What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need to bring home Mateo

Avenger

Immortal
I think if we got Thurston we would being able to sign heaps of other players. The question is, how much is the amount you say that is "too much" to pay Thurstom, because we would have to pay him over $1 million a year to get him here. The only way we could have Thurston is if we virtually "swapped" Sandow for him, because were paying Sandow for the next 3 years whether he performs or not.

Big fan of Gillett, I think he is someone to definately have a look at

It's just fantasy I know re: Thurston. Therefore we need a secondary plan and that is Hayne to be our long term 6 when Hoppa comes in 2014. There is really no other alternative unless Kelly pulls something out of his arse at 6 in 2013 and Parra are happy paying Hoppa $800 odd thousand to touch the ball 5 times in the centres.

Iafeta

Referee
I'd be surprised if Feleti signed a contract elsewhere for anything other than a "career contract". As in, I'm going to cash in as I have a limited career timeline. My understanding is he's very keen to stay at the Warriors. He's quite settled there and well established in the team clique.

In respect to Todd Lowrie keeping him out, IIRC, Lowrie basically played 3-4 months or superb, stellar football. Meaningful offloads all over the place, which seems very out of place with the rest of his football career. Interesting that they're now at the same club I guess.

Good luck to you for the season, I feel you are duped a bit with Papalii not coming. He would have been a terrific fit for the Eels. Good luck tomorrow night as well.

lucablight

First Grade
Thanks brother. Look it's difficult but if I was running the club I would go all out for someone Jonathan Thurston and offer him over $1 million a year. Players like him attract other players. If we acquired him we then would have more chance of gaining a player like Matt Gillett who I rate highly and better than Papalii. If we cannot acquire someone like JT we would need to pay at least $600K to gain someone like Gillett and move him from his comfort zone in QLD.

I think Hock from what I have read would be a great addition. In relation to Mateo (whom I adored as a player) I think it is a dangerous signing more a decision made with the heart than head. (remember Todd Lowrie kept him out of the 2009 starting side). Pauli Pauli for mine is a player that we cannot lose. He is the best I have seen in many years. I'd go far as to say that he will be every bit as good as the player that just reneged on us.
I agree. Apart from Mateo, Thurston is the player I would love to see join us the most. As far as forwards go I can't see anyone else off contract who would be a better option. Lowrie only kept Mateo out of the team because it was best for the team at the time. He was coming back from injury and the coach obviously wanted his impact off the bench. He was one of our best players in the 2009 grand final.

Chipmunk

Coach
It's just fantasy I know re: Thurston. Therefore we need a secondary plan and that is Hayne to be our long term 6 when Hoppa comes in 2014. There is really no other alternative unless Kelly pulls something out of his arse at 6 in 2013 and Parra are happy paying Hoppa $800 odd thousand to touch the ball 5 times in the centres.

I really honesty dont ever being able to see Hayne at 6 and Sandow at 7 being a success. For Hayne to become a high quality player as a 6, he needs a high quality organsing 7. Sandow is not that option.

I do agree that Hoppa should eventually probably play in the 1 and Hayne at 6 though.

So what does that mean? Sandow cannot see out his 4 year deal as far as Im concerned.

Avenger

Immortal
I really honesty dont ever being able to see Hayne at 6 and Sandow at 7 being a success. For Hayne to become a high quality player as a 6, he needs a high quality organsing 7. Sandow is not that option.

I do agree that Hoppa should eventually probably play in the 1 and Hayne at 6 though.

So what does that mean? Sandow cannot see out his 4 year deal as far as Im concerned.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns into the next Thurston but I just cannot see Sandow seeing out his contract. Maybe Kelly will take it. Who knows.

yy_cheng

Coach
When judas spits the dummy and wants uncle cleal to be by hus side, he will end up at the dogs and inu will be pushed out to parra

Eels Dude

Coach
I hope I'm wrong and he turns into the next Thurston but I just cannot see Sandow seeing out his contract. Maybe Kelly will take it. Who knows.

