What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We should fine the NRL $10,000

morley101

Juniors
boring yes, but its also very accurate.

Those 50/50 decisions against Melb were a dead set disgrace! I hate Melb as much as the next guy but any other game this year both of those have been called nothing but tries. How was Pomeroy's try called a try the very next day after Sisa was called a no try with the video ref having to prove 100% he got it down?

No so much as against Melb...but pro Souths... Souths are wanted in the grand final.

Card Shark

Immortal
You could see the ball down from where the touch judge was standing for Pomeroy. You could not see the ball get down from any angle at all with Waqa. Simple, deal with it.

I agree.

In all likelyhood, Waqa got it to the grass but I couldn't be totally sure.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
And there is a clear difference between intentionally interfering and interference caused by colliding with a blocker.

Quit your whinging, there was an illegal hit on a player contesting the ball, its just luck he bumped into Merrit or he would have ended up on his head much like Waqa did later in the game.

Last edited:

Smirrors

Juniors
So we should give it a try because he collided with Goodwin before colliding with Merritt? You can make assumptions about his intent to go for the ball, but they are just assumptions. The actual result was he clumsily bumped Merritt away from the ball rather than actually contesting the catch

The game that I watched, Chambers had his eye on the ball the whole time and was well on his way to contesting had it not been for the block.

Smirrors

Juniors
This paper is single handedly responsible for a decline in interest in the NRL this year. The negative reporting has gone up a notch to ridiculous levels.

And before anyone says "they're just reporting the news" - no, they're applying excessive scrutiny and offering far too much bullshit editorial. There's a reasonable amount of scrutiny to be applied to any sport... the Tele goes above and beyond.

So rather than blame the players continuously bringing the game into disrepute, the shocking referee decisions week to week, imbalance of top sides vs bottoms sides, piss poor scheduling etc you decide to blame the media? No doubt they may excessively report on these matters but they are not the reason why there is a decline in interest in NRL.

This is not a defence of a shit newspaper but the direction the game is heading is due to mismanagement of the product itself.

Gmac

Juniors
What I don't understand, in one sentence they say the things we have copied off the afl Arnt working and don't apply to rugby league then in the next paragraph, they go on about adopting the ridiculous afl draft system. Yep. Makes sense. :crazy:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So rather than blame the players continuously bringing the game into disrepute, the shocking referee decisions week to week, imbalance of top sides vs bottoms sides, piss poor scheduling etc you decide to blame the media? No doubt they may excessively report on these matters but they are not the reason why there is a decline in interest in NRL.

This is not a defence of a shit newspaper but the direction the game is heading is due to mismanagement of the product itself.

I'm guilty of hyperbole - the Tele isn't single handedly responsible, but they are one of the biggest reasons there are negative perceptions of the game out there. I don't doubt for a second there are problems within the game in need of fixing (when hasn't there been?), but the "sky is falling" mentality is what's permeated throughout their pages this season, culminating in this agenda-driven, spiteful and in parts poorly-researched article.

Let's look at some facts.

- The NRL can't control what the players do. No code can. They can provide education - hell as per the Eels they can issue a huge set of guidelines, put in place measures, offer paid cabs... and STILL a dickhead will be a dickhead. You can't legislate stupidity.

- shocking referee decisions week to week? Because of the drama, hysteria and hype (some justified, some not) around individual instances, the media has been able to paint a negative picture and drum up hysteria. Worse still, too many fans are looking for excuses (I'm guilty of this too) for their team not performing... so the easy way out is to blame officials for some random decision.

- Imbalance of top sides vs bottom sides? That happens in every league in every country in every code across the f**king planet :lol:

- Piss poor scheduling? THAT is definitely a Tele-driven bullshit piece. Crowds and ratings can be down for any number of reasons (yes, including interest), but you can hardly blame a fixed schedule for that. The scheduling decisions were largely the same as last year - Parra despite being last still had Friday nights nailed down. Same as the Tigers. Dragons too. Even us when we were playing like arse in the first 10 rounds. Those decisions would all have been made regardless of whether they happened in November or 5 weeks ahead, regardless of the ladder. Half the complaints about the schedule came about the final 6 rounds layout... the one that WAS laid out 5 weeks ahead. The problem is NOT with the fixed schedule - it's with the people in charge of picking the games.

