What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week one semi

ebbedfred

Bench
With the Minor premiership all but finalised, next week will give the Dragons a game to fine tune things. Without looking past the rabbits, ummm, looking past the rabbits mathematically we could still play the Raiders, Broncos, Rabbits, Manly, Roosters or Warriors.

Realistically I can't see us playing anyone other than the Raiders. I can't see the Bronco's beating Canberra by more than 15, I can't see the Cowboys beating the Roosters, I can't see the Eels beating the Warriors by many if any, and I think Manly will beat the Dogs at home.

Unless there is an upset somewhere, I think we'll be looking at Canberra week one of the semi. Last year we finished first and ran into the "form team" in week one, a very strong chance it will happen again.

Many will be nervous against our "hoodoo side", and I think Canberra are a very good team who are on fire. Will be a VERY tough game. Hopefully the Dragons will see this as a game of redemption, and I think IF they beat Canberra week one it will give them a huge confidence boost going into a GF qualifier, on the flip side a loss COULD play havoc with our confidence.

Time will tell if it comes to fruition, anyone think we likley to meet anyone else?

smi962

First Grade
who knows who we will play, but I think it will be Canberra. I like our chance of winning with a full strength side at home. Home ground advantage is the key. We eventually have to win one against them...

The Major

Bench
Remember last years semi final? We were pretty much Parramattas hoodoo side. Moreso after the touch up we gave them the week before. And look what happened......

Keep the faith.

Godz Illa

Coach
Canberra fans are already cocky about their chances and it's easy to believe some of the young Raiders players would be feeling the same way. This can lead to complacency, and considering the stakes will be much higher for us this time around, and the fact we'll have Scott and Smith back on board, at our home ground... there is nothing to fear but fear itself

thommo4pm

Coach
I want to play Canberra in week 1 of the finals.

Be nothing better than beating them at Kogarah and ending their season.

The only problem would be every media person will jump on our bandwagon well and truly.

TheRev

First Grade
Yeah I looked through the games, 90% chance we will play Canberra.

Frankly its exactly what we need to get the hoodoo off our back, its not actually a must-win match for us, and a win would be just the confidence we need going into a break till Week 3.

Canberra will be cocky after their last win & nervous in their first finals match, and its also our home game.

If we did lose, then so be it, we go into sudden death, not the end of the world either, but id rate us to beat any of the final sides, the main finals threats, Melbourne/Brisbane will be out already.

hardbaby

Coach
I DO NOT want to play Canberra in Week 1 of the finals. It's all about momentum now. Build towards the Grand Final and grow in confidence as we go. The fact is Canberra love playing the Dragons. They belt them in the forwards every time and that is our archilles heel. Our forwards are small by comparison. It is probably our only weakness.

Hopefully the Dogs will roll a weakened Manly (Watmough and Matai are playing at 70% and Stewart will be suspended) next week. But if that doesn't happen we will play Canberra. We will be playing at home with a full strength and fresh side and we should beat them. Canberra has been up for 6 weeks now and will do it much tougher than last game. But sports hoodoos have made me a lot of money over the years. Only a fool would want to play Canberra.

ebbedfred

Bench
I DO NOT want to play Canberra in Week 1 of the finals. It's all about momentum now. Build towards the Grand Final and grow in confidence as we go.

I agree here, whilst I think we can and would beat Canberra, obviously you want the easiest game possible, and right now, Manly is that game. They are no easy beats, but down on form and confidence and they have injury and suspension problems.

If we go out and get bashed around by Canberra and lose, we then have 1 week to get over injuries from that game and back up and play a team coming off a win. The mental scars of losing another semi too could play havoc.

If we end up playing Canberra so be it, I think we'll win, but I still think we'd have a better chance of beating Manly.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Bring on Canberra I say.

I'm still copping it from raider supporters.

What you have to remember is that the Raiders were playing for their season in Canberra when they beat the Dragons.

Week 1 of the finals at HOME I'll be much more confident.

_snafu_

Immortal
After first thinking that I would prefer to avoid Canberra in the finals, I am now inclined to think that playing Canberra in week 1 would not be such a bad thing. This is for the reasons stated by Godz.

I think the biggest factor in our favour is the combination of fact that we went through so much disappointment last year with the boys ready to atone, and Canberra's young and inexperienced team (who I think will be a force to be reckoned with for the next few seasons - if they can keep their talent).

TheRev

First Grade
After first thinking that I would prefer to avoid Canberra in the finals, I am now inclined to think that playing Canberra in week 1 would not be such a bad thing.

Exactly.. I was worried too, then I thought.. harden up lol.. we need to win a big game and get the monkey off our back.. if we get Canberra (and its not must win for us), then we will be so pumped, we will retain that confidence going into the sudden death in Round 3.

Rather do it now, than face our first true test in Sudden Death, and if we lose.. so be it.. if were tough enough we win in Round 2, if not, then were not good enough frankly!

STG 002

First Grade
we could easily be playing manly.
raiders might give brisbane a good beating, say 20 points.
if we beat souths,
manly already have big problems,
if the dogs win by 18 or more.
between the 2 games there needs to be 38 point swing.
we'd be playing manly 1 v 8 as the raiders might jump manly.
so many permutations.

Glenn Stewart facing 4-6 week suspension NRL Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:47:00

Manly second rower Glenn Stewart has been charged with a grade five striking offence and could be ruled out until the 2010 NRL Premiership Grand Final.

Stewart is one of three players charged by the NRL Judiciary today.

Stewart faces a 4-6 week suspension following the incident with Braith Anasta in the Eagles 30-14 loss to the Roosters yesterday. If he takes the early plea, the four-week suspension will see him return for the grand final should the Eagles make it.

Roosters second rower Daniel Conn was charged with a grade four careless high tackle on Brent Kite and will miss one week with an early plea.

to_ddeath

Coach
Won't happen most likely, which is good cos I want vengeance for the Snots game last sunday week....

T.

HowHigh

Coach
I'd actually like to play Canberra. Sure we have a bad record against them but it would be quite satisfying to knock them out. If we're going to go all the way, shouldn't matter who we play, we should be able to beat anyone.

Red_Vee

Juniors
it doesn't matter who we play, hoodoos or not. if we want to win this comp we have to beat whoever we play. if we can't beat canberra or anyone else then we simply aren't good, end of story.

it's a new comp after this weekend and we have the team to win, they just need to believe they can. if they do believe, no one, not even campese and co will beat us to the premiership we quite frankly deserve.

it doesn't matter who we play, hoodoos or not. if we want to win this comp we have to beat whoever we play. if we can't beat canberra or anyone else then we simply aren't good, end of story.

it's a new comp after this weekend and we have the team to win, they just need to believe they can. if they do believe, no one, not even campese and co will beat us to the premiership we quite frankly deserve.

Amen to that brother

Latest posts