What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to our new NRL Expansion Forum

The Partisan

Would people agree that the NRL has a greater potential to expand the code then its rivals ?

Talking over the next decade or two here. Relocation not out of the question either.

Tigerlaird

Juniors
Would people agree that the NRL has a greater potential to expand the code then its rivals ?

Talking over the next decade or two here. Relocation not out of the question either.
Yes it does.

NRL could honestly have had at least one team in every state outside of NSW and QLD by now if they really wanted to. We have the money and resources for that.

I fear that the staunch sydney bias and parochialism within the ARL comission will ensure NRL's slow death, and the game will be overtaken by A-League as Australia's No.2 code (AFL being the first).

blue bags

First Grade
Yes it does.

NRL could honestly have had at least one team in every state outside of NSW and QLD by now if they really wanted to. We have the money and resources for that.

I fear that the staunch sydney bias and parochialism within the ARL comission will ensure NRL's slow death, and the game will be overtaken by A-League as Australia's No.2 code (AFL being the first).
With my plan. Each major City. In each state
Will have a team the fans can call there own
Follow. Barack for that team. Club
Including Pacific island nations aswell
I'm looking at 3 new team's
Take NRL to 20 teams

Perth Red

Post Whore

Internationally yes, domestically not likely. They have a 30 year head start in Australia and invest an awful lot more money in it than we will ever do.

jim_57

Staff member

Definitely more credible options than AFL, they are down to Perth 3 or Canberra, maybe a 3rd Queensland or 3rd NSW side, NT or NZ at an absolute stretch. They are 2 teams ahead of us though with no other nations involved so that’s to be somewhat expected.

I’d say relocation is unlikely, not impossible if a club truly went to the wall but probably more likely the NRL would step in and hand them a lifeline.

The NRL could offer a bounty for relocation with a price tag on each location. $x million over the grant for 10 years if a club wants to relocate to Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, CQ, Gosford, Wellington, Christchurch, Perth, Adelaide etc. scaled in order of strategic value.

Expand in the meantime and take places off the table as they become unavailable. Probably still unlikely any would take it the way things are.

Titanic

First Grade
The 1995 competition (20): Manly, Canberra, Broncos, Sharks, Knights, Dogs, Roosters, Warriors, Penrith, Gold Coast, Souths, Parra and Cows plus Dragons (Saints/Steelers) and Tigers (Balmain/Wests) minus Crushers, Reds and Bears.

The 2024 landscape: Since 1995 we have shredded 3 Sydney-based clubs while significantly increasing the financial modelling and adding Melbourne (new territory) and Redcliffe (Brisbane could always support 2).

The League has learned a lot over the last twenty years, so there seems to be a pretty good argument to add Perth and Kiwi 2 while taking the public money on offer to implement the PNG / West Pasifika "Great Wall of Rugby League" strategy.

I flippantly add that poking the bear is always a dangerous move. Perhaps China could sponsor the whole competition, or dare I mention it, start a rebel one ... after all the skinny coach will be available shortly.

Last edited:

Latest posts