What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We must keep Seage.

Burwood

Bench
Anybody see the article on David Seage in the Daily Telegraph today? It was a good piece on his struggles in the NRL and what he wants to do next year. The article started off with quotes from Andrew Johns calling the Knights management "crazy" for even considering letting him go next year. Johns is a big fan of his and really respects the difficulties that he has experienced since his knee reconstruction back in 2004 (they had a lot of rehab together). He pretty much called him the complete fullback- safe as houses under the high ball, great positional play and also a good support player.

Seage also said that he desperately wants another shot in the NRL and is willing to be paid under the club's 2nd tier salary-cap and work a 2nd job just to stay at the club. He made a very good point that he has only missed a few games this year with a hamstring injury (played about 20 this season all up) and feels that he is over the injuries that have plagued him since his NRL debut.

How can the club seriously consider sending this guy back to the Queensland Cup when he is basically offering his services for free? I don't think that I have seen a guy with such inexperience play the game the way that he does.

The good news was that Knights management were meeting today to discuss his future at the club, so hopefully they can show some foresight and offer him a spot somewhere in 2007.

Alex28

Coach
What has he done wrong to not warrant another contract? He seems to be over his injuries, any chance he has had in first grade this year he has played well - even last year he played well when he was injured (remember the Tigers game where he practically played on one leg?) - at worst he is a great back up for 1 through to 5.

Burwood

Bench
Yeah, the club really has no excuse not to offer him a contract anymore. If a player of his calibre is offering to play under the 2nd tier salary-cap then they would be fools not to sign him up straight away. Ideally Seage would have been offered a decent contract at another club (one where he wouldn't be forced to work another job part-time), so hopefully a lifeline is thrown his way by the Knights and he gets another chance to impress the NRL clubs next year.

Jono078

Referee
I really hope we can re-sign him.

Club would be silly not to re-sign him if we have money available.

Super Sub

Juniors
We MUST keep Seage, if he doesn't get a shot at fullback next year then he can play wing, either way we really need him. He is so reliable and the effort he puts in is arguably a lot more than most other players in the game.

I Think the fact that Thaiday is the number one fullback for you guys, they need another option that can play fullback and in the centres to fill matt gidleys spot

Polglase has been solid in the centres for souths, and i think especially defense wise, is a safer option

I Think the knights dont need two back-up fullbacks, having said that, seage isnt a utility fullback imo, he is very solid at fullback, but todd's defense is very solid, and not only he can play fullback, he can fill into matt gidleys spot

-------------------
i could be miles wrong, as towards whether seage will be kept or not, but thats my take on it

I think Polglase is better, but thats my opinion, polglase better in defence, seage better in attack, but overall, i think defense is more important, and the fact that polglase is a known utility, is definately a bonus for newcastle in 2007

strewth_mate

Bench
Seage deserves a first team spot, I'd feel a bit dirty if he stayed with us to only be consigned to PL. I desparately don't want him to go but if his best opportunities lie elsewhere due to the players entrenched in front of him here, it'd be a massive shame to see the back of him.

The Devil

Bench
I rate Seage as much as the next guy, but where would you play him? He's a tremendous fullback, but so is Thaiday on his day. The thing is, noone knows when he will be on his game. You cannot leave a player with as much game breaking ability as Thaiday out of the team. Ideally Seage would play fullback in defense and Thaiday on the wing, then switch when it turns to offence.

Alex28

Coach
I think he is good enough to push for a first grade starting spot at fullback (or wing) with a coach who is prepared to select on form rather than play favourites. Why wouldn't you at least play him on wing? Outstanding defender, has pace and a decent step. A bit of a no brainer to me...

And for mine - Seage > Polglase.

K-Man

Bench
He played well on the wing earlier this season, there's no reason at all that he can't be a first grade winger for us next year hopefully.

CJKnight

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 has a very good point. Polglase can play back-up fullback in the case of injury just as well as Seage can. Plus he is a Great defender IMO. Some have bagged him and said he is a bad signing. I think for a post-Johns era he is a valuable pick-up.

There is times in any football club where players get lines drawn through their names. At 27 and coming off nasty injuries, Seage is a perfect candidate for that line. Abraham has been lucky he was not selected for that line, whereas Salkeld was unlucky. Seage has been one of the unlucky ones, with a line drawn through his name.

Thiaday should be wearing the #1 for years to come and if he gets injured, Polglase will play back-up from center/wing. I wish Seage hadn't been so unlucky, but it is just the way things are.

We've got younger and better prospects comming up, if his happy to sign in the second tier salary cap and play for pitiance keep him.

Even $50k is a risky amount for this guy though.

northey

First Grade
in RLW they also have an article about seage.
saying the same thing...
that no other clubs want him, he is in talks with the knights, will be shattered if he goes back to the QLD cup

Ben

Bench
He could have been a very fine first grader if he hadn't been so unlucky with injuries without his career. Judging from his few performances in first grade we can see that Seage has talent and is no means a reserve grader. However, Seage is just too injury prone and there is too much risk in trying to develop him as a starting player in the team if he just keeps on getting injured. Unless he can get over his injury problems then we should by all means keep him. And i really feel sorry for Seage. He would've been a really find first grader if he hadn't had his all career disrupted by injury.

K-Man

Bench
He hasn't had a serious injury all year, only a couple of minor ones.
It's a bit tough to still be calling him injury prone when he has spent the season in Premier League.

Its dumb signings like this that leave us dumbfounded as to why we have no room left under the cap.

Yes he has talent, and very impressive when on the field but his too old, as a rule injuries dont just disappear.

Spitty

Juniors
I love Seage but with Thiaday starting and Hinton coming through I don't see where we can play him. Seage is a pure fullback not a winger or centre, his PL form has proved that.

The Qld Cup is most of the NRL's favourite hunting grounds and if he can get a run there, keep injury free and play solidly it won't be long before he's snapped up by another NRL side. Unfortunately I think we need to let him slide.

Jesfery

Juniors
Well I don't see the point in not signing him if its only going to be in the 2nd tier salary-cap...

Surely it cant hurt to have more options.