What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We bid ye farewell SFS!

horrie hastings

First Grade
Loved the old sports ground. Remember my first rime there from the bush and thinking how big the stadiums were in Sydney and I had finally made it.

A few years later they demolished it an built the SFS.

I grew up just around the corner from the old Sports Ground so it holds a fond place in my heart. Also well after I had moved out of the area watching East play there during 1980/81/82 was such an exciting time and sitting on the eastern hill and having the sun set in your face, it was agreat ground.

siv

First Grade
Missed being able to buy a "Finals ticket" for $90 which included entry to every semifinal and grand final matches

horrie hastings

First Grade
Many great games and memories at the SFS

The Roosters vs Tigpies semi ranks up their with one of the most exciting and electric finish to game ever.

2000 final when Easts came back from 16-2 down to beat the Knights 26-16 to make their first Grand Final in years. Seeing Joey throw his mouth guard on the ground in disgust was just brilliant to watch

I think it was 1998 when Easts beat Canberra 28-22, Jack Elsgood had a blinder scoring two tries and Andrew Walker kicking goals off different sidelines to keep Easts in touch, then draw level and then put them 6 points up.

The 12-10 win over the Broncos in 1996 Monday night footy and not because of the Andrew Gee incorrect tap which gave the Roosters the win but because it was a top notch game of football with great tries being scored including Darren Junee's chip and chase try to level the scores.

Adrian Lam's field goal to level the score against North's in the dying seconds back in 1997 semi then Roosters ran away with the game in extra time.

The Wallabies vs All Blacks in 1994, was sitting right in front of where George Gregan tackled Jeff Wilson to knock the ball out to save a certain try and the match.

I think it was 1998 when Easts beat Canberra 28-22, Jack Elsgood had a blinder scoring two tries and Andrew Walker kicking goals off different sidelines to keep Easts in touch, then draw level and then put them 6 points up.

It was 1999. Elsegood's father had died a few days before the game,m and we were down 22-0 at halftime. I mentioned this game also in my initial post up thread :)

siv

First Grade
What was the capacity if the stadium?

With 2000 people locked out of the members there was a momumental ticketing stuff up. How many of those were free passes ?

Headless Chook

Juniors
It’s funny, I said to mate at the game that I have no emotional attachment to the ground unlike the old Sports Ground but thinking back I have plenty of fond memories, to tired to post them now but will post a few after I finish work tomorrow.
I loved the Sports Ground. Went to quite a few games in the early 80’s. One in particular springs to mind. It was a game against Manly, possibly in 1982 where Easts were on fire and won 40 something to 2. One of the tries went from one end to the other and must have went through 16 hands. Pretty sure it’s on YouTube.

Enjoyed the Henson Park experience in ‘87 too while the SFS was being built. It helped that we had a good season.

Went to the first game against the Dragons in the rain. Best memory for mine was the game against the Broncs where Gee stuffed up a 20m tap restart and the Chooks won at the death with a penalty goal. Massive crowd too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
It was 1999. Elsegood's father had died a few days before the game,m and we were down 22-0 at halftime. I mentioned this game also in my initial post up thread :)

Yep it was 1999 but we were never down 22 nil, I often have people mention that we were down 22-6 at one stage but that’s not right either, I remember we were trailing 6-12 at one stage and Luke Ricketson scored a try after Canberra dropped the ball to make it 10-12, almost certaiin the biggest lead Canberra had was 10pts, I do remember Canberra lead 22-10 and the Roosters scored out wide and Walker kicked the goal from the side line to put them behind by 6 pts then we scored on the opposite side and he put it over from the other sideline to level at 22-22.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Couldn't find the match on you tube but found a clip with the 1999 season highlights but it does show some of the Roosters vs Canberra match which shows we weren't down 22-0 . The highlights start at the 4min 12 second mark.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I loved the Sports Ground. Went to quite a few games in the early 80’s. One in particular springs to mind. It was a game against Manly, possibly in 1982 where Easts were on fire and won 40 something to 2. One of the tries went from one end to the other and must have went through 16 hands. Pretty sure it’s on YouTube.

Here are all the tries from that game :D

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I have seen that last try before somewhere expect the commentary was recorded over by someone else and I was thinking no-one actually called the game back then. Don't know why they didn't use Rabs' commentary.

Just on the SSG, someone explained this to me today that the ground was east west, so basically where Schubert scored was where the ARL headquarters are or near enough, right??

Nuke

Staff member
I've only ever been to the SFS once: Sunday 28th September 1997. The ARL Grand Final between Newcastle and Manly.

I was in the corner where Hopoate scores in the first half, which gave me a great view of Darren Albert as he pierced the Manly defence only seconds out from fulltime to win Newcastle the premiership. I was only 16 at the time, and 21 years later I still get the chill up my spine every time I see a replay of that moment. Each and every time without fail. It is still the greatest day of my life, and frankly, I can't see how it could be topped.

juro

Bench
Games I remember at the SFS are:
  • a few finals games during the 1990s, even though the Tigers weren't playing. Wouldn't even dream of going as a neutral these days. One of those finals was the infamous Parra vs Bulldogs game, where I told my mate (Parra fan) that there was no way they would lose from there. Hahahahaha!!!
  • my first SOO game, game 1, 1998. Brilliant game with QLD coming back to win at the death (BASTARDS!!)
  • 2005 Tigers vs Broncos final - Marshall saved a try then scored one within a few minutes. Unfortunately I was out of town for the Tigers vs Dragons final. I can only imagine what that would have been like live.
  • My kids' first live games. My son saw us beat the Dragons in 2012 on a wet night, with Marshall throwing a wonderful pass for a late try, just near us. My daughter saw us lose to Souths in 2013, but she was only interested in the cheergirls and mascots. I was worried she would start going for Souths because she liked their mascot (why is he allowed at away games?) but when she found out they didn't have cheergirls, she lost all interest.

JamesRustle

First Grade
1992 finals series was fantastic. I watched Saints win 3-2 against the knights and 4-0 the following week against Illawarra. I had a birdseye view of Peter Coyne smashing Brett Rodwell? When he was over the tryline but before he could score the try.