What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Have Enough Cap Space to Buy Quality

Frank Facer

First Grade
Totally unrelated to anything, Buzz Rothfield is spreading the rumour that all is not well at the Sharks between Ramien and Xerri- possibly they both covet the same backline position. Could be an opportunity to grab one of them and hopefully Josh Morris as well.
I haven't seen much of Ramien, but from what I have seen, he looks like a bit of a hog. He does look like a powerful ball runner.

I would take Xerri out of the 2. He has blinding speed. Has a great build for centre. Was showing some great signs as an 18 year old and looks a very exciting prospect. He looks like a real strike weapon who could play origin in the future. I can't see Cronulla letting him go. Maybe he has some kind of relationship with Flanno?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
You completely lost me with Taylor. He is pathetic.

I wanted Clune in the team in 2018 because he was so damn good but was told by a poster in this forum that he is finding his way as a lawyer and doesn't want the responsibility of the NRL- more's the pity if that is true.

Dorsai

Juniors
Currently as it sits, only two teams have zero gains for the 2020 season. The other team is Manly and based on their roster, they may still be considering their options.

The Dragons however have nothing, zero, zilch with little to no prospect. If we do pick anyone up it will be for massive overs, as usual, even for past it second graders, as has been the case in recent years.

Current talk of Lomax possibly heading to the raiders, Frizell unhappy, even though he continues to deny these rumors, leaves a sour taste for the next season even before the dust has settled on this one.

There is talk of a big name assistant coming in to set mcidiot straight, though frankly the incompetency of this club makes it hard to believe in anything that may be a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

The question I have with money that seems to may be here one day and is talked down the next as to what can be spent on players etc is "Is there a deliberate move by the current board / southern owner to kill off the franchise to the point where they can rebirth it (as they would hold a licence)? Relocation? Renaming? or just an attempt to have a full ownership by starving the un-owned 50% of cash?"

I know it sounds a bit of a conspiracy but seriously, would anyone run a company the way this club is currently being run?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Currently as it sits, only two teams have zero gains for the 2020 season. The other team is Manly and based on their roster, they may still be considering their options.

The Dragons however have nothing, zero, zilch with little to no prospect. If we do pick anyone up it will be for massive overs, as usual, even for past it second graders, as has been the case in recent years.

Current talk of Lomax possibly heading to the raiders, Frizell unhappy, even though he continues to deny these rumors, leaves a sour taste for the next season even before the dust has settled on this one.

There is talk of a big name assistant coming in to set mcidiot straight, though frankly the incompetency of this club makes it hard to believe in anything that may be a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

The question I have with money that seems to may be here one day and is talked down the next as to what can be spent on players etc is "Is there a deliberate move by the current board / southern owner to kill off the franchise to the point where they can rebirth it (as they would hold a licence)? Relocation? Renaming? or just an attempt to have a full ownership by starving the un-owned 50% of cash?"

I know it sounds a bit of a conspiracy but seriously, would anyone run a company the way this club is currently being run?
Why does it have to be WIN that is trying to run it into the ground to get a 100% share?

What’s not to say it’s St George doing it to try and wrest back 100% control?

After all, they could then lobby the NRL to say that it’s twice failed with Illawarra and should be run completely from Kogarah..

TruSaint

Referee

WIN corp, and Im not here to defend them, have been onboard for 1 season.

Our Club has been run to the ground for years.

As for recruitment, we are according to most journos, on a tight budget as a result of piss poor decisions, on field performance, last in terms of home attendances and so forth.

Being associated with the Illawarra at the minute is the only thing not putting us on the top in terms of relocation.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

As for recruitment, we are according to most journos, on a tight budget as a result of piss poor decisions, on field performance, last in terms of home attendances and so forth.

Being associated with the Illawarra at the minute is the only thing not putting us on the top in terms of relocation.
We can't split from Illawarra, there are way too many teams in Sydney. All teams should have juniors in my opinion or they shouldn't exist. I thought the Northern Eagles were a good idea, and Dragons are a good idea as the geography means that basically we are the Southern Sydney/South Coast team Eagles were the North Sydney team, maybe Central Coast, West Tigers is a bit of a strange one to me but in a perfect World all the teams like Rabbits, Roosters, Dogs and Balmain would be a Sydney team. Parra, Wests and Penrith the Western team. And Cronulla would relocate. I know this is never going to happen but nonetheless we need Illawarra.

