What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need to start training some NZ refs

babyg

Juniors
With the number of games needing neutral refs it makes sense that the NRL should have a crop of the NZ refs that we can use for tests and/or origins

lockyno1

Post Whore
No thanks, do not EVER want a NZ ref for Origin football! The game is an AUSTRALIAN showpiece event, not a Australia/NZ game!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn't hurt to have two NZ refs being trained for the NRL. SL has done it with a french ref. They could then ref Int games for the Sthern Hemisphere.

I wouldn't mind it. Wouldn't mind some of the top NZ refs given a go.
If they can do it, regardless of country origin they should be given a shot.

No thanks, do not EVER want a NZ ref for Origin football! The game is an AUSTRALIAN showpiece event, not a Australia/NZ game!

Haha.
If players like Tonie Carroll and Brad Thorn are eligible, why shouldn't a NZ referee be?
The Origin referee should be picked on ability, not nationality.

Meth

Staff member
Origin doesn't need NZ refs.

Internationals do and the NRL could be used as a training ground. I can't see them being too off the pace.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Haha.
If players like Tonie Carroll and Brad Thorn are eligible, why shouldn't a NZ referee be?
The Origin referee should be picked on ability, not nationality.

It is an Australian trial, it should have Australian referees, it is the 2nd highest honour in the game. I don't want it cheapened by giving it to Kiwi refs who don't understand the tribal rivalry. Carroll and Thorn were playing for QLD (i.e. were eligible for Australia)

Noa

First Grade
Be out of Ricky Stuart or Des Hasler to see who whinges first if the ref gets a Warriors game theyre involved in.

The NRL has said before that refs can only make the NRL if they uproot and move to Sydney. It's ridiculous really. They spend (waste) hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on useless video refs and touchies, two refs per game and referees bosses like Finch and Harrigan yet they reckon they can't have professional referees living anywhere other than Sydney. It doesn't make sense. There is bound to be at least a couple of Kiwi refs who would be better than many of the current NRL refs but you can't blame them for not wanting to quit their jobs, try and migrate to Australia, live in Sydney and work their way up to a full-time NRL contract.

Be out of Ricky Stuart or Des Hasler to see who whinges first if the ref gets a Warriors game theyre involved in.

Tim Sheens would be a contender to. but it wouldn't be whinging because he'd say we're not using it as an excuse.

It is an Australian trial, it should have Australian referees, it is the 2nd highest honour in the game. I don't want it cheapened by giving it to Kiwi refs who don't understand the tribal rivalry. Carroll and Thorn were playing for QLD (i.e. were eligible for Australia)

Yes...but both were born in New Zealand. As was Karmichael Hunt. The former two representing New Zealand in test sporting levels. So, can a referee be born in New Zealand, go to Queensland then understand the tribal rivalry.

And you speaking about trival rivalry when you label it a trial.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Karmicahel was living in Australia since he was a kid, he was Australian, lol if you call the disater World Cup league had a "test sporting level". It was barely a contest, and to be honest Carroll was not alone in playing for other sides. Thorn is a terrible example as he did not play league for NZ.

NZ refs do not know the rivalry, there are just some things that should be kept the way they are. I am all for a NZ ref (if they are good enough) to ref the grand final, but Origin should be as Australian as possible, as it involves Australian states.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Ahhh Brad Thorn... Played for Australia in the League... And currently playing for the All-blacks.

Now THERE is someone who understands rivalry :sarcasm:

Karmicahel was living in Australia since he was a kid, he was Australian, lol if you call the disater World Cup league had a "test sporting level". It was barely a contest, and to be honest Carroll was not alone in playing for other sides. Thorn is a terrible example as he did not play league for NZ.

NZ refs do not know the rivalry, there are just some things that should be kept the way they are. I am all for a NZ ref (if they are good enough) to ref the grand final, but Origin should be as Australian as possible, as it involves Australian states.

Shut the f*ck up.

Meth

Staff member
refs should be appointed on their ability, not their nationality

Equally so, refs should only be hindered by their ability, not their nationality. Like somebody else said, there are most likely a couple of referees with more capability than some of the rabble on display in the NRL this year.

In saying that, I suppose the requirement for NRL referees to relocate to Sydney is not that unrealistic. The NRL is their employer and they need to be in Sydney for their training and employment- not an outlandish request.

The best case scenario is that we have world class Rugby League referees from every Test playing nation at least. The NRL can have a part to play in developing New Zealand referees to their standards and then, in four years time, Sheens or whoever else won't need to whinge when Ganson or whoever else gets picked to officiate an Australia v England fixture.

griff

Bench
Equally so, refs should only be hindered by their ability, not their nationality. Like somebody else said, there are most likely a couple of referees with more capability than some of the rabble on display in the NRL this year.

In saying that, I suppose the requirement for NRL referees to relocate to Sydney is not that unrealistic. The NRL is their employer and they need to be in Sydney for their training and employment- not an outlandish request.

The best case scenario is that we have world class Rugby League referees from every Test playing nation at least. The NRL can have a part to play in developing New Zealand referees to their standards and then, in four years time, Sheens or whoever else won't need to whinge when Ganson or whoever else gets picked to officiate an Australia v England fixture.

What you could do though is bring them in for a relatively short period, say 4 weeks, to train with the NRL referees, officiate a couple of Toyota Cup games, then officiate in one or two NRL games. Especially with two refs now, we could have them ref with a senior ref.

That way they wouldn't have to quit their jobs and move to Sydney but they would still gain experience that would allow them to officiate test matches, and more importantly give Australia no reason to whinge.

The stupid thing is we had neutral refs years ago and nobody minded, we could do it again. The 1988 World Cup Final in NZ was reffed by a guy from PNG.

Latest posts