I don't think any halfback has served out his contract under Ricky Stuart so the odds are in your favour. Thurston is a pipe-dream and Kelly is still an unknown. The fact that we seem to be keen in Norman suggests that Stuart himself is unsure of Kelly, Sandow and Roberts as halves solutions.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm glad someone sees it like I do. People think Mateo is just all about offloads. He's a big unit and I don't think people realise how good he is at yardage gain and getting through the line.

Cheers. Yeah I think people forget how good he was at hitting the line up, attracting 3 or 4 defenders yet still getting forward momentum as well as just popping offloads. Paulo is only really handy if he plays before the line which limits his abilities as a backrower because he's pretty much useless in games and situations where you just have to grind out hard metres to win the forward battle.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mateo is a great player, and if love him back - but not if his price was so high it cost us Tanginoa, Pauli Pauli, Masinamua and MacGill. Those blokes are our future - I'm annoyed Papalii reneged on his contract, but am confident those kids will step up.

Springbokfly

Juniors
I'm sure many fans on here like myself are becoming increasingly frustrating at missing out on marquee players despite being cashed up for 2014. We all want to see Parramatta do well and it seems apparent that we urgently need to strengthen our playing roster. After everything that's happened one player we need to be chasing hard is Feleti Mateo. He is a genuine match winner and anyone who thinks he wouldn't be a great addition to our team is kidding themselves. Along with his ability to offload his yardage gain is a very underrated aspect of his game. He has also expressed a desire to return to Parramatta someday and now it is time! He should never have been let go in the first place. We are in a perfect position to land him and I would be very disappointed if we can't make it happen. Lets bring him home!

+1

The Colonel

Immortal
Looking forward, moving backwards. Mateo is the exact player we do not need. Another inconsistent but talented player. Yet to realise his true potential it is a step backwards.

Jason Bukuya, Jack Bosden, jack Stockwell, Matt Gillett, Chris Grevshmul. Youngsters with an upside like Papalii who could be persuaded across given the back log of players they have ahead of them.

yy_cheng

Coach
[lQUOTE=Chipmunk;8996139;6144]The best thing I like about Aiden Tolman is that he is the one and only ex Storm player to perform at a similar or better level than what he did in the Storm's system.

This for mine is a very big indicator of a quality player.

Id spend all the Papali money on Tolman[/QUOTE]

Scott hill

Etu Uaisele

Juniors
[lQUOTE=Chipmunk, post: 8996139, member: 6144"]The best thing I like about Aiden Tolman is that he is the one and only ex Storm player to perform at a similar or better level than what he did in the Storm's system.

This for mine is a very big indicator of a quality player.

Id spend all the Papali money on Tolman

Scott hill[/QUOTE]

^^ this ^^ there's no way in the world they could keep him legally .

oldmancraigy

Coach
We might as well throw the cash at Robbie Farah now?

At least make the Tiges pay for him with the match, then pick off 3 of their juniors at $150k each. They have some real good talent there at the moment.

Perhaps we should also be throwing big bucks at Shannon Boyd from the Raiders? Massive prop OR Anthony Milford - tremendous talent in the halves.

spiderdan

Bench
If the option to get him back to parra were available I reckon under the new cap Mateo is worth $450k pa for three years. He and hayne would be awesome.

Iafeta

Referee
Looking forward, moving backwards. Mateo is the exact player we do not need. Another inconsistent but talented player. Yet to realise his true potential it is a step backwards.

Jason Bukuya, Jack Bosden, jack Stockwell, Matt Gillett, Chris Grevshmul. Youngsters with an upside like Papalii who could be persuaded across given the back log of players they have ahead of them.

I don't think he's been inconsistent at all for the Warriors. Even last year, for mine he was second only to Matulino in a very poor year. What I like about him is not just the offloads and the short passing game, its his work rate. He's usually getting the ball flat at the line and hitting it up in behind the ruck every second set, and because of his late footwork he seems to get good ruck speed. He's been excellent from the outset for us.