What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weidler the worm: Sharks coaching dream team

Sharks put dream team into action
By Danny Weidler
November 9, 2003

Cronulla's dream coaching team is starting to take shape, with Stuart Raper and Steve Rogers pinpointed as the men to resurrect the struggling club.

The Sun-Herald revealed several weeks ago that the pair would work together once current coach Chris Anderson had reached a settlement with the club.

Anderson returns from the Kangaroos tour on November 26, and his future will be settled within a week of his return.

The only question is whether Raper or Rogers is deemed to be head coach.

Raper, recently appointed as Anderson's assistant at the Sharks, is favoured to take the job.

However, there have been suggestions over the past week that Rogers would be the man coaching the Sharks next season, with Raper as his assistant in order to get through a potentially turbulent period.

Sharks general manager Rogers is known to be repositioning himself in the structure of the club.

Some of his duties are being given to other staff members as the anticipation grows that he will play a leading role in the Sharks' rejuvenation.

There is no question that Rogers has the standing and respect at the club to play a role either as Raper's assistant or as head coach, and it is certain he will be deeply involved in the running of the first-grade side next season if Anderson is missed.

Anderson's manager George Mimis has not discussed his client's future with the Sharks while Anderson has been overseas. But he has held meetings with the club over other matters.

Early in the week, Rogers was unable to elaborate on any coaching future he may have with the club.

"I had a few people come up to me at the club during the week to ask me if I would be coaching first grade," he said.

"I can tell you that is not on my agenda and there has definitely been no decision made about anything like that, and there won't be until we talk to Chris.

"Coaching is something I have not pursued at all.

"Next thing, people will be saying that I'm marking the lines on the field and running the sand.

"To be honest, coaching is something that I would like to have tried, but in reality, it has probably passed me by."

Greg Pierce, the man Anderson sacked as his assistant coach on the Kangaroos tour, is emerging as a key administrative figure once again for the Sharks.

If Rogers takes on a role in coaching, Pierce is likely to step up into the general manager's role at the club.

It is also likely that Anderson's coaching team, which includes Simon Gillies as head conditioner, will stay on with the Sharks.

They have given no indication they would leave if Anderson departed.

Anderson's former right-hand man Theo Burgess will also have a role with the club if Anderson is not there.

While Anderson has received support from high-profile players Brett Kimmorley and Phil Bailey, there is growing support for Raper among the players, whom he is coaching now while implementing Anderson's instructions.

Raper has been running Sharks training and has received good support and response from the squad.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/08/1068243309005.html

Macca

Coach
ShireShark said:
Raper has been running Sharks training and has received good support and response from the squad.

Was he expecting the players to revolt against the already appointed assistant coach because Ando's future is still undecided.

The quotes there from Steve Rogers suggest he has no plans to coach next year, yet the reporter seems to insist that Rogers is a special for the job. I think this is irresponsible reporting for a start.

Why does he continue to write negative articles about CA? He is promoting the thought of Rogers coaching in the attempt to continue his vendetta against Opes.

Then in the last line of his article as I have quoted above, its as if he is saying "the players now prefer Raper, anyway."

Does he think we don't know what he is doing? Well, some of us are smarter than that.

Scandal sells papers and, with the off season in full swing, they've got nothing better to do than try to dig up the dirt on the club. They've been feeding on the conflict between Anderson and the Cronulla board for a long time now and this article really comes as no surprise. For them. it's probably a bit of change from reporting Souths or Wests latest drug scandal or some high profile player getting on the turps and trashing a hotel room.

Whenever I read the paper, if there is an article on the Sharks and it's reported by our good buddies Wiedler or Wilson, I just ignore it. I agree with McSharkie, it's all just a sh** stir and reeks of amateur journalism, trying to fill a space with unsubstantiated rumour and innuendo.

Shame Weidler didnt quote his source: Frenzy's post on here "I keep hearing Rogers."

he says there have been suggestions about rogers
he doesnt say where from
THEN, most tellingly, not a single quote backs it up...and rogers denies the whole thing and says he's left his run too late!

Special K

Coach
sullyfan said:
What if it turns out to be true though? :?
..There is more chance of you getting roots from holly valance then anything that he says coming true.