What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

I agree that gaming can/will take over kids participation numbers but is isnt much of a spectator thing so I cant see it swallowing the whole sports world in terms of TV etc. People mostly grow out of gaming right (not everyone but most people).
Also, what makes you think basketball might be the sport to take over?
The biggest youtube channels are overwhelmingly related to gaming, and e-sports are a big thing in Asia and growing quickly in North America and Europe.

I recall reading that Australia has the largest NBA season pass holders outside of USA. Also, every year I've noticed growing interest in the NBA playoffs, more NBA jerseys on the streets, NBA players more recognisable etc. The NBL won't be a threat but the NBA is certainly looking at growing their global footprint (and the most likely to be successful out of all the American sports). NBA is bigger than football in China which is quite amazing.

T-Boon

Coach
I recall reading that Australia has the largest NBA season pass holders outside of USA. Also, every year I've noticed growing interest in the NBA playoffs, more NBA jerseys on the streets, NBA players more recognisable etc. The NBL won't be a threat but the NBA is certainly looking at growing their global footprint (and the most likely to be successful out of all the American sports). NBA is bigger than football in China which is quite amazing.

If the NBA expanded and included teams from Sydney and Melbourne it would take over but otherwise I cant see it.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Is it too soon to start a “Who will be the 18th team?” thread?

Under the current hierarchy I’d say it’s between NZ2, Brisbane 3, Central Coast or CQ. Should be Perth.

When is also a good question, I don’t think they stick with 17 for too long, 5 years max.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I’m pretty sure this the new legit Instagram page for the Dolphins. Interesting to see the dolphin logo used in the bottom right. Also interesting that they’ve used the old nrl logo….EF6F1EC4-259D-41EF-9B17-ECE6F66D1A83.jpeg

toomuchsoup

Juniors
That’s still the NRL logo, just not the Telstra Premiership logo (it’s the same logo the nrl app uses
Ahh, right. I also found this instagram page under the name ‘Queensland Dolphins’ which seems like a pretty similarly made page to the other Dolphins page. Could just be a fan page, or maybe the dolphins just grabbed the username incase they needed it? Potential name? You’d surely think not…6C367773-4574-4DAD-883F-08FFC2E662C7.jpeg

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Dont think we'll see an official logo colors, jersey until a name has been chosen because with the logo at least the team name will appear there

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow didnt see that coming! They are not going to call themselves anything other than 'Than Dolphins' according to Abdo! I hate the S15 way of just using a nickname with no geographic describer. Weird move imo. Maybe they are saving it for moving back to redcliffe one day??

Announcing the move at RLC on Wednesday, Abdo also confirmed the 'Redcliffe' part of the club's name had been dropped and would not be replaced, with the franchise to simply be known as 'The Dolphins' in the NRL Telstra Premiership moving forward.

Is it too soon to start a “Who will be the 18th team?” thread?
636f2f31245f399c7773c87e10f8bed8