What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We bid ye farewell SFS!

horrie hastings

First Grade
It’s funny, I said to mate at the game that I have no emotional attachment to the ground unlike the old Sports Ground but thinking back I have plenty of fond memories, to tired to post them now but will post a few after I finish work tomorrow.

2010Dragons

Bench
The best
All the ANZAC day games when the Dragons beat the chooks

The worst
All the ANZAC day games when the chooks beat the Dragons.

Where will they the 2019 ANZAC DAY ?

King hit

Coach
I never went to the SFS but i walked around the ground back in May before I visited the museum of Rugby League and see the statues.

Some games I’ve been to-

Bears Broncos final game in 94 where Jason Taylor kicked a FG at the northern end to win it for the Bears and end Brisbanes campaign to go for 3 straight. Mario was on the bench at the end and was jumping around like they had won the GF

It’s a shame that the falcon never got to play in a grand final. Such a tremendous player in a great era for the game.

Pedge1971

First Grade
It’s funny, I said to mate at the game that I have no emotional attachment to the ground unlike the old Sports Ground but thinking back I have plenty of fond memories, to tired to post them now but will post a few after I finish work tomorrow.

Loved the old sports ground. Remember my first rime there from the bush and thinking how big the stadiums were in Sydney and I had finally made it.

A few years later they demolished it an built the SFS.

Haffa

My first game was West’s and souffs in 1990. 7 year old me was in heaven.

Was dragged between my Pop (souffs fan) and Dad (chooks) to most home games until 95.

Wasn’t at the Norths game in 97 but went to The other prelim.

The greatest day of my life beating that Manly team on the siren in 97. Took us hours to get home to the coast.

Went to every Anzac Day from 2002 to 2013 as defence people got in free And drinking myself stupid in the city wasn’t as fun as footy and beers to me.

Origin in 1993 and 1994

2013 prelim. Sad night so I just got drunk.

Mariners winning the a league. Chilli peppers in 03.

Last game Will be Cows vs chooks from last season.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I first went a league game there in 97, Eels Vs Norths. Eels lost but it felt good being the ground

Unfortunately I went back to the SFS a year later to see us get beat by the Bulldogs. Then see them lose to the Storm a year later. So not a great start there.

In 2000 I was happy to see beat the Panthers in an elimination semi final.

I went to the World Sevens in 2003. I was happy they brought it back that year. The crowd would get so exciting when an emerging nation like Russia and Lebanon would score, then boo when someone like Roosters or Sharks score against them.

2009 was probably my favourite moments that year. We played the Tigers in front of 34,000 people great atmosphere for a regular match but had the semi final feeling. Hayne's try in the end was brilliant.

Then the semi final against the Titans, in front of around 27,000. Great atmosphere, mostly Eels fans. So happy with the win and knowing we'd play the Bulldogs. With about 10 minutes to go, everyone was chanting "BRING ON THE BULLDOGS".

Other memorable matches I went to was the 2008 WC against the Kiwis and the Tri Nations match against GB.

Damn shame they're tearing it down for a new one. Ive always been a big fan of the SFS.

Hope the new one if just as good if not better.

I will add the 1997 ARL Grand Final. I was there barracking for the Knights, and I think about 70% of the stadium went up in celebration when Darren Albert scored. I was sitting with a group of some 30-50 neutrals around me who were all barracking for Newcastle.

Canard

Immortal
When it first opened RLW used to lay into it weekly, complaining about leaking roofs, shit atmosphere etc.

The old guard really had a hard on for the SCG

big hit!

Bench
I went there in 88 .. it rained.. and everyone whinged the roof was too short..

So Sydney

Bit sad to see something built in your lifetime knocked down

I guarantee they'll build a new one and still get it wrong. it's not like there's a heap of land to work with. the southern end of SFS backs onto the Bradman/Noble stand of the SCG - it's literally within 30-40m of it. access inside the southern end of SFS is shit narrow, and with the northern end backing onto moore park road, it's going to take some crafty designing (or an awesomely steep rake i hope) to ensure there is a wide concourse at the back of the stands for access. if it's still as tight as it is, the Trust will look like a bunch of massive hypocrites

walking down devonshire st last night had me thinking about how f**ked this city/govt is with infrastructure works. that road has been closed for 2 years and still has barriers up all over the joint. all these businesses were promised 9 months of pain but they're all coming up to a 3rd christmas of shit. you'd think they would have built the light rail in smaller zones and poured all resources into the smaller areas and moved along. they could also be running trams up and down the completed zones by now too and then add another section once it's completed. nup, not in sydney. close down the whole joint for 3 years.

i also used tibby cotter bridge for the first time too. there were signs outside the SFS indicating it was the quickest way to get to Central. who were they fooling but i decided to give it a go to check it out. forget about the time it takes to actually get on and off the circular ramps, you get off on the surry hills side of the bridge and you're left in complete darkness in the middle of greenspace with folks trying to work out which way they have to go. if it didn't cost $40m of our money, you'd f**king laugh. it provides a good vantage point to watch roosters training i suppose on Kippax field.