What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webb

Alex28

Coach
Newcastle must be the most unpopular team in the NRL......

No one wants to come here..

I think we will fold in a couple of years, the club has too many average players and no high quality stars...
Jesus...emo much?

We dodged a massive bullet and you are all depressed suggesting the sky is falling? This is an opportunity to get some quality next year, not buy more crap this year.

There is nothing suggesting that we have to do all of our recruiting this year.

macavity

Referee
Not upset by our recruiting for next year. I think we have done ok in the circumstances.

The NRL royally screwed us with the salary cap changes, but what is new there. Whatever suits the Broncos is the order of the day.

Signing Webb would have taken us from a B- to a C, so no dramas from me on missing out.

I like that we have targeted NYC stars, and Costigan could be an absolute gun. I think we land O'Donnell (which was much MUCH closer than you know) and we are all looking towards next year with anticipation.

We have never been a buying club and it sorta shows in our bumbling this year, but we will learn from it.

We get a decent run with injuries next year and we have given ourselves every opportunity to go top 8, and improve on that again in 2012.

We are going to have to do it the old-fashioned (read: Newcastle) way - develop our own, and punch above our weight. Not upset at that.

Not upset by our recruiting for next year. I think we have done ok in the circumstances.

The NRL royally screwed us with the salary cap changes, but what is new there. Whatever suits the Broncos is the order of the day.

Signing Webb would have taken us from a B- to a C, so no dramas from me on missing out.

I like that we have targeted NYC stars, and Costigan could be an absolute gun. I think we land O'Donnell (which was much MUCH closer than you know) and we are all looking towards next year with anticipation.

We have never been a buying club and it sorta shows in our bumbling this year, but we will learn from it.

We get a decent run with injuries next year and we have given ourselves every opportunity to go top 8, and improve on that again in 2012.

We are going to have to do it the old-fashioned (read: Newcastle) way - develop our own, and punch above our weight. Not upset at that.

This I dont think it can be understated enough, it allowed clubs to keep solid players and go on the market for 1-2 other solid players.

Sure we had the same situation, but based on the drugs scandal, new coach we were always behind the 8 ball and only had a huge kitty to play with which no doubt would have got atleast a couple more classy players if it wasnt for the NRL and their big Melbourne assist.

Next year with a clean slate, solid offseason and hopefully being contenders from the get go with all our major players fit for the offseason we can get that 2 players that are stopping us from being a powerhouse.

macavity

Referee
just want to add, while we are maintaining the rage, who out of our full-strength team do you drop?

My only probable drop would be Tolar - but everyone is calling for Eddie to get a run (with justification IMO), so that fills up the 17.

If we got another young prop and another young outside back, both with oodles of potential, I would be absolutely stoked. Don't care if it is from our NYC or outside.

When we click we can beat anyone in the comp. Maybe we need to focus on playing smarter and healthier, instead of adding bodies for the sake of it.

Pika

Bench
I wish we were Parra... at least they have quality players.

I'd kill to have Moi Moi, Tahu, Burt, Reddy, Hindmarsh, Horo, Mannah etc etc

Add Jarryd Hayne, who has more talent then any of our top 25

Now they have added Webb and almost certainly Maitua...

Their roster sh*ts on ours from above

Really?

Eels with that squad started the season as favs and finished below even us.

Seriously, you would rather have the Eels team?

They are the biggest under performers in the comp, regardless who finishes below them on the table.

Allstar Knights

Juniors

Yeah, because Gidley, Mullen, Uate, Taia, De Gois aren't quality players are they? :sarcasm:

Edit: Reddy and Burt are average lol. Would you honestly think they would waltz straight into our backline? Burt would never get a start over McManus/Uate and neither would Reddy over Sau/MacDougall and i'd even have Likiliki over him

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
:( Oh dear, not another Parramatta 'victory'. I'm sure the club will be lamenting the one that got away when he's playing 15 minutes off the bench in NSW Cup.

Their are some players from the Eels I'd love to have in our Top 25 (Mannah especially) but when you start pulling Tahu and Reddy into it, the argument loses all credibility.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
:( Oh dear, not another Parramatta 'victory'. I'm sure the club will be lamenting the one that got away when he's playing 15 minutes off the bench in NSW Cup.

Their are some players from the Eels I'd love to have in our Top 25 (Mannah especially) but when you start pulling Tahu and Reddy into it, the argument loses all credibility.
Would love to have Mannah. I'd even have him over Snowden

red and blue

Juniors
Our recruitment may not have been what every body thought it might be but we have only lost Coops.

We have only just missed the eight this year.

We signed a Queensland state of origin forward a young halfback that half the comp wanted.

A center that has made the u20s team of the yr 2 yrs in a row and a up and coming backrower.

Now I know that we missed out on a few higher profile names but we are not a Sydney side and therefore cannot compete with the lifestyles some of these prima donas want.

Last edited:

Their roster sh*ts on ours from above[/QUOT
Where are they sitting on the table with all those superstars below us are they not.
I understand your frustration but anyone who dose not want to be here then we dont want.
I think the recruitment of some of the young up and comers are good buys.
Parramatta are a very talented team with little patience to win tight games. I think we have been solid without being spectacular in our recruitment. Costigan is proving by the week he could be the buy of 2011.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
This I dont think it can be understated enough, it allowed clubs to keep solid players and go on the market for 1-2 other solid players.

Sure we had the same situation, but based on the drugs scandal, new coach we were always behind the 8 ball and only had a huge kitty to play with which no doubt would have got atleast a couple more classy players if it wasnt for the NRL and their big Melbourne assist.

Next year with a clean slate, solid offseason and hopefully being contenders from the get go with all our major players fit for the offseason we can get that 2 players that are stopping us from being a powerhouse.
I think if Henry, KOD and Likiliki prove to be a success I can see us going after more NYC stars next year and personally I don't mind that at all. I'm sick of signing duds like Reynoldsen, Andrew Price, Shannon McDonnell, etc, I'd rather we take a punt with youngsters who could turn out to be stars as opposed to duds who could turn out to be solid players. I mean look at some of the guys who have graduated from NYC in the past year; Andrew Fifita, Mose Masoe, Matt Duffie, Justin O'Neill, Dylan Farrell, Simon Dwyer, Trent Merrin, etc. Henry and Likiliki have shown just as much if not more than any of those guys at NYC level so there's no reason why they wont be just as much of a success

Spot On

Coach

Parra certainly could have finished much better on the table this year if they had a halves pairing with even some small drop of talent and a better number nine. However, Tahu and Reddy are far from quality players. Tahu in particular has been very, very average this season. I like what Poore and Mannah do for Parra when they come off the bench but for some bizzare reason Tim Mannah had been getting f**k all game time really. I don't understand why Anderson doesn't use him more. Moi Moi has been well below that rampaging form he carried into the latter part of last season as well.

aqua_duck

Coach
Seriously Doogs>Tahu
Tahu was my fave player when he was here but he's been nothing short of crap this year