What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 3: Preliminary finals 21/9-22/9 2018

T.S Quint

Coach
This is pulled from my memory banks so I'll throw in a disclaimer. Wasn't there a final in 2009 where Hayne slid into Morris in goal, led with his knees after a try was scored and Hayne got off then went on to play in the GF?

It’s a diffeeent situation. I think Hayne could have argued his way out of that one, as he was one of two players attacking a bouncing ball in the in-goal area. The Canterbury player did not have hold of the ball, so Hayne had every right to go for it. Unfortunately the Canterbury player got to it first, and Hayne bumped him with his knees.

In any case, Hayne was charged and he pleaded guilty. He was lucky that he had no carry over points, so he was allowed to play in the GF.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
It’s a diffeeent situation. I think Hayne could have argued his way out of that one, as he was one of two players attacking a bouncing ball in the in-goal area. The Canterbury player did not have hold of the ball, so Hayne had every right to go for it. Unfortunately the Canterbury player got to it first, and Hayne bumped him with his knees.

In any case, Hayne was charged and he pleaded guilty. He was lucky that he had no carry over points, so he was allowed to play in the GF.

It wasn't his knees, it was his hip/bum

Gronk

Staff member
To me it isn't the same penalty, because all games aren't worth the same. Missing a finals game or an origin is a much greater penalty than missing a regular season game. So you can say they're both missing "a game" so it's fair but IMO it isn't. I remember a few years ago someone got suspended at the end of the season for a number of games and were allowed to count missed trial games as 'games'...just as nonsensical.
It's all good mate, I've had this rant before and I know my opinion is in the minority.

IIRC a jockey can serve a riding ban but not miss the BIG races ? I heard that somewhere. If that was in place at the start of the NRL season, then I would be fine with that, however you can’t change policy on the run.

In any event, Slater is retiring, so he would still need to miss the match under that scenario.

In my opinion, an offence should carry the same penalty weight, regardless of when it occurs - otherwise, how does it serve as a deterrent (which is the whole point of suspensions in the first place)?

and as soon as you say that a penalty shouldn't disqualify someone from a grand final then in every prelim final coaches will tell their players to go take out key opposition players knowing that they won't be suspended for it

Eelementary

Post Whore
To me it isn't the same penalty, because all games aren't worth the same. Missing a finals game or an origin is a much greater penalty than missing a regular season game. So you can say they're both missing "a game" so it's fair but IMO it isn't. I remember a few years ago someone got suspended at the end of the season for a number of games and were allowed to count missed trial games as 'games'...just as nonsensical.
It's all good mate, I've had this rant before and I know my opinion is in the minority.

All good, mate - I see where you're coming from, and I respect your opinion.

Last edited:
IIRC a jockey can serve a riding ban but not miss the BIG races ? I heard that somewhere. If that was in place at the start of the NRL season, then I would be fine with that, however you can’t change policy on the run.

In any event, Slater is retiring, so he would still need to miss the match under that scenario.
I think jockeys can get some leeway by choosing to appeal but can also miss big races. Bowman wanted to ride Winx in a certain race but couldn't avoid suspension.

and as soon as you say that a penalty shouldn't disqualify someone from a grand final then in every prelim final coaches will tell their players to go take out key opposition players knowing that they won't be suspended for it
I don't believe that will happen. Plenty of players retire without going Berko in their last game.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Looks like Cronk is gone.

Scans have revealed that Cronk sustained a severe left rotator cuff injury.

Rehabilitation on the injury has commenced and he will be given until kick off to prove his fitness.

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2018/09/23/injury-report--cooper-cronk/

If he is given until kick-off and doesn't pass they'll have to play with 16 players as teams need to be finalised an hour before kick-off.

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was at game. What a bore. A snooze fest. Rubish tries. No breaks. Horrid game.

All cause reffs let guys lay on guys in tackle. Suited roosters more then souths big powerfull Boys and skillfull backs.

Terrible experience for a finals game. No atmosphere either. I was at the 2009 eels vs dogs. That was something. The crowd last night was quiet. It was rubbish.

Worse part is food costs.

Mars bar - $5.50
Pie - $6.60
Bottle of water was around $5.50
Pie,chips,coke combo $16.

Jam that up your assholes NRL. f**king robbery. I can get a mars nar for 85c when on special which is every 2nd week at supermarket. These merkins would pay about 50 cents for the f**king things. Absalute joke. Hope our new stadium offers decent priced food.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was hungry but I wasn't giving in to those theifs.
Its bullshit that they can fix prices when all caged in. Beyond reasonable.
$3 for water or mar bar is high but yes reasonable.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ive had both mine done. Fuc*en intense pain. Cant even wipe ya ass so how one would play footy is beyond my comprehension. Incredible effort last night. Broken cheekbones, broken jaws, yep I get that. Ouch, but shoulder pain. Ouch plus.