What I've talked about above - we've been talking about the same things at the same level of concern for years. None of it is any different as to pre-commission or pre-Smith, it's the same crap with a different boss. The ONLY difference? News Ltd are no longer the governing body, so they want to undermine the product by making the stories as negative as can be.

jonno_knights

Juniors
On the refs, I think they have been better this year than last. the change of the video ref ruling has been ten times better. Coaches have always whinged about refs and then the fans feel justified in doing the same. FFS they were trying to blame the NRL for the game clock at Allianz, how is that their responsibility? Now the media just jumps on it as well, the worse decision ever? FFS give it a rest. If a 7 tackle try happens again in next two years then the NRL needs crucifying but if they put it right so it doesn't happen again then they are doing their job. Its called continuous improvement! Perfection is a myth perprtuated by people with agendas.

Not sure what happened there, but why did it take so long to resume play? surely the video ref or another match official is in charge of time keeping, why cant they just press the siren themselves / relay the message down to the on-field official..

Has anyone actually gone back to the game footage and see if they didnt just pull a figure out of their asses? cause it seemed to go for an age...

just went back and had a look at the replay, and the game went 15seconds too long.... I bet the cowboys wouldnt have been complaining about if they scored a try during those 15 seconds, which IMO is a much worse mistake then a 7 tackle set as the time keeper has 1 job, not plenty of things to focus on like the onfield refs.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
So rather than blame the players continuously bringing the game into disrepute,

This old chestnut. Players don't continuously bring the game into disrepute. A few odd incidents aside, NRL players are well behaved most of the time. The negative stories we do hear are hugely exaggerated most of the time or are continually rehashed to fill column inches of the DT/CM rags.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Murdoch Jnr wanted the NRL for Ch 10 & he did not get it,the Murdochs also lost first and last rights on the way to getting the billion dollars the NRL had it removed.
If you want to know why NEWS LTD are down on Rugby League it is because they have been told to by the Murdoch family,Murdoch Jnr is not happy his channel 10 gets trashed every week he has no top sport to help his ratings.
Why do you think they sacked Williams from Foxtel,NEWS LTD papers don't ask questions when told what to think and say,they just ask how high,they are a pack of gutless bastards.
You cant blame it all on The Tele,there were some bad or should I say stupid decisions on the Weekend two out of town teams as well don't help.
Crowd pulling teams absent from finals,the NRL should intervene in Parra,as they have at Wests,they should also make it clear to players who walk out that they will not be allowed to play for another club till the old contract expires.
Also Managers should be required to post a 1 million dollar bond which they will lose if the collude tamper or encourage their clients to walk out of their club, and club who encourage and signs them should get the same treatment.

Loudstrat

Coach
Why the f*ck are people whinging at f*cking Melbourne getting "dudded" n two 50/50 calls? When did we ever decide that those merkins ever deserved fairness? F*cking hell, when did Souffs ever do anything as haneous as the worlds biggest rorters?

F*ck Melbourne. F*ck Slater - teflon Billy and kis knees/kicks. F*ck the home of the grapple, chicken wing and crusher. F*ck them!!!!!!!!!!!Anyone whinging at those calls needs to urgently see a GP to ask why their balls havent dropped yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Melbourne were in the GF and lost the game on a match winning try given on the f*cking 20th tackle, I would applaud that!

gUt

Coach
I guess it would be fair to speculate that whatever angst the Cows fans are feeling pales into nothingness next to the rage of your typical Parramatta fan who remembers 2009.

Smirrors

Juniors
F*cking hell, when did Souffs ever do anything as haneous as the worlds biggest rorters?

People love to kick a team when they're down (see trolls) and so when that same team is doing well and on the rise, people like to try and bring them down again.

At the end of the day Melbourne, despite the rorting, have shown themselves to still be a champion team and Souths have yet to win a modern day premiership. Just have a look at how many people in recent years have respect Manly's effort, its equally disgusting.

firechild

First Grade
When through the entire season they have called similar put downs as a try before sending it up, yes.

I can recall 2 incidents where similar tries were called as no-try by the on-field ref. Matai against Souffs is the obvious one. The whole world could see it was a try but there was no conclusive proof so the no-try decision stood. 2 weeks later, Pearce scored an almost identical try. On-field ref said no-try and despite a similar lack of evidence, the video ref overturned the decision. Fact is there is no consistency in any part of the process.