What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCQ: Australia v Jordan

Big Sam

First Grade
Socceroos v Jordan
Docklands (Etihad) Stadium, Melbourne
Tuesday 11 June 2013, 7.00pm
TV: Live 7.00pm (AEST) Fox Sports, Delayed 8.00pm (AEST) SBS.
History: First and only meeting in Amman 11/9/12 - Jordan 2 Australia 1.

Socceroos Squad:
Bresciano, Brosque, Cahill, Cornthwaite, Franjic, Galekovic, Holland, Holman, Jedinak, Kennedy, Kruse, Langerak, McGowan, McKay, Milligan, Neill, North, Oar, Ogenovski, Rogic, Schwarzer, Thompson, Thwaite, Vidosic, Wilkshire, Zullo.
Coach: Osieck

Jordan Squad:
Amer Shafia, Mohammad Muneer, Yaseen Al-Bakhit, Baha' Abdel-Rahman, Adnan Adous, Saeed Murjan, Amer Deeb, Mohammad Mustafa, Odai Al-Saify, Ahmad Hayel, Ra'ed Al-Nawateer, Abdullah Al-Zubi, Khalil Bani Attiah, Abdallah Deeb, Shadi Abu Hash'hash, Basem Fat'hi, Ibrahim Al-Zawahreh, Anas Bani Yaseen, Hamza Al-Dardour, Essam Mubaideen, Ahmed Abdel-Sattar, Oday Zahran, Mohammad Al-Dmeiri, Ahmed Samir, Mossab Al-Laham.
Coach: Adnan Hamad

-

No need to point out the significance of this match.

Jordan have spent the week in NZ preparing, where they barely defeated an All Whites 'A' team 1-0: http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/nz-youngsters-impress-in-jordan-tune-up-5455938

Different ball game where we are the ones who should be in control of possession and the tempo. Can't beat Jordan at hole don't deserve to go to Brazil.

VictoryFC

Bench
At least the situation is simple. Win both games and its done and dusted. Ive tried going through many permutations, and there are scenarios where 4 points will do, but at least its in our hands if we win both.

Big Sam

First Grade
At least the situation is simple. Win both games and its done and dusted. Ive tried going through many permutations, and there are scenarios where 4 points will do, but at least its in our hands if we win both.

Japan won't field their 1st XI against Iraq so it wouldn't surprise me if the Iraqis get a point or three.

We're good enough to get 6/6. And if we're not, then we don't deserve to go.

VictoryFC

Bench
Japan won't field their 1st XI against Iraq so it wouldn't surprise me if the Iraqis get a point or three.

We're good enough to get 6/6. And if we're not, then we don't deserve to go.

Iraq lost last night, basically killing their automatic chances imo. Technically theyre alive, but with both Japan and Aus to play its a bridge too far, and they need other results to go their way.

Oman is the only danger from where I see it. The good news is Oman have to go away to Jordan. Jordan getting a result might mean we only need 4 points. Otherwise if Oman win that game, we need 6. In fact Oman winning that game is the only way we'll need 6 points.

But anyway playing Iraq in an empty Doha stadium should be a win even for a depleted Japan, though I think they will field close to a full strength team. Good thing Iraq arent allowed to play at home otherwise this group would have been alot more difficult.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
Oman play a few hours after our match on the 18th. Hopefully by then it will all be over and Oman/Jordan will be a straight shootout for 3rd.

Big Sam

First Grade
Jordan fuming after coach detained

6 June 2013-SBS EXCLUSIVE: Scott McIntyre

The Jordan Football Association (JFA) was left furious after its national team coach was detained for questioning for more than four hours at a Melbourne airport on Wednesday.

In the country for its crucial 2014 World Cup qualifier against Australia next Tuesday, the JFA told The World Game it is "deeply disappointed" over the treatment of its Iraqi coach Adnan Hamad after the team arrived from New Zealand, where it had held a four-day training camp.

Hamad, who had a valid visa for Australia and was the only one of the delegation to be questioned, is said to have been surprised when he was initially refused entry.

JFA General-Secretary Khalil Al-Salem has already spoken with the Australian embassy in Amman and said his organisation was extremely upset with the treatment the coach received.

“Every player and all the officials, including two Iraqis and a Brazilian were processed in a matter of seconds yet our coach was the only one detained.”

“We were provided with no answers as to why this happened and after he was finally granted entry into Australia after four hours we were not even given an apology.”

The JFA General-Secretary also claimed that there was no Football Federation Australia (FFA) official present to greet his side as is usually protocol for FIFA matches.

“It is not a sporting decision and it’s against protocol not to have an official from the host FA present and again I will say that we are extremely disappointed at this treatment.”

“If there were any issues that needed clarification these should have been done in Amman before we left and we will voice these clear complaints to the FFA as well as informing FIFA of what has happened.”

It’s understood that there was a bilateral agreement in place between the two nations to ensure that visiting delegations were greeted by an official of the host nation.

FFA released a statement disputing the JFA's claim that a representative from the Australian governing body was not present at the airport: "FFA regrets any inconvenience caused, but the operations of Australian Customs is not a matter over which FFA has control," the statement read. "We respect the right of Customs to carry out its lawful duties as it sees fit.

"FFA had two representatives at the airport to meet the Jordanians and they did what they could to assist in the arrival process."

The Socceroos arrived in Melbourne on Thursday morning, having breathed life into their qualifying campaign with a rousing draw against Group B leader Japan in Saitama on Tuesday.

With two points separating third and sixth in the group, Australia can guarantee direct qualification by winning its last two group matches, starting with Jordan, which is locked on seven points with the Socceroos.

The game can be seen on SBS ONE from 7.30pm AEST (delayed telecast and 8pm kick-off), and LIVE commentary is available on SBS Radio Three.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1155009/Jordan-fuming-after-coach-detained

BDR

First Grade
I'll be at this one. Hopefully the people of Melbourne show up and cheer the boys on. The most important game for the NT since the last world cup.

Big Sam

First Grade
I see Jordan's coach had a good bitch yesterday about fumbleball using the same pitch on Sunday.

Is he worried about his players not having an immaculate surface on which to roll around feigning injury?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I see Jordan's coach had a good bitch yesterday about fumbleball using the same pitch on Sunday.

Is he worried about his players not having an immaculate surface on which to roll around feigning injury?

He was actually more annoyed about the lack of camels, rocks, and snakes.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
This will be a bigger test than the Japan game, as TT says we won't be able to play on the counter and will have to dictate the tempo of the match, this is where we have struggled big time of late. Massive match.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Yeah can't wait for this one. Leaving work early. Manager can GTFO.

On a side note, 365 days until the World Cup!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Nice and early kickoff suits me. Can stream the game and then take the missus out to dinner.

This will be a bigger test than the Japan game, as TT says we won't be able to play on the counter and will have to dictate the tempo of the match, this is where we have struggled big time of late. Massive match.

Plus I think these middle eastern teams have worked out we can be frustrated by their antics during games. We need an early goal.

Biggest game since Croatia in 2006. I'm really getting nervous about this.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The Asian confederation pandering to the play-acting and gamesmanship is a blight on the game, and it disadvantages us more than most.

Nothing we can do about it, but God it's frustrating to watch.

BDR

First Grade
Got my kit on and my ticket ready, this is going to be a good night. Fire up Australia!

Big Sam

First Grade
The Asian confederation pandering to the play-acting and gamesmanship is a blight on the game, and it disadvantages us more than most.

You mean the Arab Confederation because it's only the West Asian teams that do it (at least at Int'l level).