What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webcke retires from Rep footy

Has he made the right decision?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

slava

Juniors
Webcke retires from rep scene
Monday April 04, 2005

Broncos’ hard man Shane Webcke today announced that he will be stepping down from representative rugby league, effective immediately.

The veteran of 215* matches for the Broncos, 18 Tests for Australia and 21 State of Origin appearances for Queensland, Webcke has finally surrendered to a chronic knee injury. The man rated the No.1 prop in the game for the past five seasons, has made what he describes as the “inevitable” decision.

“I know this sounds like a contradiction, but I am not retiring perse – I have been forced in to making this decision,” said a poignant Webcke.

“I have a degenerating knee problem that has required surgery twice in the past six months. At the moment it is very manageable, but with the additional trauma placed on it by the heavy work load of a rep reason, I know something will give.

“Quite simply, if I did not have this injury problem, I would not be making this announcement today.”

Webcke said he suffered his first knee injury back in 1996 – a dislocated knee cap – and the injury had become progressively worse. Last season he underwent arthroscopic surgery on the knee in a Brisbane hospital on the Sunday following the semi-final against Melbourne, but courageously played six days later in the preliminary final against the Cowboys.

He compared his knee to the wearing tyre on a car, saying there were only a certain number of kilometres remaining.

“While I am naturally disappointed that I will never pull on the Queensland or Australian jersey again, I have an obligation to the Broncos to fulfil the remainder of my contract (2005, 2006) with this club,” he said.

“I want to honour that commitment and I feel there is enough in the knee to complete the rest of those kilometres.”

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said he was not surprised by the decision made by Webcke, but realised many rugby league fans would be both shocked and disappointed.

“I can say with all honesty that I have never met a more competitive athlete than Shane Webcke and I know that if he could manage both club and rep football, he would,” Cullen said.

“Shane and I have discussed this issue at some length in the past year or so, and I was aware this decision was imminent. And while I realise there are plenty of good players who will be vying to replace Shane, rep footy just won’t be the same without the big bloke out there.

“In fact, it is hard to image State of Origin without Shane taking the ball from the kick-off and being smashed by five or six Blues forwards, and still doing the same thing in the 80th minute – with exactly the same dedication.”

Webcke has been a permanent fixture in both Queensland Australian teams for the past seven seasons. Since he was elevated to both Test and Origin status in 1998, Webcke has missed selection in these rep teams only because of injury. In 2001 he withdrew from the Kangaroo Tour for personal reasons.

Shane Webcke’s record:

NRL - 1995-2004 (including 1997 Super League matches): 206
Super League World Club Championship - 1997: 8
World Club Challenge - 2001 (V St Helens): 1
ARL Tests -1998-2004: 19
Super League Tests – 1997: 1
State of Origin – 1998-2004 (Queensland): 21
Super League Tri-Series – 1997 (Queensland): 3

shit that's no good!

Jordan

Juniors
Wow.. interesting news.. I guess this means Carl Webb is a certainty to partner Steve Price in the front row...and Shane Tronc might get a look in on the bench.

Balmain_Boy

slava said:
Webcke retires from rep scene
Monday April 04, 2005

Broncos’ hard man Shane Webcke today announced that he will be stepping down from representative rugby league, effective immediately.

The veteran of 215* matches for the Broncos, 18 Tests for Australia and 21 State of Origin appearances for Queensland, Webcke has finally surrendered to a chronic knee injury. The man rated the No.1 prop in the game for the past five seasons, has made what he describes as the “inevitable” decision.

“I know this sounds like a contradiction, but I am not retiring perse – I have been forced in to making this decision,” said a poignant Webcke.

“I have a degenerating knee problem that has required surgery twice in the past six months. At the moment it is very manageable, but with the additional trauma placed on it by the heavy work load of a rep reason, I know something will give.

“Quite simply, if I did not have this injury problem, I would not be making this announcement today.”

Webcke said he suffered his first knee injury back in 1996 – a dislocated knee cap – and the injury had become progressively worse. Last season he underwent arthroscopic surgery on the knee in a Brisbane hospital on the Sunday following the semi-final against Melbourne, but courageously played six days later in the preliminary final against the Cowboys.

He compared his knee to the wearing tyre on a car, saying there were only a certain number of kilometres remaining.

“While I am naturally disappointed that I will never pull on the Queensland or Australian jersey again, I have an obligation to the Broncos to fulfil the remainder of my contract (2005, 2006) with this club,” he said.

“I want to honour that commitment and I feel there is enough in the knee to complete the rest of those kilometres.”

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said he was not surprised by the decision made by Webcke, but realised many rugby league fans would be both shocked and disappointed.

“I can say with all honesty that I have never met a more competitive athlete than Shane Webcke and I know that if he could manage both club and rep football, he would,” Cullen said.

