy has really hurt us over the last decade or so, we’ve lost some gooduns.

callmack1

Staff member
I'm still super pissed at Seibs and am gutted because I want him to stay but the more I think about it, I'm pretty keen for Bennett.

We all know how good a coach he is, he's one of the greatest coaches of all time and is a proven winner. What's more, he is a fantasic man manager and really focusses on forming great relationships with his players, all the Broncos players seem to love him and are really close to him. He's coming to us at a good time too where the club is already in good hands so his incoming should hopefully be seamless. There's also the fact that like Fish has said, he will attract top line players to us and he will be chomping at the bit for a Premiership.

I say let's make it happen for 2019, it has to happen! What's the point in having two coaches in the corresponding clubs looking towards the future? It's common sense to me!

ThingFish

Juniors
I'm still super pissed at Seibs and am gutted because I want him to stay but the more I think about it, I'm pretty keen for Bennett.

We all know how good a coach he is, he's one of the greatest coaches of all time and is a proven winner. What's more, he is a fantasic man manager and really focusses on forming great relationships with his players, all the Broncos players seem to love him and are really close to him. He's coming to us at a good time too where the club is already in good hands so his incoming should hopefully be seamless. There's also the fact that like Fish has said, he will attract top line players to us and he will be chomping at the bit for a Premiership.

I say let's make it happen for 2019, it has to happen! What's the point in having two coaches in the corresponding clubs looking towards the future? It's common sense to me!
I’m actually getting a little pumped. As Ch7 has reported I reckon 2019 is a done deal on the table. They just need all parties to return from OS to iron out the legalities and finer points.

I forgot to add another point:

5: I think Wayne may bring some possible ready made TPAs with him, QLD businesses trust him. and I reckon may even attract some of them to NSW.

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
Sad to see Seibold go but if it's going to happen it should happen now rather than in 2020. Both teams will be better for it.
Hope we have a jersey big enough for Pangai Jr - he'll more than make up for the loss of Crichton

ThingFish

Juniors
2020 TPJ I hope.
TPJ hasn’t actually signed that deal with the Broncs, he’s OS. With all the crap that’s happened today, if Wayne does get a 2019 start and we can find cap space, I reckon he could flip on his promise to the Broncs, GI style, and he could even be a 2019 starter. But that’s a lot of if’s.

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
TPJ hasn’t actually signed that deal with the Broncs, he’s OS. With all the crap that’s happened today, if Wayne does get a 2019 start and we can find cap space, I reckon he could flip on his promise to the Broncs, GI style, and he could even be a 2019 starter. But that’s a lot of if’s.
Yes, that's a lot of ifs but, as always, money will be the only if that really matters.
Souths have lost Crichton and Clark but neither would have been on huge money. Upgrading Cook should be a priority if there's any spare cash laying around so that might mean the best chance of picking up TPJ would be if Sutton calls it quits

ThingFish

Juniors
Yes, that's a lot of ifs but, as always, money will be the only if that really matters.
Souths have lost Crichton and Clark but neither would have been on huge money. Upgrading Cook should be a priority if there's any spare cash laying around so that might mean the best chance of picking up TPJ would be if Sutton calls it quits
There is also a rumour, and I emphasise rumour, I have no sources other than similar forums to this, that we may release AJ to Raiders.

Rabbits20

Immortal
On another note isn’t it funny how Corey Allan and Wayne will be reunited lol.

I’ll also be very intrigued as to who Wayne gives the number 1 jersey too.

If AJ stays imo he has to move back to wing.

I would have GI at the back. Maybe later in the season Allen could play fullback.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The problem we have if we were to offload AJ is this:

Douiehi you’d think wouldn’t be ready for first couple of months of season. Hunt is gone too.

We’d have this:

My old man does not think GI can physically handle fullback anymore.

So we’d have this without AJ and the depth is a big worry:

Allen (we’d have to be patient with him. He is still raw)
Campbell
GI
Gagai
Jennings (I haven’t had any confirmation via member email that’s he is staying yet)

Standby:
Burns
Hiroti
Kennar?? Not sure if he’s staying yet.

That depth imo looks quite shaky. 2 injuries in the backs and we would be stuffed.

Latest posts