Dorsai

Juniors
Why does it have to be WIN that is trying to run it into the ground to get a 100% share?

What’s not to say it’s St George doing it to try and wrest back 100% control?

After all, they could then lobby the NRL to say that it’s twice failed with Illawarra and should be run completely from Kogarah..

That could well be true. I grant that it could be the other way round.

My feeling why it isnt however is that the St George end does not have the financial resources to push this type of move unless there is an outside suitor. Which would mean the outside suitor would need to buy not just the Illawarra shares, but also the St George shares to have a whole entity otherwise we are back to where we are right now.

My understanding is that other than pay for the shares, which has allowed the NRL loan to be repaid and paid back the loan to the St George Club, there has been little in the way of further funds forthcoming from WIN corp. They have their people on the board and, I think it was mentioned in another thread a possible casting vote should push come to shove, but no additional funds to advance the team.

When you think the club declared, and I could be wrong, $25k in TPA for the year, surely the WIN corp, somewhere in the conglomeration of companies, could find or influence a little more.

As I said, its speculation, but the pieces do not seem out of the realm of possibility..

Dorsai

Juniors

I am not saying that its WIN entirely, they may just be taking advantage of something that was not thought through properly or just not put together right.

We, the supporters, the fans and club members have no say in who runs the joint venture. Those in charge vote themselves in and out. Its been a case of mismanagement since Facer left, gradually getting worse and worse. For too long St George officials relied too much on their history without thinking and ensuring the future and well, here it is.

We either have the worst recruiters in existence, or players will only come here on overs because they know its the death knell for their career. The coach, the staff, the recruitment team are all "good ole boys" with no sense and a board that cannot be touched by any means except the NRL sacking them.

WIN officially may have been on-board for 1 season but behind the scenes, have been a part of the venture for a while.

I do question however that we take a bid for 50% of the club that is reportedly significantly lower than a competitor. A CEO elects himself whilst looking to appoint to the position he appoints himself to. I also question that the new owner does not provide any further funds past the buy in to a club that needs cash injections. I get concerned that having a company which is owned by a billionaire, allows the club to have a declared TPA figure of $25k

I am hoping that they are looking at all the angles before acting in the best interests of the club, but the longer we wait for that action, the more concerned I get.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Ahh.. Looking for scapegoats rather than looking in the mirror..

Are you McGregor?

getsmarty

Immortal
We apparently knocked back a cut price Morris...the same Morris who was probably in the top 5 players in the GF.

If Correct...ask yourself this...Doesn't the coach normally go for "experienced or Journeymen " type players...Then why no offer in this instance ?,,, Wouldn't be money as dogs were if I remember correctly paying some of the contract...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Just a realist looking for an answer rather than a quick laugh.
A realist wouldn’t be looking at pinning the blame of a decades long problem upon the shoulders of someone who has only been with the club for a year..

Dragon Revival

Juniors
With Widdop and Leilua going our inadequate
pop gun attack will be half the strength that it was in 2019. Timm is also a loss and I doubt that De Belin will be back. What a mess especially with an incompetent and dense person as coach!

Dorsai

Juniors
A realist wouldn’t be looking at pinning the blame of a decades long problem upon the shoulders of someone who has only been with the club for a year..
If you bothered reading it you would see I am not blaming it solely on WIN.

the blame goes way deeper. I am stating that the current situation and that of the future of the club is questionable based on the way things are stacking up. Try reading.

And if you believe that WIN have only been involved for only 1 year you have little understanding of the club and the partnerships history.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If you bothered reading it you would see I am not blaming it solely on WIN.
You said it here:
"Is there a deliberate move by the current board / southern owner to kill off the franchise to the point where they can rebirth it (as they would hold a licence)? Relocation? Renaming? or just an attempt to have a full ownership by starving the un-owned 50% of cash?"