“Shane and I have discussed this issue at some length in the past year or so, and I was aware this decision was imminent. And while I realise there are plenty of good players who will be vying to replace Shane, rep footy just won’t be the same without the big bloke out there.

“In fact, it is hard to image State of Origin without Shane taking the ball from the kick-off and being smashed by five or six Blues forwards, and still doing the same thing in the 80th minute – with exactly the same dedication.”

Webcke has been a permanent fixture in both Queensland Australian teams for the past seven seasons. Since he was elevated to both Test and Origin status in 1998, Webcke has missed selection in these rep teams only because of injury. In 2001 he withdrew from the Kangaroo Tour for personal reasons.

Shane Webcke’s record:

NRL - 1995-2004 (including 1997 Super League matches): 206
Super League World Club Championship - 1997: 8
World Club Challenge - 2001 (V St Helens): 1
ARL Tests -1998-2004: 19
Super League Tests – 1997: 1
State of Origin – 1998-2004 (Queensland): 21
Super League Tri-Series – 1997 (Queensland): 3

sh*t that's no good!

Darth Bobo

His presence on the field will be missed by the maroons.

Webke is one of the few through and through Qlders that people south of the border can still be a fan of. Tough, uncompromising and committed team player, he's a proven performer week in week out.

Although Webb's form is smoking at the moment he doesnt have Webke's reliability. Big loss for the Maroons IMO.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Jordan said:
Wow.. interesting news.. I guess this means Carl Webb is a certainty to partner Steve Price in the front row...and Shane Tronc might get a look in on the bench.

if you're reffering to the maroons, then I think Civ and Ben Ross may disagree with you

Mr Saab

Referee
I think he made the right decision. He has given 7 quality yrs to the NRL rep scene and can be extremely proud of his achievements. Its better to go out on top.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good move in my opinion. Webcke has been one of the great front rowers of the modern era but last season he was starting to struggle a bit, by retiring from rep duties he can ensure he puts in at least one more good season for the Broncos. It also ensures he doesn't end his rep career by being overlooked for selection, which nobody really wants to see happen.

Snoop

Coach
It's almost like a death in the family for us QLD supporters.

When decked out in maroon Webke had Billy Moore's spirit, Larson's workrate and pack leadership of Beetson. He leaves a huge hole in the engine room.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Aprt from the Pacific Highway, Webcke is the best thing to come out of Queensland. I can't remember him ever getting penalised - not bad for a long serving rep front rower. With a broken arm, he was responsible for killing our 200 season.

Can't understand why he never captained the Broncos. He shat over Tallis in so many ways.

innsaneink

Referee
Luke Ricketson fears nightclubs, Michael Crocker doesnt..
Brett Firman = buy of the yr cough cough..
Brisbane beat the "benchmark" 40-22..
Lockyer will be Australian captain..
Qld will win SOO 2-1..
Tigers will win the spoon..i think!
Brisbane will win the comp

Saab ....................change ur sig.

Brisbane......................benchmark?

For what?

Most pathetic loss?

50-4

:lol: :lol:

Jordan

Juniors
Pierced Soul said:
Jordan said:

if you're reffering to the maroons, then I think Civ and Ben Ross may disagree with you

Ah yes, I forgot about those two...

A couple of years ago this would've been an absolute disaster for QLD... If still is a shame he has chosen to retire, but there is definitely more depth in the front row these days for Queensland..

Mr Saab

Referee
innsaneink said:
Qld will win SOO 2-1..

For what?

Most pathetic loss?

50-4

where in my sig does it say the broncos are the benchmark? i dont believe in that sh!t.However alot of Roosters do and the Broncos beat them 40-22...that does NOT mean the Broncos are the benchmark.
You are a Tigers supporter right? Enough said. Try making the semis.

Kiwi

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Qld will win SOO 2-1..

For what?

Most pathetic loss?

50-4

I guess reading isn't high on the list of requirments when it comes to being a Tigers fan is it. If you can't find someone in your family who can read properly, find a neighbour who can and they'll be able to explain that in his sig he clearly says ... Brisbane beat the "benchmark" 40-22.. not Brisbane are the benchmark.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Exciting forward for Queensland and Australia and will be missed. :cry:

Sad to see him go, but I think its probably the right decision, I mean he wants to concentrate on club football and also family which is important.

Best of Luck Shane.

Best Webcke moment: Those offloads in that test match against NZL in 2003. Brilliant to watch.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
He's done the right thing. He's turning 31 and carrying a knee injury and with so many good young props coming through, standing down is the honourable thing to do. Having said that though, Origin won't be the same without Webcke. It will take some getting used to seeing someone else wearing the #8 for the Maroons.

Latest posts